Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Building a lightweight setup. But there's so much to choose from...

So I'm a total noob. I bought an ENO sub 7 from REI because I got a deal. In trying to learn about building my setup, I've watched some of the recommended videos on this forum. What I've learned so far is that there are so. many. options. My gear focus is to go as light as possible ( I know, it costs $), but I don't really know what all is out there.

I'm looking for a:

Suspension system
    Tree straps
    Bug net
    Tarp system (preferably usable with trekking poles)

I'd appreciate any direction I can get from any knowledgeable hanger here!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would recommend getting a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen. It's $20 for a print copy on Amazon and less for digital formats. Loads of info to get started with. From there shop the cottage vendors, we make a lot of options that will suit you for lightweight gear better than the mass-made Chinese gear.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Thanks! Any cottage vendors I should start looking at?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm right about 2 lbs all in for the hammock, tarp, stakes, and suspension. That's achievable multiple ways but over-all a very light weight set up for hanging.

Here's my current list of everything and approximate weight. I could cut a little weight on the stakes, but I like the MSR needles as a good compromise of strong and decent hold.

Dutchware Gear 1/2 Wit hammock - 13.8 oz
    10' Dynema Fiber Palace (Hammock Gear) 9 oz
    2 x 12' kevlar tree huggers (Dutchware gear) 3 oz
    8 MSR needle stakes 3 oz
    2 Dutchware Gear titanium toggles .5 oz
    10' of reflective shockcord .5 oz
    20' of Zing it line .5 oz
    tent back and tarp bag - 1 oz

Light weight and strong = expensive so if you really want to get your gear weight down it costs some $. Honestly, I would recommend just getting some basic gear and go hiking for a while. Carrying a couple of extra lbs on a weekend outing isn't that big of a deal.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    The challenge with giving you advice is each of us are very different when it comes to comfort in a hammock. Different materials will feel better to me but may feel bad to you. Do you need a 10 or 11 foot hammock? I am only 5'2" but really, really like a 12 footer that was made for me while my brother who is over 6' likes my 10' Dutchware better. So as you can see, it is very much a personal thing. Now add in that each one of us might prefer a different cottage vendor than the next guy and as you have already discovered the possibilities are endless.

My suggestions are as follow:

Go to the home page of this forum and click on the link to Shugs video's. It is in the right hand frame about 3/4 of the way down.

Google The Ultimate Hang and check out Derek. His book is about 20.00 and is a really good read. He does great diagrams that for me makes everything much clearer.

Find a hang that is going on near you. You are in WI so check out the midwest sub section. You will find any that will be going on close to you. Go and talk to people. Mostly they will let you check out their gear so you can make a wise decision before you spend more $.

Good luck and finding what works for you is half the fun.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Quote Originally Posted by dangernoodle View Post
    Since he's too modest to toot his own horn, even though the question was asked in response to his post, I'll point to Arrowhead Equipment. Link is above. And +1 on the suggested Ultimate Hang book. It's worth every penny.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'm looking for a:

Suspension system
    Tree straps
    Bug net
    Tarp system (preferably usable with trekking poles)

I'd appreciate any direction I can get from any knowledgeable hanger here!
    If you want the lightest possible set-up that works for YOU, then IMHO you should do a metric cr@pload of research here and elsewhere and then make everything yourself.

For suspension, I'd recommend you DIY yourself a tree hugger/utility constrictor rope (UCR) combo that uses minimal/hardware. Check out Dutch's Spider Web 2.0 straps at Dutchware Gear. I made a pair of these using Spider Webs and Amsteel that reaches over 30 feet and weighs only 90 grams.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...traps-huggers/
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1871923

If you're HARDCORE about weight (and I am not), the lightest bug protection is just a head net; however, if that's too hardcore, consider a zipperless half bug net either added on or integrated into your hammock.

If you're looking for THE lightest tarp set-up, it's going to be a Dyneema (AKA Cuben Fiber) parallelogram asym tarp; in addition to carrying the least amount of tarp material necessary to get sufficient coverage, you only have to carry around half as many stakes and guy lines as a hex tarp, plus your packed volume is so small you may also be able to use a smaller, lighter backpack. These DCF asym tarps are rare to find commercially (I only know of two vendors), and I have yet to find one that was correctly sized and ideally shaped for a proper 11-foot hammock, although I think the Hammock Gear model is very close and it might be adequate for your ENO if it's shorter than that is considered standard here. Again, this is where a DIY solution is probably best. It will be expensive even though you will be making it yourself, the geometry will be tricky, the build will be involved for such a simple tarp shape, and it will take practice to pitch correctly for foul weather, but if you navigate those obstacles you ought to have a three-season hammock tarp that weighs less than a value menu hamburger patty.

All of that said, HYOH, so just my $0.02. Best of luck...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-06-2018 at 00:09.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Umm.....maybe check out the guy that responded first??

As I posted on your intro thread, come on out to SprinterGiving if you're in the area. You'll get plenty of help and ideas while being able to see things in person. Might even be able to pick up some gear there...

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Suspension system .... any whoppie sling option will be ok. kevlar and newer stuff is lghter but not much more so.

Bug net .... get a bottom entry net, all netting weighs the same, zippers add weight

Tarp system (preferably usable with trekking poles)....CUBEN, Memebrane silpoly in order of weight and price. With an eno, an aysym minimal hammock is fine, a hex more robust. All tarps are compatible with trekking poles. You need to decide your weather needs.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    With all respect, most cottage hammocks and suspension systems are going to be within 8-12 oz difference between them from what I’ve seen. Getting a good night’s sleep is more important than saving 400 grams.

Your weight savings is going to come from your tarp and quilts, and for the most part they are universal to any gathered end hammock you choose. So when it comes to your hammock and suspension, try and make it to a hang or find others in your area to try out other hammocks to find a style that works for you.

All of the advice given by previous posters is great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast