Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Help making my first Costco down UQ/TQ - dimensions + footbox?

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have been doing a lot of reading since I got my 2 costco down quilts in that I plan on converting to each a UQ and TP. The original dimensions are 60"Wx70"L. I've already ripped the seams for longitudinal baffels for the UQ and horizontal baffles on for the TQ.

I'm not going to do the Gemini method as I prefer to not have a bunch of paracord about so I plan on sewing grosgrain around each 4 sides of my UQ and setting up a primary and secondary suspension using 1/8" paracord.

For reference, I'm 6' 200lbs and I have a chameleon 11' hammock. I also plan on sleeping down to low 50*Fs.

My UQ so far is still unmodified at 12x14 squares (60x70) but I understand 60" is too wide and it will sag. Since the squares are exactly 5" large, I can either cut off 2 or 3 columns depending on if I want to go 45 or 50" wide. I read many commercial UQs are in the range of 40-50" W. Not sure if that includes the suspension but I suppose the grosgrain would add 1-1.5" to the total W. Should I go with 45 or 50? This will be my only UQ for the forseeable future so I'd prefer to not regret it later. Also, should 70" long be sufficient?

If I cut of 2 columns (2x14 squares), I would add them to my TQ thereby giving me 80" in total length and I would be left with 2x2 squares which I suppose is too small to be used for the base of a footbox but I could add that down to the TQ for instance.

If I cut 3 columns, I'd be left with 2x3 squares which could possibly (somehow?) serve as a footbox or even just extra down.

Regarding the TQ, I was merely going to fold it in half and sew the bottom and a bit up the side to make a "flat" footbox. My footbox would effectively be 30" wide. I shift a lot in my sleep so room is important to me. I've read some people make a kind of box but I can only see that lessening the length of the TQ and I don't think the 2x2 squares would help much either. Is it really necessary to add a bottom to the footbox? I imagine it just gives your feet a bit more room? I used to be a ground dweller and never really noticed any uncomfort from a flat sleeping bag (never liked mummy bags!).

I hope to get to sewing tomorrow so any advice is really appreciated! I'm also thinking of ordering 1/2lb of 700FP goose down from Amazon for $25-35 which should help bulk up the UQ/TQ.

Here's a link to my plan: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by uninjured; 03-31-2018 at 16:13.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I did 3 sq cutz long and cut that in half to make draft collars for each end. [those are prolly overkill to 50°]
    The grosgrain hid the feather edges just fine.
    You could also use those cutz for a footbox on your TQ, or just to add extra length. My TQ was already made.
    70" works for me... remember, you are going on a diagonal.

Lurv my CDTz!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Thanks Flash. I'm checking commercial UQ sites and I still can't seem to nail if 45 vs 50" W is ideal for the UQ. Right now I'm leaning towards 45" (remove 3 boxes) and will add 15" to my TQ length to make it 85" as I read some TQ manufactures make 85"+ for people above 5'10. Basically, with 50" I have 5x20" extra fabric to serve as the base of my footbox but with 45" I'll have 5x30" for my footbox which should hopefully give some room. I could of course use the extra fabric to widen my footbox which would be interesting!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Personally, I am a fan of a simple gathered end foot [channel across with a drawstring... let loose on warm/ chinch her up lower. AND you can get a few extra inches on the length easily since the "rumples" inthe gather are their own insulation. I added 4" to my stock CDT. Just sew a slim channel right out at the edge of the added piece to keep the draw out as far as possible.
    I sleep under one like that every night on my bed.
    Add the cut to your TQ and with the finished edges sewn together at the foot, [the channel will hide the fuzzyfeather edge except for 5" on one corner, and you have an 85" TQ.
    You could even roll the top edge of the TQ one sq back to the first seam for a chin-y-chin-chin collar and still get 80".

Just my thought, but what I plan for my next CDT TQ/UQ pair.
    [I'm still completely out on the pulling seams for loft controversy... I can't tell much diff. But I think overstuffing is useless on a light quilt like this!]

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I actually just finished making my TQ today. I cut out 3-square columns giving me 45" on my UQ (still waiting on grosgrain and paracord to arrive). I added the 3 columns from the UQ horizontally to my TQ for 85" total length and 60"W except for the 3 added channels which are 70". I sewed the whole bottom shut so my footbox is 70" diameter and 15" high. I thought about a drawstring but for such a light TQ I reckon I'll need it sewn and sturdy and since my footbox is only 15" deep I can easily stick my feet out from under if I got hot.

Now I just hope my 45" W UQ is good enough as I can't really test it out before I get out there camping...

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    My CDT 45" reaches up far enough for me, and my HG Incu20° I'm pretty sure is a 45" as well.

• + New Posts