Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi motech -- I'm brand new as well, I ordered the same REI hammock (should arrive today!). Your pictures are great. I'm subscribing to your thread since we are both new and both have the same hammock.

@motech -- What size brand are your poles? I like the looks of your "porch mode" setup. Thanks.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancermak View Post
    @motech -- What size brand are your poles? I like the looks of your "porch mode" setup. Thanks.
    Hey! The tarp poles are made REI. They are the only ones they carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - motech
    www.city-gs.com

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Hi motech, good write up. For a 'newb' setup, I think you did just fine. It looks like you are (primarily?) motorcycle camping, where weight isn't necessarily the main factor.

I won't go into detail about my first hammock setup, but I will tell you it was a disaster. I think you did very well getting things swapped out so it was usable. Kind of disappointing that you did have to swap line and hardware. Although it's not officially labeled as such (someone should should make a sign), you just found the rathole that is gear improvement. Find a quiet room away from you family, and check this out: DutchWare Gear Tarp Hardware

I'm sorry to say it, but that line you are using on your tarp would drive me bananas, for an aesthetic reason if nothing else. Personally, I like using Reflective Dutch Wire for my tarp tieouts.

Keep on truckin' good buddy, and enjoy being off the ground. Also, I love your GS.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Enlightened Eq
    Suspension
    Kammok Python 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Hi motech, good write up. For a 'newb' setup, I think you did just fine. It looks like you are (primarily?) motorcycle camping, where weight isn't necessarily the main factor.

I won't go into detail about my first hammock setup, but I will tell you it was a disaster. I think you did very well getting things swapped out so it was usable. Kind of disappointing that you did have to swap line and hardware. Although it's not officially labeled as such (someone should should make a sign), you just found the rathole that is gear improvement. Find a quiet room away from you family, and check this out: DutchWare Gear Tarp Hardware

I'm sorry to say it, but that line you are using on your tarp would drive me bananas, for an aesthetic reason if nothing else. Personally, I like using Reflective Dutch Wire for my tarp tieouts.

Keep on truckin' good buddy, and enjoy being off the ground. Also, I love your GS.
    Ha! Thanks.
    Yah been browsing Dutchware and will likely pick up some items. Especially since I’m considering returning the REI hammock and getting a gathered end hammock instead. I appreciate the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - motech
    www.city-gs.com

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    That's pretty disappointing. I have the Kammok Glider and it's my current go-to tarp when I'm worried about the weather. I like the design of the Kuhli because I want to be able to hunker down in storm mode which the Glider doesn't do (but the Glider is large enough that I get great coverage -- just not at the ends). The other advantage of the Glider is that it doesn't have a center seam -- no risk of leakage.

The Glider has really good guy lines so I'm guessing you got a bad batch or they've re-designed them. I had more problems with the guy lines and LineLoc on the REI bridge tarp -- they were really rough but at least not leaking stuff like you found.

I love the color and it looks like it would pair well with the REI and the coverage looks good. It's a shame the minor facets of the tarp weren't up to par. They claim a lifetime warranty so it might be worth contacting them to get replacement guy lines but I'm with you -- the REI clips are fantastic and I wouldn't trust the plastic for the ridgeline.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Indeed, thanks for the writeup-- sounds like the "knotless" upgrade isn't much of an upgrade, unfortunately. I'd definitely talk to Kammok about that. While I have used the guy lines on the tarp, I've always had a zing-it continuous ridge line with some Dutch hardware on it to hang my Kuhli with. (Also sounds like it's really too bad REI cut some corners with that tarp... they could have charged just a little more and addressed one of the biggest issues with that kit but just making that tarp a bit bigger!)

Welcome to the hammock gear rabbit hole

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12