Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch

Foothills Trail - 8 Day Westbound - NFS (Not For Sissies)

We set out on an eight day trip headed westbound on the 77 mile Foothills Trail.

Being average hikers, we wanted extra time to linger and thought we'd rather be comfortable at camp than ultralight trailblazers. So, we packed up our 40+ lb packs (ouch) and set out on our journey.

Special thanks to swampfox for his generosity in helping to plan for this trip. The waypoints and spreadsheet he provided were instrumental in helping us along the way and setting a reasonable schedule to hit the best spots as we camped.

I'd also highly recommend Jim Simpson aka Taz as a great option for a shuttle to make the hike much more enriched and possible for single car hikers. Great guy that was full of knowledge and insight about the area.

The Foothills Trail is a real gem and I've never been in such quiet and pristine areas in my life. We walked through areas where the only sound you could hear was wind. We spent 3 days at a time without seeing any man-made modern conveniences. We traveled from lush winterized laurel valleys, to hibernating hardwood forests, to beautiful mountain piney woods, ambled through the warm fishing grounds of the Chattooga River Valley area, and finished out the trip wandering the leaf fall and burnouts of the Oconee State Park.

20180323_132352.jpg

It was a real challenge and a surprising treat. Solitude, stiff terrain, and clean water was aplenty. Beginning at Table rock gave more than we expected.

20180323_131209 -2.jpg

Laurel and Rhododendron were everywhere and though we saw very little wildlife, being on the cusp of seasons imparted an extra sense of stillness and calm that is rare. The flora was breathtaking, even with the lack of fauna.

20180323_165546.jpg

We walked for days in a mountain mist. We had rain on two occasions. During both we were comfortably tucked away under tarps in downy goodness. Mother Nature was kind and the mist and overcast only added to the enchantment of the natural beauty and stillness. Many times the silence would last for hours, only to be broken by our voices, or the soothing sound of running water.

20180327_155536_HDR.jpg

Our accommodations were more than adequate and the camping opportunities were varied and plentiful.

20180324_175218.jpg

20180326_085131.jpg

20180327_173603.jpg

In the land of steps and bridges.

bridge1.jpg

Heartbreak steps.jpg

Stairway mountaintop.jpg

horsepasture bridge.jpg

We walked.

One microclimate led to the next.

20180324_154955-2.jpg

20180326_121948.jpg

laurel valley.jpg

We finally got legs under us around day six and burnt up the final sixteen miles on day seven, saving ourselves a day and avoiding the rains that were to set in on the final day of our scheduled hike.

The trip was incredible and while it was very challenging, the almost mystical quality of the hike was really indescribable. Words won't do justice.

If you get a chance to check out the foothills trail, it's worth the look. Great trail! Very well maintained and the few people we met were all very friendly. I'll call it a hidden gem and I know it won't stay that way forever.

Given the great organization behind the trail and the quality coordination between the various entities, I can only see this trail improving and becoming more popular.

So, for the reasons we seek these adventures, whether to challenge ourselves physically, to find solitude, to see remote beauty, or to just find a good place to hang, the foothills trail is a great place for it.

20180328_170227.jpg

Happy Hanging, Folks.
    Last edited by Cabmanhang; 04-06-2018 at 21:43.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Wow. Looks like a fantastic hike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images

Great photo!

Thanks for posting your report & pics.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal9 View Post
    Wow. Looks like a fantastic hike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It was a great trip. The challenge is real though. We struggled with 11 miles a couple of days early on. There were some folks doing the eastbound route in five days, and one couple passed us westbound on the last day who did it in five. Eight was more like it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post

Great photo!

Thanks for posting your report & pics.
    Thanks obdewlax. Didn't want to spend too much time taking photos, but some of the areas were just breathtaking and, honestly, the photos don't do any justice. Still, the desire to share a glimpse of the beauty on that trail is overwhelming.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Looks really cool, never heard of that trail. Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great write up on the trip and beautiful photos. Those miles would be hard for me so completely understand taking your time.

Did you go in March?

And did you resupply part way thru or carry food for the planned 8 days?

Definitely on my list to do at some point.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaker View Post
    Looks really cool, never heard of that trail. Thanks for sharing
    Thanks Brewmaker. It was a very cool trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Great write up on the trip and beautiful photos. Those miles would be hard for me so completely understand taking your time.

Did you go in March?

And did you resupply part way thru or carry food for the planned 8 days?

Definitely on my list to do at some point.
    Thanks Paul. Trying to give a little back. I've really enjoyed all the reports you've provided.

It was March 23-29.

They were tough miles going westbound and I think the eastbound route might be my next route on this trail. Fortunately the trail got easier after day four. We did a food drop on day five, but carrying the five days of food was heavy enough. There were zero resupply opportunities. Also, we had to prepare for winter Temps, so our gear was heavy and bulky. Sometimes I felt like I was carrying another person on my back. I'm no ultralighter, but carrying 43lbs over that terrain made me consider some changes.

I also discovered that a ten degree burrow is way too hot for me when the Temps are in the low thirties. So, I could shed some bulk and weight there.

I have a newfound healthy respect for the people who hard charge these hills. My legs just aren't there yet. Plus, I hike to camp. The joy for me is not the walk, but the beauty along the way and making the camp be as fun and comfortable as possible.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    20180323_113132.jpg
    This was my pregnant backpack. I named her Tabitha.

20180324_101945.jpg
    Cantrell Homeplace. Great campsite nearly nine miles in. Boy Scout cistern for water and one of the greatest firepit seating arrangements I have ever seen. Multiple hanging and tenting opportunities.

woodpecker roids.jpg
    I would love to see the size of this woodpecker.

laurel fork.jpg
    Recognizing the efforts of others to restore balance to natural environments once destroyed.

lifeblood.jpg
    Oh, dear lifeblood, without you I could not do this.
    Last edited by Cabmanhang; 04-07-2018 at 10:28.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Carrying 43 lbs from Table Rock up to Sassafras Mtn would be a tough day 1 for sure. I liked the old Cantrell Homestead as well. I got a kick out of the fire pits and rock chairs that people have made from the old foundation/fireplace stones. I've never through hiked it, but keep hoping to get the time.
    Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Cabmanhang,
    I appreciate your kind words and glad I could be of some help. I love a good trip report with pictures and this one is awesome. Glad you had such a great hike. I've done it westbound like you and remember how good it felt to get to Whitewater Falls and know all the hardest was behind me. That was a tough five days. We will be starting eastbound in a few weeks. Your report has got me stoked!

Swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast