Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whoopie Slings Questions

Currently using ring buckle system with HH hyperlite. Changing it to Blackbird xlc , so I figured I'd change suspensions too. It looks like whoopies will give me more flexibility and maybe less weight/bulk than ring buckle. Plus they look **** cool.

Do you guys prefer Whoopie hooks or Dutch biners? Something else? Why?

How do you hook it up to the webbing? Do you just use a hitch knot to a webbing loop? Marlin Spike Toggle? Some kind of buckles? Something else? And Why?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The Marlin Spike Hitch takes the least other hardware, making it lighter and less $ than adding extras to what's a very simple, and once you have done it some, quick system. I run whoopies strait on to the hammock, toggles, and strap.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    When I used whoopies a lot I preferred hooks and just larks headed the whoopie to a set of tree huggers. Occasionally used a Marlinspike hitch on a longer set of straps with either a titanium toggle from Dutch or a stick if I forgot those.

But with the introduction of lighter weight webbing like Kevlar and Dyneema and titanium cinch buckles, I decided I'd rather save a couple ounces somewhere else and have stuck with cinch buckles for the last two years. First with Kevlar and titanium buckles and now mostly with Dyneema/Poly and titanium. I find that buckles and straps give me a lot more flexibility for hanging with trees close together which is common here in New England. Plus they don't freeze solid when wet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Aegismax 40* Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    I just use biners. I've got an XLC with whoopies and tree straps. Biners add like an ounce and a half and no knots. Next best choice imho is a Marlin spike hitch. Both are great choices.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I use whoopie slings and I am the process of moving to UCR's mainly because I can now make the UCR's. I do not use any Dutch Gear. I use a web strap around the trees and a marlin spike hitch. I hang the whoopie directly to the knot. I then biner the whoopie to the hammock. There is a nylon strap loop on the hammock end. I find this suspension quick easily adjustable and simple. Only drawbacks I have are I need to get in the hammock to set it and the readjust as things tighten down, = sag. Also, I find my 8 foot whoopies are just too long for nearly every hag I've had. I end up with a ton of loose line after setting up. This is one reason I made 26" to 50" UCR's. I'll see how those work.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is some whoopie looky-see.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Vargan View Post
    Do you guys prefer Whoopie hooks or Dutch biners? Something else? Why?

How do you hook it up to the webbing? Do you just use a hitch knot to a webbing loop? Marlin Spike Toggle? Some kind of buckles? Something else? And Why?
    No hooks or biners for me. I larkshead the whoopie to the continuous loop on the hammock. I don't worry about wet whoopies too much because the amsteel doesn't really absorb water. I reserve the right to change my mind based on more experience in the future.

I go to the tree strap with a marlin spike hitch. I have small toggles cut from aluminum arrow shafts, but in a pinch a trail stick will work. It's simple and I've been doing it that way for a couple of years and have no compelling reason to change up. YMMV.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been using Dutch Whoopie Hooks since they first came out. I really like them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If I would still use whoopie slings as my hammock suspension of choice, I would attach them to the hammock directly. But these days, I only carry them as a suspension extension, in case I have to go long.

My connection to the tree strap is a Dutch Beetle Buckle - one of my favorite pieces of Dutch hardware. This works with any kind of rope. The Beetle Buckles are easier to use and to adjust than toggles, and they are as idiot proof as possible. I have managed to get the toggle set up incorrectly - but the BBs have yet to fail me.

I'm not yet decided on the best way to attach the whoopie slings to the continuous loops / dog bones on the hammock. I like the Dutch Whoopie Hooks (but spliced into the fixed eye of the whoopie sling because I'm short), the Lawson Loop D Loops as well as the "Eye on Eye Sling toggle" (scroll down to the last set of pictures). Each method has their pros and cons.

• The Whoopie Hooks are tiny, lightweight, easy to use and cannot be lost, but they're not exactly cheap and permanently attached to a specific set of whoopies.
    • The Loop D Loops are cheaper and not permanently attached to the whoopies, but they can be lost and they are a bit larger than the Whoopie Hooks.
    • The eye on eye sling toggle is the cheapest and lightest method, and it's as flexible as the Loop D Loops. But it has some potential for user errors, and you have to look for a suitable stick.

As I said, I haven't decided, yet...
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 03-28-2018 at 05:00.

I'm not really concerned about the cost, just reliability and convenience.

I was considering various buckles, but there seems to be a weight limit on many of them that's under 400, which is the 2 layer blackbird. I think the toggles might be my best option there.

The whoopie hooks are cool, but I think that biners will provide more flexibility for me.

I have thought about the UCR, the reduced bulk sure is a plus for me. But I think that the slings would be more reliable in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is some whoopie looky-see.
    Shuggggg!!!!

You have some of the most informative hammock videos. Keep up the good work

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast