Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Don't get discouraged! Hanging is rocket science, and while there's a majority of great advice out there, some guys take it way too far and make it way too complicated. Don't let all the gear obsessives bring you down - hammock camping is just about getting out there! Remember your main driver - to get out in nature. All the rest is minor.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out!

Sorry, I should have clarified that I am an intermediate backpacker with some experience. I will definitely check out those books. Thanks!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'm thinking about the ENO Sub 7 because that's an awesome deal at REI. I like to DIY so I'm thinking about making one myself which I should be able to do for less than half and save 1.5 oz to boot. That being said, I might just pick up one anyway because it's quick and easy and what's one more hammock in the collection.

I mostly am an ultralight hiker but I also have some comfort items that cost me a lot of weight. I've been dialing in my system for a while now and really didn't know what I wanted when I started.

You can either do the a) buy once, cry once and just drop a bunch of money or you can b) pick up something reasonable, try it out and see if it's good enough or do you want to spend some more money to save weight.

Also consider that you may want to have multiple versions of everything depending on the situation. I have packs from an 85L to a 24L. I have tarps from tiny to huge. The same goes for every part of my cook system, sleep system, and water system. And I'm constantly switching between them depending on the conditions. For example, they are predicting rain this weekend. If it looks like simple showers I'll bring my small lightweight tarp. If it looks like a real storm, I'll bring my huge full coverage tarp. I had already switched from my zero degree quilt to my 30 degree and I'll probably switch to my 50 because it hit 90 today.

My concern with the Sub 7 is that it's short as hammocks go. Not that you may not fine that OK, but 10-11' hammocks generally give you a flatter lay and are more comfortable for a nights rest (although I've since switched to bridges). I'm looking for the Sub 7 to bring as a day hammock when I'm out hiking and want to take a half hour nap. I already know that it won't give me what I want for overnight but that's not why I'm thinking of getting it.

All I'm saying is that the guiding principle of Hike Your Own Hike is to just enjoy hiking with whatever you have and figure out what works for you. There's a lot of knowledge here and really helpful people so have fun researching. If you enjoy DIY that's a whole different rabbit hole you can find yourself in ;-)

Thanks. I ended up returning the Sub 7 due to size. I'm 6 2 and 230lbs and going to do more research.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dangernoodle View Post
    Thanks. I ended up returning the Sub 7 due to size. I'm 6 2 and 230lbs and going to do more research.
    You should look into the chameleon, I'm 6ft and 212lbs. I have the chameleon in wide and it still a good balance between weight but superior in comfort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyRosa View Post
    You should look into the chameleon, I'm 6ft and 212lbs. I have the chameleon in wide and it still a good balance between weight but superior in comfort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Chameleon is a great do-it-all setup with the option for bug net, winter cover, and easily convertible for left or right lay, with weight still under 20oz including light suspension setup such as CL/strap w/Becket (or, my choice, Ti toggles), using 15' Myerstech (88g) or Venom straps (66g)... Kevlar would be similar.

Hammock comfort trumps weight, even in a UL context, and it's easy (if not always cheap!) to cut weight elsewhere and keep total pack weight gloriously light.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A great quote!
    Some folks associate UL with elitist snobbery, but I have a 'take it or leave it' attitude about it; if folks want to carry 45 lbs of stuff it's no concern of mine.
    I can relate. I get hacked on about the cost or that I paid blah, blah to save a few ounces to which I'll reply, " I do not care how heavy your pack is. Carry as much or as little as you like." But to the original question. Minimal tree huggers for the average tree size I'll find on a trip. Dynaglide whoopies. A Dutch Half wit gets me as light as possible for hammock and suspension. An Asym tarp.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123