Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

A Blast from the (UQ) Past!

This 1st picture just popped up randomly on my log in page. It appears to be about the introduction of War Bonnet's new UQ, new as of the date 12-16-07, which is when it was added to the HF gallery, over 10 years ago! You can see the bats of CS XP in the background. I have recently posted in another thread a picture a forum member testing the prototype in his Dad's backyard in Denver at Christmas right after these pics were taken, temps close to zero, no tarp with new blowing snow piled up under this quilt, actually looks like it might be touching in one area. His only protection from that cold and snow was his Dad's old synthetic bag, this UQ and probably some sort of foot pad(maybe his pack?). And he was fine, though a self proclaimed hot sleeper.

This GREAT UQ was either a first, or maybe tied for 1st, in a number of areas. I'm not certain, because I know JRB was neck and neck with timing for some of these developments:
    1: First torso sized UQ, which soon became the down filled Yeti when WBG had trouble getting enough CS,
    2: first differential cut UQ(JRB either 1st or at almost the exact same time? Not sure, memory fails)
    3: First UQ suspension that went around the perimeter of the UQ in channels on it's edge, allowing adjustment of position once inside the hammock. I'm pretty sure this was a first
    4: Without question the 1st and only: Designed for the addition and removal of bats of CS which were each(until trouble getting it developed) 4 separate layers of 2.5 osy CS, for a total of 10 osy as used in the prototype test in the Christmas test at about zero.(maybe a little above zero, like 5 - 10F?, but later successfully used below zero) If you wanted an UL summer weight quilt good to 50 or in my case just a bit below, just remove 3 layers leaving only the single layer of 2.5 oz that was permanently sewn in, and you now had an approx. 10 oz UQ! Is it going to be down near freezing? Add 1 or 2 layers adding 2.5-5 oz. Deep winter? All 4, adding another 7.5 oz for a total of 10 oz insulation, total quilt weight of about 18-20 oz. Or as I discovered with my own, there was even room under that last layer for me to stuff a down vest, adding several inches of loft for almost unlimited cold. This UQ was totally unique in this ability.

I still have mine, the last one ever sold I think, all these years later and it still functions perfectly. I just wish I had got the optional sil-nylon sack that covered it inside and out, supplying both an UQP and a VB at little cost and weight. I have never got around to making one.

I was always amazed there was not more demand (once CS became available again) for this UQ. Every one i knew who had one(not many before it was discontinued) really liked it. I always felt the same about the Speer Pea Pod. Is there any one here that uses one of those? You never hear about them. Maybe because, just like this UQ, they work so well, so trouble free?

How to vent:

First big test:
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-02-2018 at 10:41.

• + New Posts