Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors

Show up, hike, camp kinda place without permits? in west coasts

Hi, I am looking for locations / places to go in west coasts that I can just show up, backpacking, hiking, camping for 2,3 nights without too much planning in terms of permits and complicated transportation logistics.

I am from east coasts and just want different sceneries in west (CO, CA, UT) where I can take a flight to, get there by shuttle, uber, taxi, bus (or walk), and just start backpacking hiking, and camping. I'm sure the sceneries in west coast will be more "grand", big mountains, rocks (like Zion), national parks, etc.

Just want some idea from local west coasters (or anybody really) who would have any ideas or advice.

thank you!

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When are you going? If you go from July to September Aspen/Snowmass area has a lot to offer in Colorado and you can fly into Aspen (if you don't mind the price tag) You could also take a train from Denver to MT Elbert (Colorado's highest peak)

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors
    Thank you very much for reply. Pretty much almost anytime but summer and fall would be ideal since weather will be warmer.

I will start looking into snowmass area as you mentioned and MT Elbert.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    When are you going? If you go from July to September Aspen/Snowmass area has a lot to offer in Colorado and you can fly into Aspen (if you don't mind the price tag) You could also take a train from Denver to MT Elbert (Colorado's highest peak)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    I highly recommend Douglas Lorain's "Backpacking" books for OR, WA, CA, and ID. Those will give you several lifetimes of options.

Most of the backpacking places in the northwest are wilderness areas, so you would need to at least rent a car to get there. I don't think Uber is going to cut it. If it easily accessed, then it's bound to be crowded, and with crowds come permits.

You might look into circumnavigating Mt Hood in Oregon. It's a popular ski lodge in the winter and great 4-day trail in the summer/fall. Paved road leads right up to the trail head and lodge.
    http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_gu...ount_Hood_Hike

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors
    Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will definitely check out that book and the location you mentioned.

And good point about uber or renting a car . I just didn’t wanna rent one to have it parked while I’m out backpacking for few days but guess it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I highly recommend Douglas Lorain's "Backpacking" books for OR, WA, CA, and ID. Those will give you several lifetimes of options.

Most of the backpacking places in the northwest are wilderness areas, so you would need to at least rent a car to get there. I don't think Uber is going to cut it. If it easily accessed, then it's bound to be crowded, and with crowds come permits.

You might look into circumnavigating Mt Hood in Oregon. It's a popular ski lodge in the winter and great 4-day trail in the summer/fall. Paved road leads right up to the trail head and lodge.
    http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_gu...ount_Hood_Hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    It would be a little tough in the Utah area with your scenario. You could fly into Salt Lake City, and there are many beautiful backpacking/camping areas all within 45-60 minutes drive. Kind of tough with Uber, and there won't be any bus/taxi service to those areas. You would probably end up with a rental car.

In Southern Utah, you could fly into St. George, UT, with relatively easy access to several National Park areas. Permits are (mostly?) required in the National Parks though, and again, you would probably end up with a rental car.

If you can work out the transportation details, you will be well rewarded with some spectacular scenery and memorable hikes.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Washington State has the Olympic National Park, you would be able to take a public bus right to the gate of several camp grounds.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I recommend the guidebooks of Erik the Black to locate some good places out west to hike. He writes trail guides for westerly destinations like PCT trail, Tahoe, Colorado, Utah, and others out west. Just google Erik The Black trail guides to find him.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I think it will be hard to find a place that you could take a taxi or Uber to within reasonable cost that won't just be on the edge of a large town...hence crowded. But there are some local alternate options in many areas that are a possibility without a rental car. Here in Idaho, we have http://www.sawtoothtrans.com that provides shuttle service for backpackers from and to all sorts of locations....with trailhead drop off and pick up.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors
    I agree. I will need to figure out the transportation. If I have to rent a car, I guess I will have no choice.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    It would be a little tough in the Utah area with your scenario. You could fly into Salt Lake City, and there are many beautiful backpacking/camping areas all within 45-60 minutes drive. Kind of tough with Uber, and there won't be any bus/taxi service to those areas. You would probably end up with a rental car.

In Southern Utah, you could fly into St. George, UT, with relatively easy access to several National Park areas. Permits are (mostly?) required in the National Parks though, and again, you would probably end up with a rental car.

If you can work out the transportation details, you will be well rewarded with some spectacular scenery and memorable hikes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast