Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power is the biggest concern. I have alternately used a 12 volt marine battery with a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter [less humidifier] with a Philips Resperonics, a Resmed 12v DC unit [less humidifier] direct to marine battery with proper cables, and a Transcend Mini with supplied battery for remote locations. The Transcend battery is usually good for 2 nights without re-charging, but is an expensive option. I have done multiple nights with a marine battery with no problems, but that dang thing weighs a TON, and is only good for camping close to the car. Secondly is humidification. Don't expect to off the grid and get a humidifier to work... Next is winter conditions. unless you get the machine into a WARM area, such as in your underquilt with you, expect to breath in some very COLD air! I have been able to stay somewhat comfortable in an enclosed hammock environment [overcover] with the CPAP suspended from the ridgeline because of the warm air rising. I have not tried mouth pieces or the like as of yet. I have moderate sleep apnea and sometimes I just do without the machine, however that is not recommended. FYI, the best price I have found on the Transcend Mini is a refurbished unit at Second Wind Cpap is anyone is interested.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I have a Respironics System One which will run on 12 V directly, I have a 4.5# 12V lithium battery (400WH) ... long story short, it is good for in excess of 10 days at 7 hours a night, at 5-6 cm.

Once you get a system connected directly connected to the battery(no inverter), the biggest issue becomes the pressure setting you require, there is no magic, the higher the pressure the higher the power draw.

As far as condensation collecting as the temp falls ... after having that happen a few times I realized it occurs right at my nose piece, the exhalation is condensing right on the cold nose piece, then runs down into the hose or back into the nose. Easy solution for me is to just throw my down jacket over my head .... this keeps the whole head area warm enough that no condensation occurs.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I have a Respironics System One which will run on 12 V directly, I have a 4.5# 12V lithium battery (400WH) ... long story short, it is good for in excess of 10 days at 7 hours a night, at 5-6 cm.

Once you get a system connected directly connected to the battery(no inverter), the biggest issue becomes the pressure setting you require, there is no magic, the higher the pressure the higher the power draw.

As far as condensation collecting as the temp falls ... after having that happen a few times I realized it occurs right at my nose piece, the exhalation is condensing right on the cold nose piece, then runs down into the hose or back into the nose. Easy solution for me is to just throw my down jacket over my head .... this keeps the whole head area warm enough that no condensation occurs.

Brian
    Hi, can you post the info on the battery [brand, model etc.]. That sounds like a good option.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    IG this is a link to the battery type I have ... it was a similar kit, mine was from 4 years ago, that is a lifetime in electronics .... but this should give you a good idea, there should be something similar to replace what I have.

https://www.powerstream.com/BP-lithium-cpap.htm

Brian

PS did take a look at current offering, this may do: http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/CPAP-...pap-12-3-5.htm
    Last edited by Cruiser51; 04-08-2018 at 20:25.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I set mine on my camp stool right next to me. It works great. I also made a sleeve for the hose to insulate it. I cant sleep in my hammock without my cpap anymore due to the extreme sore throat I get, so I only use my hammock now when car camping and had to go back to a tent for backpacking.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

I went for years not using my CPAP unless I could run a long extension cord at an established camp site, which was pretty rare. This year I used my jobs bonus money on this battery that is advertised as made for CPAP machines like mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-CPAP-...pSrc=srch&th=1

I have used this for three camping trips with our Scout troop, and it has been great. I have a Resperonics System One, with a detachable humidifier. I detach it, and just run the hose from the main CPAP unit itself. So far I have set the unit and the battery in the Resperonics travel case on the ground under my hammock, and run the hose and mask up to me in the hammock. I have thought about setting up a gear hammock above my head to hold the travel case and contents. I will have to experiment with this in the coming months.

I have a large tarp for Scout camping, so everything will fit. If I go backpacking, and have a smaller tarp that just covers the hammock, I will have to come up with another plan.

I think I can get four nights of six hours per night with what I have now. I will have to see how the battery performance does over time. The battery is still new, and I don't know if they degrade over time.

I hope that helps.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    I went for years not using my CPAP unless I could run a long extension cord at an established camp site, which was pretty rare. This year I used my jobs bonus money on this battery that is advertised as made for CPAP machines like mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-CPAP-...pSrc=srch&th=1

I have used this for three camping trips with our Scout troop, and it has been great. I have a Resperonics System One, with a detachable humidifier. I detach it, and just run the hose from the main CPAP unit itself. So far I have set the unit and the battery in the Resperonics travel case on the ground under my hammock, and run the hose and mask up to me in the hammock. I have thought about setting up a gear hammock above my head to hold the travel case and contents. I will have to experiment with this in the coming months.

I have a large tarp for Scout camping, so everything will fit. If I go backpacking, and have a smaller tarp that just covers the hammock, I will have to come up with another plan.

I think I can get four nights of six hours per night with what I have now. I will have to see how the battery performance does over time. The battery is still new, and I don't know if they degrade over time.

I hope that helps.
    That sounds great that you can get 4 nights off of a single charge, do you know what pressure setting your machine is on?

I have been looking at the same battery and plan on making a cpap and battery ridgeline hanging shelf.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm lucky enough that I can go 2 or 3 days without using mine. In the hammock my head is elevated enough that I do not obstruct as much as in my bed at home. I sleep pretty well in the woods and don't feel much ill effect without my CPAP. Maybe try a night at home in the hammock without yours to see how you feel.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I've finally got my CPAP system all dialed in. My setup is in TrainSlug's second link. I have purchased two of the batteries now and i'm good for 4 days. Sure it's a PITA, but it allows me to get out.

In colder weather i take my hose and lay it across my chest under the quilt. Got down to 22 a couple of weekends ago and I was fine.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

I have been using my 12VDC Respironics CPAP machine (sans humidifier) in our camping trailer for a while now. Last year we did purchase land where we "camp" with the trailer. This gave me access to 120VAC full time, but I wanted to also camp with my hammock. These days going without my CPAP machine is a big no-no, as I tend to just not sleep. Also makes me a bit grumpy for the next day.

I am now planning on a father/daughter camp trip this summer without the trailer, so figuring out my CPAP power and hanging location became a big deal to me. I want to be able to go out for extended camping without having to worry whether my power source will be there or not, so I started exploring the idea of a solar power system to replenish my battery each day after a night running the machine. The battery I picked is really made for camping, so it is a nice little package, but is a Lithium battery. This means that the voltage requirements differ than a Lead Acid type battery (standard car battery). To make sure that I controlled the charge from the solar panel, I needed to buy a controler specific to Lithium battery usage. Also, to make the electrical connections between the solar panel, the controller, and the battery, I found these terminating male and female connectors.
    This is what I've done so far:

Battery - Lithium Polymer type camp battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Solar Panel (borrowing from father-in-law... aka using his $$) - https://overlandsolar.com/collection...-solar-charger
    Solar Controller - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Connectors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already have the DC power cable for my machine and it plugs directly into the battery's 12VDC outlet.

I should have everything being delivered this evening, so I am looking forward to setting it up in my backyard to try out. I'll post up once I have confirmed everything works!

I hope this helps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast