Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops

Hammock Gear Zippered Top Quilt

It looks like Hammock Gear has gone from a snap/cinch foot box to a zipper/cinch foot box. Has anyone tried this new zippered version? What are your thoughts? Not sure what I think about using zippers. Maybe they had too many problems with the snaps. I'd only consider a quilt without a sewn foot box for the warmer weather versions anyway.
    Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Great question. I was just looking at these and saw this as well. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this new configuration.

Hammock
    UKHammocks Woodsmanx
    Tarp
    hilleberg tarp10ul
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Looks like a good idea to me as you could open it right out if you had to go to ground or if your feet were getting to hot.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    I just received mine that I ordered for my daughter for our JMT hike this summer. It is very similar to my EE Revelation in design. There was no charge for zipper over the snap cost, but that could be only because I asked HG after seeing their prototype zippered quilts, and they responded that they would add it to my order at no cost. It could be different in the future once it is added to the design options.
    Even during summer hikes, my daughter prefers her 0* sleeping bag, so I ordered her a 0* Econ Burrow with 2oz overstuff. She normally doesn't zip her mummy bag too high, but likes the thicker baffles above her compared to a 20*-30* bag. I'm sure she'll enjoy it as much as I like my 10* Revelation and being able to completely open it up in warmer weather gives it a large comfort window.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I ordered 2 Econ's on Tuesday and both are the new zip design. Mine was in stock, 40° dark olive&black of course lol) so I'll have it tomorrow and will post some pics along with an unboxing vid . The second quilt will be my wife's first ever TQ and she got a 40° as well, Moroccan blue/gray + 1oz. The wait is 6-7 weeks right now so when hers finally comes I'll post pics of it as well. I haven't been on here for a while so I didn't know that they updated the Burrows design until her and I were going over her quilt options. This will be my first non-sewn footbox quilt so I'm looking forward to it and the new design.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The Enlightened Equipment Revelation has this exact same feature with the zippered footbox. They also sell the sewn foot box for those folks that like that feature on their top quilt. After having bought the zippered foot box, I kind of wish I had bought the sewn foot box, as it is lighter sans zipper, warmer, and has less fiddle factor. The zippered foot box makes any quilt more versatile though, but with the aforementioned cons..

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    The Enlightened Equipment Revelation has this exact same feature with the zippered footbox. They also sell the sewn foot box for those folks that like that feature on their top quilt. After having bought the zippered foot box, I kind of wish I had bought the sewn foot box, as it is lighter sans zipper, warmer, and has less fiddle factor. The zippered foot box makes any quilt more versatile though, but with the aforementioned cons..
    I have the revelation and really like the zippered footbox. I don’t see a huge difference in weight penalty, but if you count grams I guess it’s a difference. I agree with others that anything below a 20* quilt I would prefer a sewn footbox.

Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    One thing I can say about size (length) of the top quilt, it is better to go with a longer version if you are 5'8" or taller. I am 5 '10", and like to pull the TQ over my head sometimes while fully stretched out, and my head pokes out too far for my tastes with the standard length TQ.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkayaker View Post
    There was no charge for zipper over the snap cost, but that could be only because I asked HG after seeing their prototype zippered quilts, and they responded that they would add it to my order at no cost.
    I ordered two 40* Burrow Econ top quilts with 3 oz overfill (one for me, one for my son) about 5 weeks ago and selected the footbox snap option. When they arrived a couple days ago, they had the zippered footbox and the new baffle design, and I am extremely happy about the changes. The new design seems to be better (as noted, very similar to the Enlightened Equipment design) and IMHO is an improvement over the snap design. We'll be taking them on a trip this weekend, but I can already tell in my limited tests that we will be very happy with them.

It has been said here before, but I will repeat it again: their Econ line is an amazing deal and sacrifices very little for a $100 savings. I'm sure the "stuffability" is a little less on the Econ line and you give up a little in weight, but the weight penalty is pretty small: for example, the Burrow 40 premium vs econ with no overfill is 14.58 oz vs 19.22 oz. That's a difference of 4.64 oz or (as I view it) 1.93 CBU's ("Clif Bar Units"). For less than 2 Clif Bars in weight, I'll take the $100 savings every time.

Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    I ordered two 40* Burrow Econ top quilts with 3 oz overfill (one for me, one for my son) about 5 weeks ago and selected the footbox snap option. When they arrived a couple days ago, they had the zippered footbox and the new baffle design, and I am extremely happy about the changes. The new design seems to be better (as noted, very similar to the Enlightened Equipment design) and IMHO is an improvement over the snap design. We'll be taking them on a trip this weekend, but I can already tell in my limited tests that we will be very happy with them.

It has been said here before, but I will repeat it again: their Econ line is an amazing deal and sacrifices very little for a $100 savings. I'm sure the "stuffability" is a little less on the Econ line and you give up a little in weight, but the weight penalty is pretty small: for example, the Burrow 40 premium vs econ with no overfill is 14.58 oz vs 19.22 oz. That's a difference of 4.64 oz or (as I view it) 1.93 CBU's ("Clif Bar Units"). For less than 2 Clif Bars in weight, I'll take the $100 savings every time.
    shedding the last few ounces are always the most expensive. It is cheaper to lose the ounces off your arse.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast