First splicing attempt

So I tried splicing a dutch hook into some zing it. I was using floral wire to do it. It wasn't the thinnest I could find (it felt too flimsy), but 2nd thinnest.

It went well for the most part, it was actually easier than i thought it would be. Except for the last step.

But in the process of pulling the loose end inside the zing it, it became very tight. Despite trying to keep it scrunched up. I used pliers to pull it and ended up breaking the wire, it was so tight. I think there is a bit of wire stick inside too.

Nothing but perfection will do. Any tips?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    The bury is the hardest part, especially with thin line like zing-it. Try doing it with 7/64" or 1/8" amsteel first. It's hard for me to describe it - there's a feel to it! Once you've got it, it gets easier, and the larger diameter line is a whole lot easier to use to figure it out.

Also, loop turners make it a whole lot easier than using wire. Dutch has a very reasonable set on his site that works with various diameters.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Never use force when splicing. It's tempting, I know. But you'll have to learn how to coax the rope into doing what you want. It's like a Chinese finger trap: the harder you pull, the tighter it gets. Thin out the end and milk the rope. Be patient and take a break whenever you are losing your patience - and eventually you'll get the hang

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    If it takes too much force pull it apart and start again. Sounds like a pain but sometimes it just won’t “go” and that is what it takes. Try pulling it through and rolling it between your thumb and forefinger at the same time.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    My first splicing attempt was a couple of adjustable ridge lines out of 2.2mm Lash-it using floral wire. I made it happen, but what a PITA! My finger tips were raw from trying to coax 10 or 12 buries in that tiny line. My next attempt was a soft shackle out of 7/64 Amsteel. What a difference 0.5mm makes! With a little practice (and some bigger line), you'll find your groove and splicing will become fun!

It actually wasn't bad. I was't loosing patience or anything like that, it was just too tight, even though i was keeping the area scrunched up. I only did one hook to see how it would go, and to get some practice before i order some amsteel for suspension. This line is cheaper than amsteel, in case things went wrong anyway. I figured if I could do this, the thicker line will be easier.

But I saw a different video on splicing amsteel that had information to help with this. The zing it splicing vid didn't have this.

Next time I will cut a few threads off the tip that will go inside. This way the part I fold over and grab with the wire will be thinner and easier to pull through.

Steps 6-10 on this
    http://www.animatedknots.com/longbur...matedknots.com
    Last edited by Vargan; 03-30-2018 at 07:24.

From what I've read that's posted here you always need to taper the ends if you want to be anywhere near the rated strength. Otherwise the abrupt size change is the weak link in the splice and you're close to the derating of a knot.

• + New Posts