Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new hammock soon to be ordered...advice on width

I am new to this forum and have been using an ENO doublenest and really love hammock sleeping. That being said, I now am super excited to be getting ready an order from Dutch. He has been very helpful in answering my questions. I will be ordering the Chameleon. I had a question about the standard width or the wide version. My ENO is 6' 2" wide according to the company. It gives me very good sleep. The Chameleon is narrower at 4.83'. That is a considerable difference but the Chameleon is longer by over a foot and a half.

I had asked Dutch his opinion and he advised that the concern might be finding an under quilt that would give me good coverage, as well as added weight and bulk. I want an under quilt that is full length. Perhaps some of you with a wide/standard width have experience with the under quilt. The weight difference really isn't a big issue with me though lighter would always be somewhat better I suppose.

What are your thought? Thanks for your advice!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The Chameleon standard width is plenty wide and doesn't have all that extra material to get in the way. You'll love the Chameleon and if you do not they aren't too hard to unload at a slight loss.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    If you've slept well in an ENO I can't imagine you'd have trouble in a standard chameleon. For myself, I'm 6'4" and the standard 58" wide hammock is just a *tad* too narrow for me, so I've always gone a number of inches wider. But you'll also find tall people who have no trouble with standard width on a 11' hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wide hammocks are for wide people. If you fit that description, then wide hammocks are for you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    If you've slept well in an ENO I can't imagine you'd have trouble in a standard chameleon. For myself, I'm 6'4" and the standard 58" wide hammock is just a *tad* too narrow for me, so I've always gone a number of inches wider. But you'll also find tall people who have no trouble with standard width on a 11' hammock.
    Thanks for the answers! A standard it is.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I'm 6'2" 220lbs and a standard width works well. Anything shorter than 10.5 ft I have issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    My first hammock was a Dutchware 11' Netless, standard width. I sold it and bought the wide Chameleon, which arrived yesterday. I haven't had the chance to overnight in it yet, but from what I've noticed just from my 3 hour nap, it is SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable. I'm 6'1" 160lbs, but I also have a large-angled lay. I personally recommend the wide, the extra fabric doesn't really get in the way if you use the tie-outs.
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Most people seem happy with a finished width of 58". Too wide means your view may be somewhat obscured hanging asymmetrically on one side. Others swear that they are more comfortable in wider hammock. Most important in my experience is having the hammock be at least 11 ft long for a flatter asym lay. I concur with the previous poster that the tie outs are needed to keep the extra fabric from flapping in your face on the wider hammocks.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I'm 5'10" 170 lbs and have both a standard and wide. I prefer the standard because it just fits my underquilts better that way that I lay in it, it is lighter for backpacking (slightly), and the 1.0 material is a lot softer than my wide 1.6 (I wanted the wide to be able to handle somebody bigger if I have somebody else that needs to use it). There are so many choices when ordering. I don't think that I would change anything if I had to do it over again, though. My standard is a double layer and I'm not sure that I will ever put a pad in between, but the option is there and it firms up the 1.0 a little bit having 2 layers. Either way, you'll love it.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    I bought a wide version after 9 months with the standard width. I find the wide to be WAY more comfortable for me and my UQ fits just fine. I’m about 6’3” / 200lbs if that makes a difference to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast