Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am decidedly claustrophobic, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY AM I ABLE TO SLEEP ZIPPED IN. Plus my knee dislocates if I have weight on it while sleeping. Also I sleep very cold.

With my TQ I sleep very comfortable. If I feel too warm I just hang out a foot or leg to regulate my comfort.

In a hammock you need less fabric beecause your UQ cradles you, which translates to your TQ just forms a seal, IF YOU NEED TO BE SEALED. I have a flange around the top and part way down the side of my TQ, the flange is just a single layer of the sleeping bag fabric it seals any drafts. WAY MORE EFFICIENT THAN MY SLEEPING BAG, plus way easier to enter, plus no zipping in.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I believe that the "delicate" side of the equation comes from lighter materials use in manufacturing TQ's plus the fact that many people prefer thinner materials for a weigh savings or plush/soft feel. Take Argon 67 vs Argon 90 for example. Both are excellent materials that are really good for quilts but a sleeping bag(especially a cheap bag) will tend to rely on thicker materials for ground abrasion. Thicker materials are not only heavier but some companies may use a thicker grade of a lesser material to get any useful life from them thus resulting in better "durability" at the cost of weight. With quilts there is really no expected abrasion in the hammock thus the lighter materials can be used effectively. You can lay a SB on the ground and wash the mud off of it easily. Try that with a quilt and the smallest branch may rip a hole in it. I treat a medium grade SB like a croaker sack on the ground but I won't touch my quilts with a dirty hand . It's not that the quilt can't get dirty mind you it's just I would rather not risk it or have to wash it. Plus I think it's a cardinal sin lol. Thou shall not dirty thy quilts lest thee wish to sleep on the ground . I'm not as fortunate as Shug ! I don't have several quilts......yet

Lastly, I have a wide chest and can't fit into any mummy bag comfortably. For side sleeping while hanging I use a wide TQ.

I have nothing but mummy bags. A 30 degree bag, a -20 bag and a summer bag. When in a hammock I've always used them partially unzipped as a sort of top quilt. That was even before I ever heard of a top quilt. I may get a top quilt someday, but for now my mummy bags work nicely as a pseudo top quilt. If I need head coverage a hoodie works well.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Funny, Interesting the history of camping and blankets. Started with blankets, then moved to wrap around blanket(bag) and then to smaller bag to save weight and retain heat(mummy). Now back to blanket with a footbox.

Some marketing genius has us all buying what started as a blanket to a single bag and now two down blankets!!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by WGoff View Post
    Have a UQ coming and have no idea what to expect pack-size wise, but right now every time I look at the SB I feel it needs to go on a diet. Wasn't concerned with space until the tarp and hammock arrived and now even the yak gear may be forced to diet.
    I am new to this as well and used a mummy bag on my first couple hangs. The top quilt packs about 30% smaller than my bag (20 degree TQ vs 30 degree mummy bag) with much less fuss. It also doesn't feel as compressed in the sack. The lightweight fabric just slips right in.

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post
    I HATE mummy bags. TQs are just as warm as a SB assuming you combine with UQ.

I bought a zero degree earlier this year and have been very toasty down to -14 degrees. The -40 UQ didnt hurt either ?.
    Agreed but I’ll add that it can also be used on the ground with a sleeping pad and be just as warm as a sleeping bag but make sure if you’re doing this you get one that’s at least 56” wide.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed Nilsson View Post
    Dear all. I hadn't heard of top quilts before going into hammocking and I am curious on these top quilts. My main reason would be to mitigate the complete feeling of claustrophobia that one has in a sleeping bag, but I also wonder if they are much more comfortable then regular sleeping bags? Just slept outside tonight in chilly god old Sweden and it is difficullt to strech out properly. Please share any experiences from doing this switch.
    Day and night difference as far as being clostrophobic in a sleeping bag vs a top quilt. Much more freedom to move around and you dont have to worry about material getting bunched up underneath you when you toss and turn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed Nilsson View Post
    Dear all. I hadn't heard of top quilts before going into hammocking and I am curious on these top quilts. My main reason would be to mitigate the complete feeling of claustrophobia that one has in a sleeping bag, but I also wonder if they are much more comfortable then regular sleeping bags? Just slept outside tonight in chilly god old Sweden and it is difficullt to strech out properly. Please share any experiences from doing this switch.
    I love the feel of laying directly on the hammock so top quilts suit me very well. Not having the unused, extra material of the unzipped bag is nice as well. a 20 degree top quilt and 0 degree underquilt keep me nice and toasty. I've taken them down to 33 windy degrees at 11k feet sleeping in boxers and a base layer shirt and it was fabulous.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Sleeping bags can be cozy if you like sleeping on the ground. In a hammock, its not a lot of fun trying to get in and out of them zipped up, so you end up using them like a top quilt. So if your hanging, might as well get a top quilt.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    I actually switched from a sleeping bag to quilt before I started hammocking because I was looking for a lighter, more compressible, more comfortable sleeping bag for backpacking. I ended up with an EE Revelation 20º that did everything I was looking for and now use it in a hammock though if I was buying again for primarily hammock use I'd probably go with a more hammock specific quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast