KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    Here you go...
    First Aid Kit...
    I add safety pins to this kit. They can clip onto anywhere and can fix a lot of little problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I read that you are taking kids, I suddenly had all kinds of questions going through my mind.

Where are you going, and how long of a trek are you planning to take?
    How old are your kids and what experience have they had backpacking?
    Do you have adequate shelter for everyone?
    Does everyone have "broken in" boots, rain gear, temperature appropriate clothing?
    Is there a camp ground at the trail head? Can you weather the storm there and start the trek in fair weather?

If this is your first trek, I would sure wait for better conditions. You should ease into this thing, since it takes a few times to learn equipment and sharpen skills.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    When I read that you are taking kids, I suddenly had all kinds of questions going through my mind.

Where are you going, and how long of a trek are you planning to take?
    How old are your kids and what experience have they had backpacking?
    Do you have adequate shelter for everyone?
    Does everyone have "broken in" boots, rain gear, temperature appropriate clothing?
    Is there a camp ground at the trail head? Can you weather the storm there and start the trek in fair weather?

If this is your first trek, I would sure wait for better conditions. You should ease into this thing, since it takes a few times to learn equipment and sharpen skills.
    We are car camping at a primitive site. If weather were severe, we could comfortably sleep in the van with seats down. There is a loop trail and the end of a thru trail both available for hiking but we aren’t breaking camp. We are hoping to backpack soon, so this is our first baby step. Knowing Deep South summers, the likelihood of no rain in the forecast is slim.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    How did you make out?

Weather here in North LA was pretty rough when the front came through last night so I assume you slept in the van. Hope everyone make it through the night ok.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Over time I have forgotten most the things you've mentioned - it's part of learning, don't worry about making mistakes. But don't be foolish either.

The web and your outdoor store (REI) are full of "lists". But for me, the best thing to do is just "Go out there." - but not too far from home at first.

One time I thought I had the whole tent but I had only grabbed the fly and poles. It was not one of those tents/fly combinations that was to designed to use the rain fly only as an option.
    However, I was able to create a cover for my hiking partner and myself. In the morning, little streams of water were flowing under our therm-a-rests, but we were dry. I kept watching the sky and saw break in the clouds. It momentarily stopped raining and I was put just enough water in the pan for one cup of coffee (so it would boil faster). There were just a few minutes to heat the water, add instant StarBucks, and hand a cup of coffee to my hike-mate (who was still snug in her sleeping bag). To this day, I'm still her "hero". The point is, little errors allow you to be creative and more important, realize you can find solutions.

Now all the above dynamics do not include kids along the way. If it were me, as early as possible I would assign them chores so they become contributors, not just "audience". For example, if using a tent, they can help find the site to put it up - check for level ground, pick up sticks/rock/pine cones. If using hammocks, and they are old enough to make distance judgements, they can assist in finding appropriate trees. Note that you can hang two hammocks side by side with one set of trees. Instead of running the suspension from the middle of the tree (usual way), you can run the suspension so each hammock runs off the opposite side of the tree. So you have two hammocks off one set of trees and they will be separated by the diameter of the tree.

At home, I play the intended scenario out in my mind, imagining what I'll wear/eat and where I'll stay. But of course if it all works according to plan, what's the point in going

So I'd say it's important to bring "enough" stuff, but also develop the confidence and experience that you can deal with things that come up.

My bottom line is "just get out there" (but not to far at first). You will learn what you need to learn.

In that light, I encourage you, if possible, to try some solo trips. When I go out with others, I'm considering them and keep the plan well within comfort boundaries. As such, I don't learn very much. When you are by yourself, you quickly learn what needs to be done to set up camp - because no one is going to do it for you. You learn to see what needs to be done. You learn what you might forget and you learn to maybe ask people not to interrupt you while packing - note, with rock climbers it is a religion that no one talks to you while you are putting on your climbing harness (and it is checked by your climbing partner after it's on). Then, when you go with others, you can jump in and help out without people having to tell you what to do or how to do it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkali View Post
    How did you make out?

Weather here in North LA was pretty rough when the front came through last night so I assume you slept in the van. Hope everyone make it through the night ok.
    I got soaked. Bailed. It was never very bad but my tarp did not keep me dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by makingitoutdoors View Post
    I got soaked. Bailed. It was never very bad but my tarp did not keep me dry...
    Did it leak or was the wind blowing the rain or some other mode?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For reference on a future trip. Here is what I take:

https://lighterpack.com/r/fwivpb

Capture.JPG

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Did it leak or was the wind blowing the rain or some other mode?
    Not enough coverage. Cheap tarp. Kids stayed covered but my feet kept getting wet. Need a bigger, preferably hex for rain. Trying again tonight, no rain, just cold.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Experience is the best teacher. I hope you and your family are not letting this experience ruin the fun of the outdoors for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12