WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    It is cheaper to lose the ounces off your arse.
    Agreed!

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I sleep in thin hammocks like Hexon 1.0 and my only qualm with zippers is the slight chance the zipper or zipper pull digging in and wearing down on the hammock. For this reason, I have always gone with snap footboxes whenever I need a quilt than can convert to a blanket. I don't kick my feet often, so I have not experienced any of my snaps accidentally popping open as others have reported.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I personally think it's a great upgrade, the zipper, over the snaps. It's going to be warmer, more secure and neater looking than the snaps. With it zipped up, it's very much akin to a sewn footbox but with the versatility to open up when too warm. The zipper appears to be very lightweight and not particularly prone to snagging and ripping fragile, lighter weight hammock fabrics.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I did frequently experience opening snaps in my sleep with my Burrow, so I welcome this improvement. I’m going all sewn shut now. So I will never use snaps again, but a zipper, I might consider.

The new SierraMadre Puffle also looks like a nice solution to this problem with their little draft collar at the feet to plug that hole up better.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I did frequently experience opening snaps in my sleep with my Burrow, so I welcome this improvement. I’m going all sewn shut now. So I will never use snaps again, but a zipper, I might consider.

The new SierraMadre Puffle also looks like a nice solution to this problem with their little draft collar at the feet to plug that hole up better.
    I had to google the Puffle. Interesting idea. The rest of the thing isn't my bag, especially down type and price but I like the idea of this https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/020...gif-q=50&q=92&

EDIT: I guess you have to copy and paste the link - clicking directly doesn't work. Also, I'm not good at this sort of thing https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/020...gif-q=50&q=92&

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    @Brooklyn I’m guessing you are trying to show this?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I think the Puffle might be a bit of overkill, but I was thinking of something similar a few days ago: why don't manufacturers like Enlightened Equipment and Hammock Gear add a small insulated "flap" that you could stuff into the opening left over when you cinch up the footbox area? It wouldn't take much...about a 4" x 4" down-filled flap, situated in the right place would probably be enough to fill the opening.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    I think the Puffle might be a bit of overkill, but I was thinking of something similar a few days ago: why don't manufacturers like Enlightened Equipment and Hammock Gear add a small insulated "flap" that you could stuff into the opening left over when you cinch up the footbox area? It wouldn't take much...about a 4" x 4" down-filled flap, situated in the right place would probably be enough to fill the opening.
    It appears to be simply a draft collar at the foot end and it seems like it works from the pics. This plus zippers would make me reconsider going convertible with my 40° quilt.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    We'll be taking them on a trip this weekend, but I can already tell in my limited tests that we will be very happy with them.
    Just an update: my son took his new 40* Burrow with 3oz of overfill and the zippered footbox on a trip last weekend. He also had a 3-season AHE Potomac UQ on his Hennessy Expedition. The temps got down to about 30 with a 12mph wind and he was toasty warm all night.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I do like how the Puffle closes the hole in the foot end but I'll stick with a regular quilt. For me, snaps are a no go; had them once and hated them. For dedicated hammocking I like a sewn foot box. Even if you sleep in a tent once or twice a year, you can still use a sewn foot box. I'll only use a snap/draw cord on summer weight quilts. The zipper is an interesting idea that I'll follow but like others have said, I cringe at the idea of having a zipper against the hammock. I have some very light weight hammocks made out of 1.1 fabric, I wouldn't want even a smooth metal zipper rubbing against that.
    Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast