Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    For suspension get dutches beetle buckle and dyneema straps.

Gotta be the most versatile lightweight system.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangernoodle View Post
    So I'm a total noob. I bought an ENO sub 7 from REI because I got a deal. In trying to learn about building my setup, I've watched some of the recommended videos on this forum. What I've learned so far is that there are so. many. options. My gear focus is to go as light as possible ( I know, it costs $), but I don't really know what all is out there.

I'm looking for a:

Suspension system
    Tree straps
    Bug net
    Tarp system (preferably usable with trekking poles)

I'd appreciate any direction I can get from any knowledgeable hanger here!
    When you say "total noob" is this just regards to hammocking or to backpacking in general? When you say "as light as possible" does this mean you want to build an entire backpacking kit that literally fits the definition of "ultralight," which is <10 lbs base weight (which is actual carried pack weight minus consumables... food, water, fuel)?

If you literally want to go hammocking with a for-real, all-out ultralight (UL) kit, I would echo the advice to get "Ultimate Hang 2" and would also add a couple of other books to help you get started with UL backpacking, which are Don Ladigin's Lighten Up! and Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpackin' Tips.

As has also been suggested, attending a group hang would be enormously helpful. I did not do that when starting out, but I have backpacked with friends who are hangers and was able to glean a lot of information from them. One of those friends lent me 3 hammocks in his off season (he doesn't backpack in winter) along with some underquilts and tarp, so I was able to do some 'test-driving' with some quick, local overnight backpacking trips to get at least an inkling of what it was all about.

Most of all, have a lot of fun with this!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks for the gear list and advice!

Images
    Your best weight savings are gonna be in this order;
    Backpack
    Quilts
    Tarp
    Clothing
    Cook system

The hammock and suspension will only get you marginal gains (err... losses).

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Dude you just hit the nerdiest part of my camping brain... I completely geek out over this question and have done way too much research. I'm gonna assume that money isn't a restraining factor based on what you said, and just advise on what's real good and light.

Tarps: Cuben fiber cannot be beat for weight in tarps. SimplyLightDesigns has minimal asym designs around 4oz; HammockGear has great larger tarps (hex, or fully enclosed). One downside to cuben: it packs larger than other materials. Cheaper options: UGQ's SilPoly membrane tarps (seems kinda fragile, but lifetime warranty), Thunderfly (good mix of weight/coverage), or anything custom from Simply Light Designs.

Hammocks: Eno Sub 7 and Hummingbird Hammocks and Sea 2 Summit make the lightest hammocks (4-7oz) but they're all short and small. I don't like that. I want an 11' hammock. If you're under 170lb consider the lightweight materials like Hexon 1.0. It's about 7.5oz for a single layer 11' hammock. Pretty good. Dutchware and Simply Light Designs are good places to get those; I'm sure many others too.

Bugnet: "Fronkey" style separate bugnet is just under 6oz. If you always need the net and want to save a little weight, you can buy a Dutchware Half-Wit hammock, or a Half-Zipped or Flippin The Bird, which are hammocks which come with different styles of lightweight netting. That being said, a Chameleon in 1.0 with a zippered bugnet is about 16oz, so we're not talking about a huge difference between that and the lighter options.

Suspension: If you really wanna go light, Myerstech (hit them up on facebook to buy.... seriously, I know) has dyneema straps. Get a pair of 12' straps, use a becket hitch or marlinspike hitch and you've got yourself a 2.5oz suspension. Dutchware's Spider stuff is pretty light too, and Ripstop By The Roll just released a lightweight strap as well. The really light stuff typically doesn't work well with hardware, but that just adds weight anyway.

Underquilt: I go full length but if you're cool with a 3/4 underquilt it'll obviously save weight. Enlightened Equipment is the lightest but their baffle design has mixed feedback (some people say it has cold spots). For 50 deg weather, the Loco Libre Operator series is REALLY light. And though I have a hard time believing it, Molly Mac synthetic underquilts quote 12-16oz for a full length "rated to freezing" UQ that packs below 2L size. That sounds like the holy grail. I just ordered one but I still have a hard time believing the claims. I'm planning on using it as a 40deg quilt.

Topquilt: Enlightened Equipment is the lightest. Katabatic Gear is the gold standard but even more spendy. UGQ Bandit quilts look pretty darn light for the temp ratings too!

Thanks. The photos were helpful.

I can't make SprinterGiving but I'll be at BaconFest in May (and keeping an eye out for any scheduled hangs in between)

Good to know. Are you ultralight?

Appreciate the post. Thanks for nerding out.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangernoodle View Post
    Good to know. Are you ultralight?
    Assuming this was in response to my post, yes, I am an advocate of the UL persuasion.

Some folks associate UL with elitist snobbery, but I have a 'take it or leave it' attitude about it; if folks want to carry 45 lbs of stuff it's no concern of mine.

My only beef is with those uninformed (or worse, partially informed) who insist that UL is dangerous and/or uncomfortable due to inadequate clothing/shelter/sleep gear. For UL done right, this is simply not true.

You can click the link in my sig to the geargrams list that is usually up to date with my current/seasonal list. I am going to update in the next few days because I have a trip coming up in PA and the weather will be a bit warmer, and I have a new tarp and a new quilt that are getting their maiden voyages.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 04-07-2018 at 11:46.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast