DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR

Winter tarp concept

I realize most doors on winter tarps “close” pointing either straight down, or slanted inwards some, because the hammock straps have to pass through the opening, but I’m wondering if anyone has had any success with doors that form an outwards beak similar to this?
    would be cool to have a zippered closure on the ends that also gives more livable space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Warbonnet's Mountain Fly, Thunder Fly and Mini Fly tarps are somewhat similar to this concept, especially the Thunder and Mini whose beaks can be set up pointed outwards as shown on the photos on their website:
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ategory/tarps/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The Superfly (or any other full door tarp) doors can be pulled and staked out...they even show that setup on the WB site. Mine are inward because I use shock cord and mitten hooks to the opposite side D ring to close the doors, allowing me to get away with just 4 stakes.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    What are you looking to gain?

Hammock
    Onewind 11’ w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    Onewind 12’ Silnyl
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles & St
    Not sure how much that space would qualify as “liveable” for me. I’m happy with a longer tarp overall with vertIcal doors that don’t accumulate snow, personally. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, if I want more space and it's not that windy I'll set up in porch mode.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you have snow, you can build a three-sided wall around your hammock/tarp setup. At least put up a snow barrier to block the wind from its primary direction.

In the winter, I'm more likely to run the tarp ridgeline under the tarp. It will support it more if there's a heavy snowfall and because it's snow, not rain, I'm not so concerned about water running under the tarp via the tarp ridgeline. If you are concerned about abrasion on the ridgeline, then hanging something on that under-the-tarp ridgeline will pull it down a bit so there is very little contact with the underside of the tarp.

You will have far more space under your "dry" area than you will in the confines of the tent. Sure, you have four-ish walls in a tent for wind abatement. But with a shovel and a snow saw, making/cutting snow blocks for construction is fun and helps generate heat - with the challenge of not getting too sweaty.

Old man rambling on ... So a friend and I had a yearly contest making snow shelters. We were at Crater Lake and he began constructing the classic igloo. I opted for something different - why not just build a room? Note that we always carried our own tent shelter as backup (pre-hammock days) in case something went wrong. I figured if I cut blocks down to 3 ft and put them on the surface, I'd have a 6 ft wall. I made a small room with a bed platform and a "table" for cooking. I even had some SaranWrap and sticks to make a frame so I had a window. What about the roof? There was no restriction on materials so I laid the tent poles, criss-cross, across the top of the walls, and laid my rainfly on them - anchoring it to the wall with some snow along the perimeter, above the wall. The tent poles stuck out over the edge of the wall.

When finished, my friend assessed both efforts. He pointed to his igloo and said, "This was built by a master builder from Alaska. He turned to mine, poles sticking out over the roof and such, and said, This was built by a master builder from ... New Mexico. He thought that was really funny.

As it turned out, a flaw in my design became apparent at night. Those six-foot walls meant I had a 6 ft (by 3 ft) open "door" - or rather no door. So I took the tent and hung it like a curtain at the entrance and had my own studio apartment.

Snow is fun and it's as closest I've felt to hammock comfort because while sleeping, the snow slowly contours to your body.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-20-2023 at 19:19.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    What are you looking to gain?
    I’m imagining something more akin to a storm proof vestibule area, rather than just flaps that block some wind, so a waterproof zippered opening somewhere.
    Maximum wind blocking and a place to cook in a storm without having to take down and pack the hammock and insulation to get it out of the way.

With two zipper sliders, you could run the hammock suspension through and sandwich it between them, but I’m wondering how effective that would actually keep water out.
    Would doing that be enough to act as a rain break and keep water from coming in down the hammock suspension?
    I’m starting to think that only way for it to work would be to have some kind of structural ridgeline that allows you to hang the hammock inside directly from the tarp.

Or perhaps adding a vestibule into one of the main sides would be a better solution.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY

Hammock
    Onewind 11’ w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    Onewind 12’ Silnyl
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles & St
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Yep, literally everything the OP is looking for, as far as I can see, is provided by a hammock hot tent. See this video from Smokehouse for a good example:

https://youtu.be/pw2XN1I9ChA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast