Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can hammocks really sleep this good ?

Hi all , I am a new hanger but a old guy (62) I recently acquired a ENO double from a neighbor because I had heard that they were more comfortable to sleep in rather than sleeping on rocks and roots as I have been doing my whole life.

I hung the hammock in my basement workshop to test it out and work out the bugs, I have only tried it three nights so far but I have a question.

I normally wake up each morning from a bed and I am a little sore and stiff for a few minutes but it usually goes away rather quickly and I just think it is part of getting older.

Now in a hammock each morning I wake up and I do not think I have any back soreness, I roll out of the hammock and I feel good.

Is this possible?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Yup. If I was single I’d be a full time hanger. Even when I side sleep in a hammock I wake up feeling better then in a bed. Welcome to the magic

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm the one hold out here. I love hammocks for camping and their comfort can't be beet but if your hammock is more comfortable than your bed then I believe you have the wrong mattress. I can flop, roll, spread out, sleep sideways, etc on my mattress. I can't do any of this in my hammock and it ends up disrupting my sleep. Not as bad as sleeping on the ground in a tent but I simply can not compare sleeping in my house on a mattress to sleeping outside in my hammock. What I can compare is sleeping outside in a tent vs a hammock and the hammock wins hands down in this case. As far as sleeping in a hammock in my home, that's not going to happen as I'm happily married and want to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I'm the one hold out here. I love hammocks for camping and their comfort can't be beet but if your hammock is more comfortable than your bed then I believe you have the wrong mattress. I can flop, roll, spread out, sleep sideways, etc on my mattress. I can't do any of this in my hammock and it ends up disrupting my sleep. Not as bad as sleeping on the ground in a tent but I simply can not compare sleeping in my house on a mattress to sleeping outside in my hammock. What I can compare is sleeping outside in a tent vs a hammock and the hammock wins hands down in this case. As far as sleeping in a hammock in my home, that's not going to happen as I'm happily married and want to keep it that way.
    What he said.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Something good can be said about the right mattress, but a mattress costs a lot of money, too much money to be changing very often. Hammocks are cheap, even the pricey ones, compared to mattresses. Several years ago I fell in love with my hammock and became a full time hammock ear sleeper. I have not looked back. We go on trips and I am stuck having to try to sleep in a bed, miserable nights, no exceptions. I turn 77 this summer, and my hammock is my piece of mind. Oh yeah, I have a good assortment of hammocks, some 10.5 ft , some 11 ft, and one bridge, they all get the job done well. Hammocks aren't for everyone, but then neither are beds.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Images
    I have a hammock indoors at home, but like Slug, I cannot sleep in it. Something about head positioning I think.

On the trail after hauling a pack up a mountain, I need some rest. I wake up sore on a ground pad, but not sore at all from a hammock. Pretty easy decision for me. (I wasn't going to sleep either way)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I find myself sleeping more and more in my hammocks. It's getting harder and harder to get a good night sleep in a bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love hammocks, and the idea of hammocks. But to say hammocks are the fix for all situations is an error.
    There are times for one, and times for the other.
    Not all ground pads are equal, not all tents are equal, not all hammocks are equal.
    An Exped Downmat on snow is not like an 1/8" ccf.
    I have been quite comfortable on an Exped Downmat 7 in an igloo. I try to make one here when we have enough snow. I made a quinzee a few years ago.
    The right gear for the situation is everything.

Apples and oranges.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    I love hammocks, and the idea of hammocks. But to say hammocks are the fix for all situations is an error.
    There are times for one, and times for the other.
    Not all ground pads are equal, not all tents are equal, not all hammocks are equal.
    An Exped Downmat on snow is not like an 1/8" ccf.
    I have been quite comfortable on an Exped Downmat 7 in an igloo. I try to make one here when we have enough snow. I made a quinzee a few years ago.
    The right gear for the situation is everything.

Apples and oranges.

Ken in NC
    I think you’re overstating the obvious. The sentiment remains...where trees or other anchor points are available, the hammock remains the most comfortable sleep solution.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    snwcmpr (Snow Camper?) how cool to experience an igloo.

A hammock while hiking is heaven. While I love inside and outside hammocking at home, it’s usually for lounging and for the occasional outside overnighter at home. I’ll take a hammock over a couch or chair any day. Maybe because I have 1st rate hammocks and cheapo 3rd rate furniture. Whatever

Our foam mattress bed is comfortable, easy to make, and a bargain. https://casper.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast