How can I tell the temp rating on my used AHE Jarbidge River UQ?

I bought a Jarbidge River UQ on this site, and was told it was the 3 season, rated to 25 degrees. I took it out and used it where it got to about 30 degrees at night, and my backside was COLD! Now, obviously it's possible I set it up wrong, but is there a way I can figure out which version it is without trial and error, hoping to set it up right? I'm going on a longer trip soon and need to know if I have to buy a warmer UQ.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

How can I tell the temp rating on my used AHE Jarbidge River UQ?

Probably just by weight... the website is short on details and states that the 3-season comes in at under 20 ozs with 6 oz CS. It goes on to say the 1-season has 3.6 oz CS, and provides no information about the 4-season at all except for temp rating.

So, does it weigh less than 20 oz, or less than 20 oz minus 2.4 oz? This is like a middle school math problem where you have to evaluate whether you have enough information to figure out the answer...

Most likely, the UQ needs some adjustment, or you just sleep cold. Some people are very comfortable at 15 degrees with a 20-degree UQ, and others are chilly at 30 with the same UQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    I would think the easiest way to tell would be to weigh it.

1s ~16oz
    3s ~20oz
    4s ~28oz

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The seller from whom you bought it said that the suspension was lengthened for a 12 ft. hammock. Unless you have a 12 ft. hammock, the suspension is probably too long and needs to be tightened up.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nd-winter-tarp
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've got the 3 season and it weighs right at 20 ounces. I've used it down into the mid 20s, but you've got to get those ends sealed off well so there's no cold air getting between the quilt and the hammock.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    Yep, my 3 season is right at 20 oz. Also, mine measures between 1.75 and 2" thick when laid flat on a hard surface. That is inner shell, outer shell and 1 single layer of insulation. The approximate loft for 6 oz. per sq. yard of CS should be about 1.44", plus the shell thickness, plus any trapped air that might be between shell and insulation, grand total should be a bit over 1.5". If less than 1.4, maybe question it. Or much less than 20 oz. Set up video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=MFzMVW-8TOc

Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-06-2018 at 13:51.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I've got the 3 season and it weighs right at 20 ounces. I've used it down into the mid 20s, but you've got to get those ends sealed off well so there's no cold air getting between the quilt and the hammock.
    JRB Greylock 3+1 (19 oz) - 3 Season Partial UQ

• 11°-13°
    • Elevation: 873 ft.
    • Humidity: 65%-80%
    • Warbonnet XLC SL
    • JRB High Sierra Sniveller
    • JRB Fleece Quilt Liner
    • TQZQ UQP (Argon)
    • SLD Winter Tarp
    • Triangle Thingies

It's the only UQ I own.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 04-06-2018 at 13:46.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Weight is the most definitive way of telling if you don't know. But of course, you can always contact us. We keep all records of every order, ever. Every email with customers is on file since day one. With a little info I can tell when it was ordered, shipped, and any other details about the quilt we may have like customizations we did.

A lot of factors will play into how warm you should be. How the quilt was stored is one that no one can guess at on a used quilt. But we have had a few folks take the Jarbidge into the single digits. Getting it adjusted and fitting you takes a little learning curve. Keep at it and holler if I can help with any questions at all.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've had similar issues with a HammockGear zero Incubator (not anymore), so really, its a matter of knowing what you're doing. The bungies need to be lifting the hammock up when you're not in it to ensure there is no space in between when you are in it. From there, can get cold at 50 if there's any breeze getting in. And if you don't warm it up, it will make your backside cold until enough of your heat transfers through it. If you're wearing a bunch of clothes, it might never get enough of that to fully raise the temps within the apex to better insulate you and feel cold all night. All this is true with any UQ. Sounds like it means UQs are complicated, but if you just manage a few things, everything works the ways its supposed to. When I first started, I expected to just setup the quilt and be firebranded. Doesn't happen that way.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Weight is the most definitive way of telling if you don't know. But of course, you can always contact us. We keep all records of every order, ever. Every email with customers is on file since day one. With a little info I can tell when it was ordered, shipped, and any other details about the quilt we may have like customizations we did.

A lot of factors will play into how warm you should be. How the quilt was stored is one that no one can guess at on a used quilt. But we have had a few folks take the Jarbidge into the single digits. Getting it adjusted and fitting you takes a little learning curve. Keep at it and holler if I can help with any questions at all.
    Hey paul, would you ever consider writing or sewing the temp rating on your quilts?
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

• + New Posts