Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

2018 5th Annual Fat Butt Hang>Medoc Mt SP NC. 29-30 March & 1 April 2018

As usual, its always a sad day to be packing up to leave a great hang. First time a group hang has been held here in many years and from the feedback I got from talking to folks who attended, we will be coming back.

Left home at 8 AM on Thursday and got the camp site at 12 noon. Starting unloading the van and trailer to the site ( we had group sites 3 and 4 ). About 2 PM other folks started to show up. Lots of trees to choose from and a large area to set up the cooking stations ect. Of course Sam the Puppy had to greet every one and let them know he was available to chase sticks and or get his ears scratched.

Thursday night we had hamburgers ( with cheese if you wanted ) and hot dogs.

Even had a first time hammock hanger who also not only made it thru the night without any CBS, she also stayed dry during the rain we had come thru and was ready to spend more time in the hammock.

The rain we did get Friday AM was not a downpour but enough to test your tarp and then make fixing breakfast a challenge. The rain lasted until about noon then stopped.

As usual we had lots of great food and I gained an extra 5 lbs that I did not need to gain ( hence the name Fat Butt Hang ).

Barry from Sierra Madre Hammocks was with us all weekend and set up a couple of different hammock set ups for folks to check out and had one of their new Puffle prototype tarps for us to play with and provided feed back on what we liked and did not like and features we thought it needed. He even got to show off his gear to a lady who showed up wanted to learn about hammocks and we heard a squeal of joy after she got into the hammock, we knew she had drunk the kool aid and had become a convert.

We talked to Hot Lips and Kingsford and they told us of their plans to start traveling around the county and hopefully attend some hangs along the way. They brought their dogs Blossom and new addition Joey. Joey who is smaller than Sams head put Sam in his place. Poor Sam was going....what did I do ?... At other times Joey looked like he was Sam's mini me.

Of course we had a great cave man tv going with the only problem was the smoke seemed to select certain folks to follow as we moved around the fire to try and escape it. Of course we will not mention Phantom Grappler almost put out the fire when he spilled most of the water he was boiling for coffee on the fire.

The lows got down into the mid 30's which made for some great temps for sleeping. The first night Sam slept under The Terminator's tarp and she said he was in and out of his crate all night long so I got him the next two nights. Normally I do not keep Sam on a lead at night but since the group next to us had a dog we decided to do so. He let me know he was not happy by chewing thru a tarp tie out line and while I was fixing it, he started to chew thru it again. Then once I got in my hammock he started going under my hammock and knocking my UQ to the side which resulted in CBS several times during the night.

Several folks went for hikes on some of the many hiking trails in the park. A brave few also joined the full moon night hike.

The camp ground hosts stopped by to check on us several times. They misread the "Hammock Hang" sign I placed along the road leading to our hang as saying "Hammock Hunters" and wanted to know what we were hunting. They then spread the word around the family camp ground that we would welcome anyone who wanted to learn about hammock camping. They also liked Sam so much that the wife gave us a us a free bundle of fire wood and said it was for Sam.

Lots more stories but I will let others tell them.

I will post pictures as I have time to download them from my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-03-2018 at 08:05.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Dbl
    Tarp
    futureDIY superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Underqlt
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/straps
    Thanks to Gunner for organizing and booking with the campground(and moving it closer); AA2FD got the fire rolling Friday evening and made sure it was well stoked while also judiciously making sure we had enough firewood to last the rest of the weekend; Phantom Grappler discovered we tied our shoes wrong and gave us elementary lessons before the Moonlight hike also made sure the fire didn't get out of hand with a little extinguishing; Pappyamos, Slugger, Tacoma and I enjoyed the ~4.5mi Summit loop hike which was helped to get me a very good night sleep last night; CajunRacer(Barry) had some excellent hammocks/shelters and even better stories to share; StarfishComet had everything that I asked for and it's amazing it all fits in that little car; every one as usual gave the hang something that made it great, the park staff seemed to enjoy us and it will be nice to have more hangs in the future.

Kingsford/Hotlips we all will miss you, we've learned very much from hanging with you and we'll try not to starve until you can join us again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Learning by doing, Jack of All Trades.
    Keep your feet on the ground and your minds in the woods!

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Dbl
    Tarp
    futureDIY superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Underqlt
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/straps
    More pics

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Learning by doing, Jack of All Trades.
    Keep your feet on the ground and your minds in the woods!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I wonder how many folks recognize that ancient piece of technology by that fence ?

Great pictures
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-03-2018 at 08:10.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Many thanks for letting this Virginia redneck join in for a couple of days. I learned a lot.

My first group hang is in the books. Lots of friendly folks and LOTS of food. It was really tough to not indulge in the food. I made it out unscathed and even lost a pound, but it was difficult to keep my hands in my pockets with so much good stuff available.

Had a good time and met a lot of new people.

Thanks to Gunner for hosting this and welcoming me into the fold.

Special thanks to Cajunracer for spending so much time educating me on the finer things in hammocking. Expect an order soon.

Thanks to Phantom Grappler for the tips and advice. Your tenderfoot badge was obviously only momentary. You indeed know a lot about cordage and knots and the skills of a woodsman.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome.

If you ever come to Blue Ridge mountains. Let me know, I'll show you around.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like you guys had a good time and ate some great food!

Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Me and Coffee Girl had a great time, meeting new and old friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Phantom...I was surprised that it took over a day before you started giving us knot trying lessons. I must admit it was useful as I learned I have been tying my shoes wrong all this time
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-03-2018 at 08:14.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Thanks to Gunner for hosting this and welcoming me into the fold.
    That is what make these hangs so much fun as it is a chance to meet the faces behind the posts and discover the wealth of talent that resides within this community.
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-03-2018 at 08:19.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    Thank you to everyone who helped with this hang, Gunner and Terminator especially for y'all's wonderful cooking and Barry from SMR for lending me a bugnet and TQ to test on Thursday night. I would gladly be willing to do further testing anytime you need The pain of only being able to stay one night (Thursday) was offset by the joy of seeing old friends and making new ones. Animal, Chknbone, Veronica, Barry, and JollyGreen, it was wonderful to meet y'all and I look forward to seeing y'all at another hang soon! PappyAmos, Gunner, Terminator, AA2FD, Slugger, Starfish Comet, and anyone else who I am missing, it was so good to see y'all again! Regarding the hang, the food was wonderful, Friday's rain was a nice first wet-test for my tarp, and the temperatures were perfectly mild. While I wish I could have stayed longer and seen everyone, I had a wonderful time and I look forward to the next hang!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast