Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15

REI Bridge Hammock + REI Under-quilt + Kammok Kuhli + Kammok Python 10

preface: total newb here. preparing for a 6 day motorcycle/camping trip in may through WV and PA.

i recently ordered the REI Quarter Dome Air - Bridge Hammock (old version) (new version) ($112 on sale), and the REI matching synthetic under-quilt ($100).
    I tried it out a few times for an hour or so in the park. I love the hammock, and the tarp is super easy to use which is great for me, but its much smaller than i feel comfortable with.
    I did a ton of research, i wanted something big enough, but that was just as easy as the REI tarp (i have zero experience with knots, i know i'll have to learn this, but for now i just dont have this skill set). I also wanted a tarp setup with doors, but im seeing that using doors with bridge hammocks is a little hard to pull off.

I ordered the Kammok Kuhli last night ($130 with 20% off).The kuhli has very similar features to the REI tarp, in that its got attached guy lines, with integrated storage when packing. The guy lines have line lock tensioners, and there are 8 of them, plus the 2 on the ridge line. beyond that, the ridge line that wraps around the tree has a little loop on the end just like the REI tarp (similar to dutch wear?) that lets it just loop around itself, and then get tightened with the line lock tensioners.

The outer corners of the tarp can be brought in as make shift doors in storm mode, and it also seems to do great with awning mode (of which i already have REI poles from my noahs tarp setup from my tent camping days). I watched a bunch of videos by kammok on it, but cant find any actual user reviews. Is it that new, or is it just not popular ?

The whoopie straps that come with the REI hammock are interesting, but i found negatives about them as did others. They can only support tree widths up to a certain range, and they dont do well between trees that are too close to each other either. I tried out my brothers eno atlas straps with the REI hammock and i much prefer those. I ordered the kammok version last night as well, the Python 10 ($30).

So far i'm in around $375. I already have a nice kelty down 20F sleeping bag, and a non insulated klymit static v pad that i'll be using with this setup as well.

I understand this might be considered a newb setup, which is fine with me, as im a newb.
    I'm looking for any feedback people might have on this setup, but im also going to be documenting my setup here, along with photos.
    I Should be able to post updates with photos this weekend, as the new gear should arrive thursday or friday.

a photo of a quick overnight camping trip i did in the spring in CT in my tent.
    IMG_1094.jpg

- motech
    www.city-gs.com
    Last edited by motech; 04-02-2018 at 12:05.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on getting off that hard ground and let us know if you have any specific questions. I would have directed you to a different setup but now that you have this practice the setup and enjoy.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Congrats on getting off that hard ground and let us know if you have any specific questions. I would have directed you to a different setup but now that you have this practice the setup and enjoy.
    thanks! im learning that hammock setups are as unique as finger prints. everyone has a different setup preference!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Cool. What's important to you? Being able to go to ground? Light weight? Compact packed size? Ease of use? Are you looking for suggestions on "upgrades"?

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Cool. What's important to you? Being able to go to ground? Light weight? Compact packed size? Ease of use? Are you looking for suggestions on "upgrades"?
    Ease of use, and pack size are important to me but neither are deal breakers. I'm packing on a motorcycle which has a lot more room than a backpack, but still, storage is at a premium.
    Looking for comments on my setup, but im also looking to share information on my setup for other future newbs that might be using or considering similar setups.
    also looking for anyone that specifically has experience with the kuhli.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by motech View Post
    Ease of use, and pack size are important to me but neither are deal breakers. I'm packing on a motorcycle which has a lot more room than a backpack, but still, storage is at a premium.
    Looking for comments on my setup, but im also looking to share information on my setup for other future newbs that might be using or considering similar setups.
    also looking for anyone that specifically has experience with the kuhli.
    I have a kuhli (prior generation-- doesn't have the knotless design that yours probably does, which I'd be curious to try out). It was the only tarp I used last year (haven't been out yet this year). I just use it like a standard rectangular tarp since my hammocks are 12' long, so I can't really be of much help in how to use it in other configurations, but it's been a good tarp! Curious to see what you can do with it with a bridge hammock like the one you've picked up.

(I did add a continuous ridgeline with some dutch gadgets and a snakeskin to make the tarp a bit quicker / easier to deploy. That's a fun rabbit hole for you to eventually explore... :P )

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    I have a kuhli (prior generation-- doesn't have the knotless design that yours probably does, which I'd be curious to try out). It was the only tarp I used last year (haven't been out yet this year). I just use it like a standard rectangular tarp since my hammocks are 12' long, so I can't really be of much help in how to use it in other configurations, but it's been a good tarp! Curious to see what you can do with it with a bridge hammock like the one you've picked up.

(I did add a continuous ridgeline with some dutch gadgets and a snakeskin to make the tarp a bit quicker / easier to deploy. That's a fun rabbit hole for you to eventually explore... :P )
    you got me nervous about wether i had ordered the old or new version of the kuhli! stupid that they didnt differentiate at all..
    REI's site specified that as of March 2018, they are selling the newer version so that means i should be getting the new one.

I'll report back this weekend with initial thoughts, and ill post even more when i get back from my trip in early may.
    - motech
    www.city-gs.com

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by motech View Post
    you got me nervous about wether i had ordered the old or new version of the kuhli! stupid that they didnt differentiate at all..
    REI's site specified that as of March 2018, they are selling the newer version so that means i should be getting the new one.

I'll report back this weekend with initial thoughts, and ill post even more when i get back from my trip in early may.
    Well the primary difference is that the old one you have to tie knots to attach it to your trees / anchor points. I'm not sure how the new one works but, the only way I think you'd have gotten previous gen from REI is if you'd bought it last year or bought one on clearance (price would be around $100-$110). It sounds like you bought the full price one and used a 20% coupon so I'm *pretty* confident you have the current version.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15

Tarp and straps came in today. Initial impressions are good. The one thing to mention is that the kuhli is thin. 15D. Same as the REI tarp (2017). I don’t think it will have any durability issues but i guess only time will tell. Size wise - it seems to be the size the REI SHOULD have shipped. Packs up easily.

The straps seem super durable.
    I’m going to set these up tomorrow and post more photos.

- motech
    www.city-gs.com

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15

what a weird day today with the new kammok tarp and straps.
    i had really high hopes for both. in some ways they delivered, in other ways they did not.

the short of it is, the shape and size of the tarp is a perfect for the REI hammock.
    the hardware on the tarp is terrible quality. i had several failures today which were shocking.
    luckily i had some quick permanent work arounds which i'll get in to.

the straps were actually perfect, im just wondering if i should go for the Python 15 instead of the Python 10.
    I guess thats a personal decision.

Tarp Pros:
    - Its exactly the size i want, it really covers the hammock perfectly.
    - Storm mode actually fits around this bridge hammock, almost entirely enclosing it off from any cross winds (see photos)
    - Porch mode works really well
    - Its very easy to work with, and light weight
    - Great tie out locations
    - Packs small and its light (20oz) - also easy to get back in to sack by just stuffing

Tarp Cons:
    - The plastic hook that goes around the tree for the knotless hookup, BROKE on both ends. First on one end, then later the other end. It was a very windy day, and the ridge line was super taught. Still, this should NEVER happen. I took the metal hooks from the REI tarp, put them on the Kuhli, and they work perfectly. Why in the world they would ship plastic ones is beyond me.
    - The line locks dont work well on the ridge line. They lost the lock several times. One time, i watched strong winds just loosen one side completely. If i line locked, and then double backed the cord around the metal hook, and then back around itself a few times, it seemed to stay in place fine. Maybe i just dont know hot to use ridge line line locks.
    - The cord that the tarp comes with are just too short. its shocking. You can NOT use them in porch mode at all. You need to extend them, otherwise they wont reach. Again, the work around was to just take the cords from the REI tarp and use them on the Kuhli. They are over twice as long.
    - The cord that the tarp comes with had loose white pieces of small string coming out on almost every one. some out of the box, and some after 20 minutes of using them. hard to explain but almost like a feather sticking out of a down jacket. Besides that, the reflective material quickly got chewed up and made the cord very very rough in the hands. All the other cord i used today didnt have any of that issue. Again, this was remedied by stealing hardware from the REI and putting it on the Kammok tarp.

Bottom line, if you are planning on getting the Kammok Kuhli, do it for the size and shape, but plan on changing out a bunch of parts. Might only add up to about $25 in parts, but know that you'll need to do that.

Here are some photos from the day:

porch mode was incredible. fully enclosed from the elements. i think its hard to find a tarp that will completely enclose a bridge hammock, this one pulls it off.

to put it in bridge mode, i disconnected the corners from their spikes, pulled them in, and attached them to the opposite sides cord, looped around itself. then i tightened the cord lock sideways tight.

porch mode, which would help in a few different scenarios. great option to have and works well. if you look close you can see i had to extend the kammok cords as they werent long enough.

you can see the REI under quilt in this photo

the broken hook from the knotless tree hook up by kammok

the REI hook i stole from the REI tarp and put on the kammok tarp. worked perfectly.

the damaged cord that came with the kammok tarp. notice the white fluff coming out of the cord.

the damaged reflective material that seemed to be fraying almost instantly after use, which became very rough in the hands. all other brands cord used today didnt have this issue. replaced with the REI cord as a permanent fix which is double the length anyway.

this is a mixed bag of emotions. i LOVE the shape and size. I just have to be OK with the fact that its not perfect out of the box. I had to use a few parts from the REI tarp to complete the kammok tarp. Im fine with that, as i never planned to use the REI tarp, and if even if i do want to use it, the parts can easily be swapped back and forth.

Im sure kammok would say that i got a bad unit, but even so, the hooks for the knotless tree hook up should NOT be plastic, and the cords on the sides of the tarp are too short.

I'm keeping it, and will report back after some more use.
    Let me know if you have any questions ..
    Last edited by motech; 04-05-2018 at 21:32.
    - motech
    www.city-gs.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast