Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The struggle is real Blackbird xlc vs Chameleon

Initially, when I saw the chameleon, I dismissed it and decided to go for the blackbird. But now, the more I look at it, the more I'm leaning towards it.

You get more robust fabric for mostly the same weight (with the sidecar), if not a little lighter. And with the pack hooks, you pretty much any under quilt should stay in place and won't move around on you. Though I have read on here that some have issue with that.

Can anyone suggest which UQ will be best for the chameleon so it's just set and go?

It's still such a tough choice though lol, they are both great hammocks. Anyone have both and wants to put in their .02?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have both.
    There really is no "set it and go" UQ for the Chameleon though just about any UQ works on it.
    Same for XLC....any UQ works but Wooki is made exclusively for the XLC.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have both. Both are great. You can't go wrong now that the XLC is a fully modular system. The new XLC is better than ever, and it was already awesome.

That said, if you want to be certain of 100% forward compatibility then the Chameleon is the obvious choice, since it was designed with that in mind. You also get more options. I love my Chameleons (I have 3), and I'm always looking forward to what Dutch has in store next...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-01-2018 at 13:04.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have both and use the hammock gear full length UQ on both and sleep well in both. I am 6’ 1” and use the B.B. XLC double and the camealon in 2.4 Hexon. I usually use the XLC in the winter and the Dutch in the summer. If I was limited to one and did not want to mess with an UQ figuring I would go with the XLC and their UQ system with out a doubt. I have loaned both out to several friends and they all fall in love with the XLC.

Just note if you are just starting in this quest you most likely will end up with many. They seem to multiply in my gear cabinet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm not exactly new to this, but in a way I am. I have a Hennessy Hyperlite right now, but I'm going to sell it. And looking for something a bit more durable for long term traveling with. So it has to be reliable, you never know what country I will be in, and damage to gear isn't something I'd want to deal with abroad.

I've never had to use an UQ before though (only used in summer before), hence my concern. I understand that the Wooki is sort of hassle free. So I was hoping that the hooks on the Chameleon worked in a similar fashion.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargan View Post
    Well I'm not exactly new to this, but in a way I am. I have a Hennessy Hyperlite right now, but I'm going to sell it. And looking for something a bit more durable for long term traveling with. So it has to be reliable, you never know what country I will be in, and damage to gear isn't something I'd want to deal with abroad.

I've never had to use an UQ before though (only used in summer before), hence my concern. I understand that the Wooki is sort of hassle free. So I was hoping that the hooks on the Chameleon worked in a similar fashion.
    The hooks help keep the UQ from sliding off and to the side. You still need to know the basics of hanging a UQ in proper fashion.
    My UQ playlist....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I'm sure that I can learn how to set up the UQ correctly. I was just hoping that those hooks would prevent the UQ from moving and creating cold spots, as i toss and turn in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    And just to make it a bit more complex, it really is super easy to make the wookie work with the Chameleon as well. Just some initial adjustments and then it'll be just as plug-and-play as on the XLC

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have both. And I bet I'll be the only one to say this, but I prefer the Chameleon. Here's why, I lay head right and feet left. I have the updated XLC, after the top cover is flipped to lay that way, and due to the fact that I prefer to enter from the left, the shelf that is loved by all, is in my way to enter, and the location of the zipper stops just doesn't make any sense to me at all. The good news is my 15 year old son LOVES it. So it's his now.
    The Chameleon is easier to get in and out of, put the zippers where ever you want, no pullout cords in the way, regardless of which way you prefer to enter, and now there's printed fabrics available!
    Regardless of my preference, both are of top notch quality and craftsmanship. Both are equally comfortable.
    My advice, buy them both, as I did, pick the one you like the best, and sell the other one here. Which was my plan, til my son wouldn't get out of the XLC and slept in it for 10 hours....hahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I just bought the XLC. Chameleon is on my list for future purchases. Why fight it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast