Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer A-sym Zip
    Insulation
    Incubator zero deg
    Suspension
    Buckle, WS & CL

Pros with a Top quilt?

Dear all. I hadn't heard of top quilts before going into hammocking and I am curious on these top quilts. My main reason would be to mitigate the complete feeling of claustrophobia that one has in a sleeping bag, but I also wonder if they are much more comfortable then regular sleeping bags? Just slept outside tonight in chilly god old Sweden and it is difficullt to strech out properly. Please share any experiences from doing this switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed Nilsson View Post
    Dear all. I hadn't heard of top quilts before going into hammocking and I am curious on these top quilts. My main reason would be to mitigate the complete feeling of claustrophobia that one has in a sleeping bag, but I also wonder if they are much more comfortable then regular sleeping bags? Just slept outside tonight in chilly god old Sweden and it is difficullt to strech out properly. Please share any experiences from doing this switch.
    I just slept outside last night testing my DIY Climashield underquilt (excellent kit from HOGS Equipment, Manitoba, that I sewed extra-long with an added extra layer of insulation hoping for -5°C). I was also testing an Enlightened Equipment -5°C topquilt. I have a long Hennessy with a large fly that I tucked down. It was at the freezing point all night with a growing breeze bringing in a rainy few days.
    I was toasty!
    I’m 192cm/6’3” and 94kg/210lbs. I tend to sleep cool as the dawn approaches.
    I’ve switched from a 0°C down bag. The topquilt is much much less constructing and is significantly warmer.
    I’d tried this setup several nights in my garage at cooler temps approaching -5°C and was warm. I wanted to test real-life conditions with breezes.
    I can shift around with the quilts; I can sleep on my side; I don’t have to worry about sliding off the pad I had been using before quilts. I’ll not go back!
    I’m confident that I could get through a night, albeit uncomfortably, down perhaps to -10°C.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I love my Loco Libre top quilt! Very versatile, and very warm. I, too, do not like the claustrophobic feeling of mummy bags; so a top quilt was right up my alley. Even with it cinched up around my neck, there is more freedom of mobility than any mummy bag I've used.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a bit of TQ intel.
    Hope it helps.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Pros with a Top quilt?

I HATE mummy bags. TQs are just as warm as a SB assuming you combine with UQ.

I bought a zero degree earlier this year and have been very toasty down to -14 degrees. The -40 UQ didnt hurt either ?.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Pros with a Top quilt?

Should have mentioned . . . I've never felt claustrophobic in my UQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A Top quilt is much more lighter in shell material so it not as heavy as most sleeping bags. They are also a bit more delicate. You gain weight and bulk savings in that department. You will also need bottom insulation rated for your temps or lower, whether is it a pad or a bottom quilt. You can also layer different temperature rated quilts to achieve year round comfort.
    A top quilt is very roomy but needs a bit of adjustment to seal in the heat around the torso. Tossing and turning may open up air passages. Most come with an adjustable drawstring, some with bungee, to seal in around the neck. You will not have the hood of the sleeping bag so you will need some sort of head insulation. You also have choices of sewn foot boxes as well as adjustable with snaps or zippers. With a non sewn foot box, you can always open it up and use as a regular blanket, very comfortable in warmer weather. Top Quilts are a lot easier to get in and out of hammock and getting comfortable in over sleeping bags.
    For extreme cold ratings, I would recommend a sewn box.
    Last edited by electbc; 03-27-2018 at 12:49.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Camo CF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    Another theory or factor with a sleeping bag, is since the side of the bag that you sleep on is compressed, it provides no real warmth, so it's just wasted bulk and weight. With a top quilt, you use it to cover you, and your backside is open against your hammock, or pad and your underquilt keeps your backside warm from underneath.

Images
    The main reason i switched to a top quilt is because i am a side sleeper. That does not work well with a mummy bag. I use a top quilt both in a hammock and on the ground.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    From what I'm gathering here, most prefer TQs to SBs and the info herein is, as usual, great. Thanks. Have a semi-mummy SB with foot box that the fully opened zipper creates. Bought it dirt cheap when I foolishly thought I was going the tent/pad route. The battle to get it back into its "stuff sack" was frustrating to say the very least and that was at home. Serious foul, potty mouth.

Someone stated that TQs were more delicate and that's a consideration for a klutz, can someone please elaborate. From images I've seen here, TQs stuff down slightly smaller than a SB but not significantly. I'm a side sleeper and will be base camping, though with kayak gear in tow. Have a UQ coming and have no idea what to expect pack-size wise, but right now every time I look at the SB I feel it needs to go on a diet. Wasn't concerned with space until the tarp and hammock arrived and now even the yak gear may be forced to diet.

Basically what I'd like to know is the "delicacy issue." If it's easier to deal with on the re-stuff front and the comfort level for a sometimes restless side sleeper? And worth the cash outlay?

PS. Noob, obviously, starting from scratch and know that until experience takes place. kind of shooting in the dark. Prefer to make as few mistakes as possible but, from reading here, I think the SB may already be one...and since this is season, lead times for TQs is loooooong.
    Last edited by WGoff; 05-12-2018 at 11:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast