Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    The Cave Creek pet palace looks interesting, but the netting looks somewhat claustrophobic. I think i like the NUBE Stratos shelter system for the pooch, and for a netless hammock. It is some $$$ though and much heavier than just putting the dog in my hammock with me like Silvrsurfer does. I could simply unzip my netting on my sparrow for topless/netless use with the NUBE Stratos system.
    I think the pet palace has options for tie outs to create more space, but I’ve never seen one in person

I just got the cave creek, but I've played around with a few options before.
    The first is obviously, tying the dog up to a line under the hammock. Worked ok, she always found a way to get tangled in tarp lines though.
    I have also had success with a fronkey bug net, and just hanging low so she is enclosed in that as well (I put a cheap foam pad in the bottom to cover the opening of the net and for her to sleep on. Worked very well and at little extra weight. Potential downfalls here are wet ground and the netting being pressed against the ground, but the noseeum is tough.
    Another option is the dutchware birds nest bugnet (https://dutchwaregear.com/product/birds-nest-bugnet/). Nice and big, plus a solid bottom for a little extra wetness protection and at least in my mind, durability. I have this, but I haven't used it a ton. Having it designed for two hammocks makes it a little weird for that use, but it's certainly doable.
    My most recent experiment is the cave creek, thinking that this would be handy if I went somewhere where I wanted to go to ground (inspired by a recent trip where that was a real concern!). Definitely more durable, versatile, and efficient than the bird's nest, also much heavier.
    Hope that helps!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a 45lb Samoyed and there's no way she would sleep in a hammock with me. I just stake her under the tarp on a short leash. As long as she's close to me she's fine. Not much different from being at the foot of the bed at home. She's just so excited at being outside that it can be a bit of a PITA at times though - she wants to go play with every critter she can see or smell.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    All great ideas.. Thanks fellow members. I like the idea of putting down an evazote CCF pad under the hammock and tying my dog's leash to the hammock suspension. This ought to be a lightweight solution, but may not work against the mosquitoes, though. My dog's double coat should protect him from that, as well as some frontline plus (permethrin). I tried putting my dog in the hammock with me and he is not a fan anyways of hanging, and I am no fan of his paws muddying up the inside of the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My 40 lb. beagle Joey sleeps in the hammock with me.
    And what happens when he's wet and/or muddy?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HGEcon 20 UQ/DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    My Aussie is 40 lbs. She sleeps in the Alcot Pup Tent. If it’s below 40 she will sleep in my hammock but she gets too hot in warmer temps. The pup tent was only $40 on Amazon when we bought a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Since this is an open ended question - I'll add the Clark Vertex as an option. The new version is a side-by-side configuration. If I remember, the older version required three contact points for the suspension (trees) and the sleeping areas were more angled. Anyways, too expensive and heavy for me - but an option. I like the idea of the 'pup' tent near the hammock. My basset puppy is now pushing 40lbs at 7 months. And, I think we are outgrowing the WB Traveler. He does love the hammock, though.

If you're leaving the dog outside a bug net, consider a permethrin bandana or something similar. I had a bug repellent "bracelet" that I attached to the collar and it created a noticeable zone maybe a foot wide that the mosquitos tended to avoid, so I thought that worked well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I almost kept the earlier and much cheaper REI air tent hammock for my dogs, but the body fabric doesn’t breath, making it unfit for man or beast during lots of months in these parts.

https://www.rei.com/product/128163/r...me-air-hammock

I love Mfox31’s pup tent!

ETA: the price of the Alcot pup tent has dropped to $34.11 and there are 6 left
    Last edited by Slack Packhiker; 04-07-2018 at 19:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12