Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hammocking with small children?

We spend a lot of time in the outdoors with our two small children aged 3 and 5. There are a lot of places nearby that would be perfect for an overnighter, if there only was a space to pitch our pyramid tent. Unfortunately the most scenic spots are rocky, slopey, bushy and all that. So we have started to look to the trees as an alternative dwelling.

What are your experiences of hammocking with adventurers as young as ours? Will the kids still be in the hammock in the morning or will they have wiggled out during the night?

Our kids usually end up in our bed during the night so my main consideration is sleeping in separate "bunks". For this crazy idea to work it would require having a parent nearby to reach over and offer some comfort during the night. I am not to keen on sacrificing my arm to the mosquitoes so that would also mean each parent-child would need to share a bug net. Any suggestions on the best way to keep the little ones close, and bugs at bay? I am not to concerned about the kids shaking the cot, a good nights sleep is but a distant memory anyway these days.

My guess is that our children would be less concerned with "what might be out there in the darkness" if we throw a winter tarp over the whole thing. I suppose we wont know till we try but it would be interesting hearing other peoples experiences.

What's the best way to keep little ones warm in a three season setting? Same as for adults, or are there some clever hacks that could save some money? Looking at this project and what we already have in our gear locker would put under quilts x4 as the largest expense, me thinks.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I think everyone's kids are different. My kids love their hammocks while my buddies won't go near them after dark.best of luck.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Hopefully getting them started this young will instill a love in their hearts. I would suggest looking for a stand of trees that have a tight triangle of 3 trees so you can hang 2 hammocks side by sidehopefully with them close enough at the right angle you could hang close to your child so that they are in arms reach and if you diy a large bug net maybe you could fit 2 in one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I have every intention of getting my kid to camp in a hammock as soon as possible. My plan is to put him in his own hammock and to hang alongside him with a spreader bar. I figured I'd tie our zippers together so either of us can open/close each other's bugnet at any time. Hanging under a single tarp was something I was thinking I'd try, too.

Like a lot of other things, this all sounds perfect in my head, but in reality has a good chance of not panning out. We'll see how it goes. Please post your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    The folks at Sierra Madre invented their gear because they had babies to take along. They bunked their twins above the parents, in one bug net and under one tarp. I know another guy who also bunks under his little ones (one at a time) and it works well for them. I’ve seen him camp with both his son and his daughter.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get you a couple of Chameleons and hang them double dutch style.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ook-Suspension

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I picked up a chameleon with the double net to take my 5 year old daughter camping with me this summer.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I made an insulated hammock for my 5 month old little friend. I put a bug net on so that if he does wiggle the bug net will hold him in, as well as any pillows or blankets. I hung the hammock over mine close enough that I could pat him if he stirred. I sewed the under insulation directly on to the hammock so there is no fiddle factor. We hung inside so no topquilt was needed.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Get you a couple of Chameleons and hang them double dutch style.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ook-Suspension
    This is what I have in mind. Since I have Beetle Buckles on my suspension, and daisy chain straps on the other one, all I need is to get a spreader bar from Dutch. The straps with Beetles both go at the head end, spread by the bar, and the daisy chain straps go at the foot end.

It's a nice bonus, because I had no idea that the Beetles we set up for that when I first got them.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    I picked up a chameleon with the double net to take my 5 year old daughter camping with me this summer.
    Oh my... now I'm looking intently at the Double Dutch. That thing is awesome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast