DIY gathered-end 11'
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Goose down
    Suspension
    dutch buckles

Question Gathered end hammock question

I'm about to make my 3rd DIY gathered-end hammock, and I've come up with an idea I want to run by you guys.

Problem: The long side edges tend to flop around, effectively reducing the actual width. For example, on the best diagonal lay, there is about 4" of fabric flopping down which could, if pulled up, provide a bit more cradle for my head and neck.

Solution(?): Put shallow "reverse" catenary cuts on the short ends, effectively making the centerline longer than the side edges. I believe this would contribute a lot to a cradle or cocoon shape once the ends are gathered in to the same point by giving the middle more natural sag than the edges. It might even help reduce ridges.

Has anybody done this? Did I stumble onto an existing technique I just didn't know about, or am I about to do something that would create an uncomfortable lay? I will start with a very shallow reverse cat cut (maybe 2" deep over 68" of width) and see what that does as compared to my 2nd gen hammock.

ANY ideas, thoughts, warnings, or general joking around is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cscornette; 04-03-2018 at 19:54.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cscornette View Post
    I'm about to make my 3rd DIY gathered-end hammock, and I've come up with an idea I want to run by you guys.

Problem: The long side edges tend to flop around, effectively reducing the actual width. For example, on the best diagonal lay, there is about 4" of fabric flopping down which could, if pulled up, provide a bit more cradle for my head and neck.

Solution(?): Put shallow "reverse" catenary cuts on the short ends, effectively making the centerline longer than the side edges. I believe this would contribute a lot to a cradle or cocoon shape once the ends are gathered in to the same point by giving the middle more natural sag than the edges. It might even help reduce ridges.

Has anybody done this? Did I stumble onto an existing technique I just didn't know about, or am I about to do something that would create an uncomfortable lay? I will start with a very shallow reverse cat cut (maybe 2" deep over 68" of width) and see what that does as compared to my 2nd gen hammock.

ANY ideas, thoughts, warnings, or general joking around is greatly appreciated.
    Sorry I can't remember specifics, but I know this has been played around with here on the forum not too many years ago. It might take some creative search terms to find it.

I think they may have been actually doing the opposite of what you are proposing - doing cat cuts in an effort to create a flatter lay (effectively pulling the middle tighter). I can't remember exactly, but this idea hasn't taken off, so I doubt the results were spectacular.

You can experiment with this idea by whipping the ends after you gather them in the way you want (either pulling the center tighter or letting it sag more). Doing it this way won't require you to cut your fabric in any kind of curve...so you can always go back to the conventional way after your curiosity is satisfied .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Banjoman; 04-03-2018 at 21:23.

Hammock
    DIY gathered-end 11'
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Goose down
    Suspension
    dutch buckles
    Nice idea. Thanks. I'll try that. Not sure why anybody would do the opposite. Sounds horrible. To each his own, though. If I have time, I'll give it a go this weekend.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I did something like this a few years ago. It worked out fine but (at least my method) was more labor intensive than I would like to do on a consistent bases.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Mod-prototype
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Knotty mod solves floppy sides without having to do much engineering.

That said there is nothing wrong with trying things out. If you have a minute look for a user Snowball's posts. A few years back he made multiple hammocks using different shapes for foot and head ends, and documented his results.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    The Simply Light Designs Streamliner hammock uses the technique you suggest, adding convex catenary curves of fabric on the ends (in conjunction with shallow car-cuts on the long edges) to reduce flop.

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/133

If youv'e been using wide hammock body fabric and getting a lot of unwanted flop, I might suggest you reduce your hammock body width by 4" to 8"; however, if you're using standard-width fabric (60" or less), you might try either or both off the Streamliner tactics.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have experimented a lot with shaped ends and I can definitely recommend doing it, because you gain a much better understanding of how hammocks work. However, after my 23rd hammock, I decided that shaped ends have much less influence on my comfort than specific fabrics. And you get more out of shaped ends if the hammock is at least 63" wide.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have experimented a lot with shaped ends and I can definitely recommend doing it, because you gain a much better understanding of how hammocks work. However, after my 23rd hammock, I decided that shaped ends have much less influence on my comfort than specific fabrics. And you get more out of shaped ends if the hammock is at least 63" wide.
    Generally agree unless you go to the extremes...
    Get the basics right first (fabric, length, width). That gets you 95% of the way there, shaping the gathered end might fine tune that last bit if you need it.
    The opposite isn't really true though in my opinion... shaping won't fix a the wrong fabric, length or width.

Also agree that this is mainly hammock nerd territory and educational tinkering not worth most folks time.

The exception to the rule is going to an extreme.
    TZBrown's parallelogram for example, but at that point you aren't even dealing with a hammock so much as a totally new design.
    Guess you could say the same for a bridge, 90*, spreader bar or other designs that don't follow the traditional gathered end.
    Technically all hammocks, but also totally different models based upon shaping taken to the point you create something new.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Generally agree unless you go to the extremes...
    Get the basics right first (fabric, length, width). That gets you 95% of the way there, shaping the gathered end might fine tune that last bit if you need it.
    That's the thing, though: if the fabric is perfect (for me), shaping the ends doesn't really improve the lay. It just changes it. It might be as good - but different, not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The exception to the rule is going to an extreme.
    TZBrown's parallelogram for example, but at that point you aren't even dealing with a hammock so much as a totally new design.
    Guess you could say the same for a bridge, 90*, spreader bar or other designs that don't follow the traditional gathered end.
    Technically all hammocks, but also totally different models based upon shaping taken to the point you create something new.
    Hm, I need to go back to that one, and do more experimenting. I didn't notice any improvement, but the longest piece of fabric I tried the parallelogram with was 5m / 16.4'. That's probably too short, especially if you want to have the hammock have a decent length. From the experience with my only prototype, I could never justify butchering a piece of fabric that would yield 2 hammocks. But I think I have an uncut piece of fabric that I could whip into a parallelogram hammock and give it another try.
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 04-04-2018 at 11:44.

Hammock
    DIY gathered-end 11'
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Goose down
    Suspension
    dutch buckles
    This is all awesome advice, guys. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast