Hammock
    Chimera
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/straps
    Im Sure you will be happy with either. I haven't tried the XLC but anyone who has seems to love it. Just laid in my new chameleon in 1.6 hex wide last night and O man is it comfy.

I'll be using it while traveling long term. I kind of don't want to go through the trouble of buying both and selling one. I don't need 2, and wouldn't carry both on the road.

There's one factor i used to decide. Almost all of the people who have both say that they are both great, just different. Interestingly most of them who get a 3rd hammock, tend to get a Chameleon, and use that more the the XLC.

Quote Originally Posted by daltonivy View Post
    Just laid in my new chameleon in 1.6 hex
    How do you like the material? Thats the one I plan on going for. Most seem to like the 1.0 more, but I like the extra durability.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have both and for me the biggest difference is the Chameleon is a lighter hammock so if you are back packing this may be important. The XLC is a "heavier" built hammock and in my opinion more durable as the materials used are more substantial. I also personally like the built in shelf on the XLC rather than the add on sidecar for the Chameleon. They are both very comfortable so really you can't go wrong either way.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vargan View Post
    It's still such a tough choice though lol, they are both great hammocks. Anyone have both and wants to put in their .02?
    TL;DR - pretty sure you'll be happy with either. I'd personally recommend :

• XLC + Wooki if you want a great proven system for colder hangs and you don't mind a little weight
    • XLC or Chameleon both great for summer or light 3-season solo hangs
    • Chameleon possibly has a slight edge if you might be doing tandem hangs (two people, one tarp... although that can be done with the XLC too)
    • Chameleon system modularity adds a lot of options for increased flexibility (for less $, but can add more weight)
    • Either way, I'm loving my DutchWare Single and Double Whoopie Hook - based whoopie sling suspensions, but YMMV (straps & buckles might be easier if you don't mind a little extra weight)

---

Just spent my first night (drizzly low 30s) in my new Heavyweight Double Layer Blackbird XLC + 3-Season Wooki. It's an amazing combo and the Wooki is effectively idiotproof - first time I'd ever used an underquilt and it worked perfectly. I don't doubt that a Chameleon could be set up equally well for cold weather, but finding and learning to use the perfect UQ for your hanging style with a Chameleon could take some time. The Wooki + XLC "just works".

I also have an Argon 1.6 single layer 11' Netless from Dutch ($30, how can you not?) which I tried a few nights back and gave up around two in the morning, but that was almost assuredly my fault. It was hard to get a comfortable position, but I doubt I had an optimum setup (this was the first time I'd every used a hammock with a structural ridgeline) and at 6' I'd probably find it easier in a Wide. When I did manage to get comfy, my pad would tend to slip off the sides. A Chameleon with a top cover or bugnet would have probably kept it in place easily (didn't have this problem in a cheap short Amazon Eno knockoff with integrated bugnet), a Wide with a bugnet would probably by luxurious. Also, I did NOT have the Dual Knotty Mod on the Netless - that might have helped significantly even with the standard width Netless.

I'll be using it while traveling long term.
    What kind of travelling? Road trip? Biking? Backpacking? If weight isn't a huge issue, the heavyweight double layer XLC seems close to bombproof - I'll be doing some camping with my son's Boy Scout troop so I wanted light but durable and that was worth an extra pound (vs single layer Chameleon Wide + bugnet), especially since we're probably a few years from taking on serious backpacking trips (he's 11). Just hope none of the kids try sitting on the underquilt...

That said, keep in mind that the single layer 1.7 XLC and the single layer Chameleon wide with Asym bugnet both come in around 22 ounces - so the weights are pretty close to equal for the same-ish system. If you go for the Chameleon mesh Integrated Sidecar Top, it will add two ounces. The "shelf" on the XLC is really convenient, if (when...) I get a Chameleon I'll probably get a Sidecar top (you can get the modular Sidecar as a separate piece, but that adds another 4 ounces - great flexibility, but the weight adds up if you'll be backpacking).

I'm old enough to appreciate a comfortable sleep platform (bought and returned a top end Tempurpedic after finding a mattress we liked better at Relax-The-Back). The near unanimous reports of comfort for the WBBB XLC made it the top contender for me and while one night is a pretty small test, I'm quite impressed so far.

I kind of don't want to go through the trouble of buying both and selling one. I don't need 2, and wouldn't carry both on the road.
    You say that now... If "on the road" involves anything beyond your legs to carry all your gear, your resolve might weaken over time. I'm really close to ordering a single layer Chameleon Wide - because I like the flexibility having both provides and I've been quite impressed with everything else I've gotten from Dutchware so far. The XLC will probably end up my go-to setup for fall/winter/spring and short to medium backpacking trips where I'm hanging solo. I'm thinking the Chameleon will excel at summer trips, longer backpacking treks, and for tandem hangs if and when I can convince my wife to give it a try (already have Dutch spreader bars and Double Hammock Whoopie Hooks - just need a Birds Nest or Double Dutch bugnet and a jumbo tarp).

So to wrap up and summarize my $0.02...
    It's still such a tough choice though lol, they are both great hammocks. Anyone have both and wants to put in their .02?
    Really, it's not. While one or the other might have a slight edge for very specific scenarios, I suspect you'd end up quite happy with your choice merely flipping a coin. The only likely regret I see in your case is the the additional time you could have spent in a great hammock the longer you wait to decide...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    My first hammock was a WBBB XL DL. I found I could shed a pound by getting the WBBB SL and that’s what I’ve taken section hiking on the AT. I had no experience hiking or hanging and the WBBB stood up to all kinds of trials, performing way beyond expectations in comfort and durability. The Blackbird has a unique sweet spot that leaves me in wonder.

I don’t have hiking experience with the Chameleon but it’s super nice and I’ve no doubt but it’d do well on the trail. A Dream Hammock might be the choice for my next hike, as it’s constructed (my choice) out of Robic, a tough and light material, plus those hammocks are also top tier.

If grams matter to you, compare these three. All are great.

Ok, full disclosure: I don't have either of these hammocks. With that said, I do have some Dutch hammocks and a WBBB (just not an XLC). I use my netless Dutch hammocks more. I like that they are lighter, and the modularity so I can use whatever bugnet is best for season, dog, etc. I also twist and turn in the night, so I don't like having a set lay direction, which of course the BB does. I also like being able to get in and out of the hammock on both sides. So, for my very personal preferences, I've found what I tend to use. Obviously, nothing is "wrong" with any of my hammocks - it's just been a process of discovering what I find to be more comfortable.
    For what it's worth, my most comfortable hammock ever was the https://www.hammockbliss.com/sky-bed, but it did eventually rip at the seams
    Up to you - perhaps some of my decision factors might be ones that affect you as well, perhaps not!

Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    What kind of travelling? Road trip? Biking? Backpacking?
    Backpacking, but more in the lines of "international travel with a backpack". I'm bringing a hammock so I can hit the trails when I'm there. Probably in South America and Europe, but maybe other places as well. And so I can guerrilla camp as well if i need. Will also be using it in the jungle.

I'll be carrying everything on my back, ofc. But it won't be for miles every day unless I hit the trail. But still I want to keep things down. I think without the hammock/tp/uq/tarp, everything else should fit in a 30-35L.

Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    That said, keep in mind that the single layer 1.7 XLC and the single layer Chameleon wide with Asym bugnet both come in around 22 ounces
    I don't think I need to go for the wide option. I was using hennessy hyperlite before, and slept like a baby XD

When I did my numbers, on paper its just above an ounce difference. The Chameleon (1.6/350 lbs) with side car comes up just under the XLC (SL/250 lbs). The increased durability for similar weight was the thing that attracted me to it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I have the Chameleon but not the XLC. I use both HG incubator and phoenix underquilts and from day 1 never had an issue setting them up on the Chameleon. I did watch all of Shugs quilt videos prior which made choice and set up very easy.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Ohh.. the game has been changed....Now you can get a printed Chameleon with any image you want. How cool is that. The Chameleon is also lighter weight than an equivalent WBBB XLC.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Ohh.. the game has been changed....Now you can get a printed Chameleon with any image you want. How cool is that...
    As well as more graphic prints being added to the current Dutchware selections.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast