Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    ...If I had only ever used pads from those two companies, I would have assumed that I simply need an r-value of 8 or something. But I have never been cold with any Therm-a-Rest pads even below freezing, and those were rated similar. I would be very interested to hear how these companies measure their r-values. I simply don't understand, how the real world results can be so different! I have been eying pads from other manufacturers, but I'm very hesitant to go through with my order because of my experiences so far.
    I definitely understand your perspective.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thank you everyone for all the detailed replies. I'm off to order a WBRR and will use the Thermarest Solar until I'm uncomfortable then I'll buy the matching UQ. If anyone is interested in a Hennessey Explorer UL with whoopies and Super shelter let me know.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spickus View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the detailed replies. I'm off to order a WBRR and will use the Thermarest Solar until I'm uncomfortable then I'll buy the matching UQ. If anyone is interested in a Hennessey Explorer UL with whoopies and Super shelter let me know.
    That is one of the 2 pads I stacked in the Speer SPE that I used very warmly at 18F, as reported above. But it has has some some sort of radiation blocker that supposedly increases the R value to 3.5 from the 2.6 mine was rated at. If that is true, I would expect to find this pad by itself warm for me down to about 40F or so. If the radiation block does not help as much as claimed, I would expect that pad to be warm for me to about 50F. But, there is always the WM blue pad. If you can find one about 1/2" thick, it should easily add another 20º or more to what you already have. You will just need the torso size, you can cut it down if you want. Just stack them in the pad pocket, assuming you have one. But unless your pads are 25" wide or more, you will need something for your shoulders.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I had a similar experience this weekend using a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite (R-value 4.4) in an REI Half Dome Air bridge hammock. I was hoping the pad would do two things for me: a) keep me warm without an under quilt and b) reduce shoulder squeeze. I would not recommend this particular pad for either. It was only 47 degrees and, while I'm a cold sleeper, I thought I should have been more comfortable. Also, the pad is 23" wide but it didn't help too much with the shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So there I was on the internet idly fondling my credit card flipping between the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and Arrowhead Equipment Ridge Creek XL websites and BANG! It just went off....

Images
    So there I was on the internet idly fondling my credit card flipping between the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and Arrowhead Equipment Ridge Creek XL websites and BANG! It just went off....
    So you are getting an UQ? Which one?

Also, re: the pads, I just ran into this at WB's website discussing adding a pad to UQs:
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-underquilts/

" In an emergency situation you can stack the Yeti and leg pad on top of eachother (the pad would go inside the hammock under your back or between the double layers, never put a pad between the underquilt and the hammock, doing so creates a bad fit resulting in heat loss). So if the temp unexpectedly drops below the rating of your underquilt, you can stack the underquilt and leg pad together adding at least 25 deg of extra warmth to the torso, then you’d just use something make-shift under the legs like your empty pack, raingear etc..................".

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you are getting an UQ? Which one?
    The Ridge Creek XL

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    adding at least 25 deg of extra warmth to the torso
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed it'd be that much.

Images
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed it'd be that much.
    Well, all depends on the thickness- and even type of- pad of course. (inflatable pads usually have to be thicker to = CCF). But, as he is talking about using his leg and sit pad for emergency back warmth, I wouldn't think that pad would be all that thick. But I would certainly expect my cut down WM blue sit/leg pad, about 1/2" thick, to add about that much warmth, more or less.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-03-2018 at 08:56.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have had a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite pad and used it during a summer night in my Ridgerunner hammock. The temps can't have been less than 65°F - I would say it was around 70°F. I woke up shivering at midnight. Granted, I sleep very cold, but Klymit claims an r-value of 4.4!!! I have used a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus pad, that "only" has an r-value of 3.4 successfully down to probably 40°F in a hammock, and I'm sure I could have taken it much lower.

As far as I could see, the "insulation" of the Klymit was a very thin (less than 1mm) layer of fuzz glued to the inside of the pad. Even if something like that could provide adequate insulation, the pad has "baffles". If it was a quilt, you would say it was "sewn through". This means, there's no insulation where chambers end. This design might work on the ground, where the air can't circulate (much) between the chambers, but unfortunately, there's a lot of air circulation under the hammock...

I definitely would NOT recommend Klymit for temperatures near freezing - unless you sleep seriously warm. I sold my pad, and I won't buy another Klymit product soon.
    I experimented with some pads this year when temps where in the teens. I started off with the Klymit insulated and the "sewn through" analogy is accurate. It is designed for the sleeping bag to fill the void on top and be on the ground. It is not a good choice for a hammock or use on ground with a top quilt instead of sleeping bag. The Thermarest air pads performed much better.

I used thermarest foam pads before there were underquilts and a ridgerest worked into the teens for me. I have been using a neoair with a diy bridge project over the past couple months and works great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123