Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speeding things up...?

Hello all,

I've been hammocking for about three years now. I love it. My only problem is the "fiddle factor," and it's not so much a problem as an annoyance I'd like to solve.

I currently have an ENO with a separate bug net. Of course, there's a tarp, too. I'm trying to figure out a way to streamline the set up. Now, I have one rope for the tarp (a continuous ridgeline), one for the bug net, and a daisy chain for the suspension. It all works...but there has gotta be an easier way than I'm doing it.

I've seen some of the Dutch bling, and it looks great. I'm not all that concerned about super lightweight options (I'm canoeing in northern MN, so 97% of the time the weight is in the bottom of a canoe). I just want an easier way to get set up.

I apologize if there are already threads on this topic...If so, I'd be happy to read through old ones.

Thanks in advance!

Carmike

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I started with ENO hammock and tarp. They did require a lot of adjustments to get just right. Hammock and tarp are so small there is no room for error. Switching to longer hammock and better tarp have made set-up easier and faster.

After three years perhaps you should consider upgrading your gear.

Good luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Simplify the bugnet with a Fronkey style that stays on the hammock all the time, no separate line.

Simplify the suspension on the hammock by going to straps and cinch buckles or straps and a Becket hitch or J-bend knot.

Continuous ridge line for the tarp is already pretty simple since it's one piece.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Go with an integrated bug net with strap suspension and to speed things up even more go for a bridge hammock where the under quilt clips on to the four corners and your done in addition the quilts fit tighter you stay warmer.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Do you have a ridgeline on your hammock? If not you could add one to your setup and possibly leave the bugnet attached to the hammock.

With the daisy chain suspension systems Dutch has the mantis that could speed up time setting up your hammock and maybe using carabiners to go around the tree ends.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Yup a ridgeline and integrated bug net will greatly speed up setup. I also recently switched over to cinch buckles and like it much better than the other methods I have used. They make it super easy to adjust the hang.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Being relatively new, but only having 1 suspension for the hammock/bugnet (i.e., an integrated bug net) with beetle buckles, and then a continuous ridgeline with a stingerz from Dutch is quite quick to depoly. Another thing to consider is quicker packing up and snake skins drastically cut the time required to put your tarp away

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Something I did for long distance hiking to eliminate fiddle-factor was to leave my underquilt attached to my hammock when I stuffed it down into my pack liner inside my pack. All I had to do was set up my suspension which I kept in a separate bag, then clip the continuous loop on and pull out my hammock and clip the other end.

Dutch-biners made attachment quick and easy from suspension to hammock, and I use Dutch-clips for my tree straps. Whoopies and toggles are my preferred method for adjustments but cinch-buckles are pretty hassle free.

For tarp I use zing-it with dutch-hooks on the tree side and Dutch-fleaz on the tarp side. But if your using a continuous ridge line I would check out the Dutch-flyz or Dutch-wasp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakeskins will help also if no one mentioned it yet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have a Dream hammock darien and an 11 ft hex tarp and have the same problem you have. Not that it is too difficult to set up, but I want to speed up the process by which the system is up. It really depends on the suspension system that you are using (I have a whoopie sling) I have attached my tarp via 2 prusik knots to my whoopie sling. I am also in the process of securing a pair of Dutchware titanium clips to speed up the process of attaching the tree huggers and suspension, some hookworms to speed up the tent stake deployment. It will also make keeping everything much easier. Tarp and hammock goes together in the same double ended stuff sack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast