Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Have you considered mailing what you want to yourself ahead of time?
    Yes. Have a resupply planned for MTR and now a small one at OV. Trying to manage with just the two rather than another at Reds.

I cannot imagine being at the mercy of what is there to buy when you get there.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    I cannot imagine being at the mercy of what is there to buy when you get there.
    Yeah, will likely go ahead and do the 3 resupplies I originally planned. Would still be helpful to know what is stocked to help make the call. I'm sure a lot has changed since '88 but who knows....

I had heard of this trail since I was a kid. I never thought that I would ever have the time to do it.
    I got a month off of work. Unheard of at that company at the time. A brief slow period in the Defense Contractor Industry. I had a week or two to prepare.
    I sat at the Lone Pine Ranger station for hours waiting for them to open to try for a permit. I was lucky. I started that day.
    I had one supply. My parents drive up and camped at a campground below Bishop Pass.
    I carried way too much weight. Blue Jeans for pants. But, I did not hike with a fast agenda. I hiked, then I camped where I felt like it. I do not recall any talk of 'UltraLight'.
    I was a day late to my resupply, according to my Dad. No big deal.
    And when I got to Reds Meadow my vacation time was coming to an end so I took a bus home.
    My girlfriend, at the time, was in the hospital. (I was out of touch since the meeting below Bishop Pass).

So, technically, I did not 'finish'. BUT ... I had nackpacked that area in the years before, as I grew up camping in the area, and backpacked there every vacation I got for a week or two for many years.

A fantastic trip. A lifetime of memories.
    Oh, I was solo.

Oh, let me add. I do hope that you have a wonderful trip.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    I had heard of this trail since I was a kid. I never thought that I would ever have the time to do it.
    I got a month off of work. Unheard of at that company at the time. A brief slow period in the Defense Contractor Industry. I had a week or two to prepare.
    I sat at the Lone Pine Ranger station for hours waiting for them to open to try for a permit. I was lucky. I started that day.
    I had one supply. My parents drive up and camped at a campground below Bishop Pass.
    I carried way too much weight. Blue Jeans for pants. But, I did not hike with a fast agenda. I hiked, then I camped where I felt like it. I do not recall any talk of 'UltraLight'.
    I was a day late to my resupply, according to my Dad. No big deal.
    And when I got to Reds Meadow my vacation time was coming to an end so I took a bus home.
    My girlfriend, at the time, was in the hospital. (I was out of touch since the meeting below Bishop Pass).

So, technically, I did not 'finish'. BUT ... I had nackpacked that area in the years before, as I grew up camping in the area, and backpacked there every vacation I got for a week or two for many years.

A fantastic trip. A lifetime of memories.
    Oh, I was solo.

Oh, let me add. I do hope that you have a wonderful trip.
    Thanks for the great story. The trip obviously made an impression on you. I'm looking forward to the experience and making similar memories!

External frame Jansport Cascade II pack.
    HUGE synthetic sleeping bag.
    Svea 123R with a Sigg Tourist kit.
    Cheap single wall pup tent.
    I do not recall the sleeping pad. I know it was before I knew about ThermaRest.
    I roast coffee at home.

The TM store has much more to offer than Reds. You could get what you needed from the TM store to make it to Reds easily, since it is only a couple day's hike away.
    The Reds store was hit or miss and rather than be at the mercy of what they had on hand, I sent myself a resupply. Their restaurant is worth the visit though and that will cover a very big meal from your resupply.
    From there, only a couple of days to MTR. It is a once in a life time trip and in my opinion, I would send as many resupplies as you can to make the trip more enjoyable.

In 2015, I did it with one resupply at MTR and in 2016, did it with a resupply at TM, Reds, and MTR. The difference between the two trips was night and day. I struggled the first time, due to carrying more weight for the food between Yosemite and MTR, versus only having to carry enough food to get from Yosemite to TM then Reds and MTR.

Quote Originally Posted by TNWoodsman View Post
    Question about using Tuolomne Meadows and Reds Meadow general stores for purchasing some resupply. Do these stores have dehydrated backpacker meals or just typical small grocery fare? Recently learned that OV/Independence (we are staying at Mt. Williamson Motel) doesn't have a store...killing my plan of buying the last few days of resupply there. What can I expect to have available at Tuolomne and Reds?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Thanks Nate. Great info. Appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    The TM store has much more to offer than Reds. You could get what you needed from the TM store to make it to Reds easily, since it is only a couple day's hike away.
    The Reds store was hit or miss and rather than be at the mercy of what they had on hand, I sent myself a resupply. Their restaurant is worth the visit though and that will cover a very big meal from your resupply.
    From there, only a couple of days to MTR. It is a once in a life time trip and in my opinion, I would send as many resupplies as you can to make the trip more enjoyable.

In 2015, I did it with one resupply at MTR and in 2016, did it with a resupply at TM, Reds, and MTR. The difference between the two trips was night and day. I struggled the first time, due to carrying more weight for the food between Yosemite and MTR, versus only having to carry enough food to get from Yosemite to TM then Reds and MTR.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I leave today!!! Well, Boys & Girls, my flight is this afternoon for the first leg of getting to Yosemite and cashing in my "golden ticket" to thru-hike the JMT, beginning Aug 28 at Happy Isles. Thank goodness the fire closures are done with for where I'm headed.

Will spend Wed & Thur with my wife in Las Vegas visiting grandbabies. It was 108 degrees there yesterday. Then she and I drive to Mammoth Lakes, CA for Fri & Sat to be tourists and for me to acclimate to elevation. Then on to Yosemite for Sun & Mon to be gawking tourists. She abandons me on Monday, I reckon with some crack like "Take a hike!" My two hike partners show up later in the day. On Tuesday we hit the trail (and do Half Dome if things go well).

Spending ZEROS at Reds Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, and Onion Valley if needed. Scheduled to finish and come out in Lone Pine on Sept 20th. From there we drive to San Diego to be tourists for the weekend before flying home.

One partner and I are hammocking.

Y'all be good while I'm gone. Might be able to post this week as I travel, but likely not after.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Have a wonderful time.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast