Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    For reliability and convenience, check out cinch buckles with 1" straps. Add a biner or Dutch clip on the end of the strap, and everything can stay connected. I don't think it gets any more convenient than that!
    I like whoopies and UCRs, mainly because I'm a geek and enjoy fiddling with different methods. But I always use cinch buckles for my kids' hammocks - the rule is that if they're going to be out on the trail with me, everybody sets up their own gear. Using that method, I've never had an issue with them struggling to get it done.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I agree with Humneso about a strap system having better reliability and convenience.

I used whoopies for a bit. I had tree huggers, larksheaded to the whoopie sling, which had a Dutchware whoopie hook, which I connected to the amsteel loop at my hammock.

I actually found the versatility lacking, mostly because the slings have a minimum amount of distance you need between the hammock and the tree. I wanted to go shorter a few times and it was a pain. And yes, it's easy to adjust, but not more easy than a becket hitch knot, because you have to milk the whoopie sling and then test the adjustment. So it ended up being fairly light, moderately convenient to adjust, with only average versatility. I didn't like that balance.

A strap and buckle system is dead simple and you don't have to worry about that. High weight rating too.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I like to use Dutch Biners, because they give me the ability to keep my whoopies connected to my hammock, or separate them if needed. Also, instead of a marlin spike/toggle, I larkshead a soft shackle to the webbing, and just slide it up and down-depending on where I need it. Once I have it where I want it, I tie a becket hitch around the soft shackle with the loose end of the webbing to hold it in place. And I run the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling through the soft shackle. This allows me to keep my entire suspension connected to my hammock, or I can separate all components. Also, I've found the whoopie sling slides more smoothly through the Amsteel soft shackle than it does over the marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    I like that suggestion. I'm going to have to try it out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought my BB with whoopies but just swapped them out with continuous loops. So now I have the whoopies larksheaded to my tree huggers (fixed end) then the adjustable end connected to the CLs with a Dutch biner. This gives me the flexibility that if the trees are close together, I can simply go from CL to tree huggers

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I love the whoopie hook suspension. Dutch spiders are an alternative to the marlin spike/ toggle connection that I didn't see mentioned yet. You don't have to keep up with a toggle, infinitely adjustable, doesn't deform and compress your hugger strap. https://youtu.be/d7n2j9_snWk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have been thinking about trying whoopies for the hammock but I sure do like the Beetle Buckles.Time to do some scale work....

Hammock
    WBBB/HH UL Backpacker
    Suspension
    Ti cinch buckles
    I haven't taken delivery yet but I just ordered some items to upgrade my HH Ultralite Backpacker suspension. It may be of interest.

System will be continuous loops, Venom straps and Dutch clips. The whole system should weigh just over 2 oz.

--Venom Straps: pair of 1"x12' UHMWPE straps. Just under 2 oz. per pair. First time trying these out.

--Secured by a modified Becket hitch. See first variation here.

--Why: I was going to go with whoopies until I noticed on Warbonnet's site that the WBBB with cinch buckles was only a couple oz's more than whoopies. I thought they'd be a lot heavier. I find cinch buckles quicker, solve the limitation of huggers and tree size, and solve the minimum length limitation of whoopies. Just my personal preference. Also, I love the Becket hitch, but it didn't play nice with the original sprectra cord on the Backpacker. When I discovered the Venom straps I saw I could then have the advantages of a cinch buckle system at a fraction of the weight.

Items are en route. Hoping to try them out within a few days.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I did simmilar but whoopies directly wrapped around ge knot.

Now i use my own simpler but slower system.

Cant beat SHUGs vids for ideas-he has covered pretty much everything

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymc View Post
    I love the whoopie hook suspension. Dutch spiders are an alternative to the marlin spike/ toggle connection that I didn't see mentioned yet. You don't have to keep up with a toggle, infinitely adjustable, doesn't deform and compress your hugger strap. https://youtu.be/d7n2j9_snWk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It does squish up your strap. It’s a really cool little, did I say little? Device. One of my favorites!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast