Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by micaudill View Post
    Excellent design! I've already made a standard KISS tarp, and I think it's time I try my hand at the Glasgow KISS. Looking at this corner reinforcement, it looks like there's space for a guy line pocket. What are your thoughts on guy line pockets incorporated into the reinforcement panel? It would be convenient since you could pitch it off the corners most nights, but if a storm comes in, you've got the spare lines right there to make the adjustment into storm mode. I know pockets inherently weaken the reinforcement (since your're removing the stitching used to connect the reinforcement to the body of the tarp), but do you think it would weaken it enough to cause an issue?
    I've contemplated pockets on all of my DIY tarps but haven't come up with an arrangement I like.

You could add another layer of fabric to the reinforcement patch to form the pocket, and sew it on before the patch is sewn on. Simple noseeum would work fine. I got to play with the Glasgow KISS Asym on a recent trip and really like the design.. planning to make one over the winter.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    This morning I sewed an asym in 1.1 silpoly, following this design. Hung it inside the garage just to get a feel of the coverage.. quite pleased.

I added an additional pair of points along the long side to side in pulling the sides down.

I plan to use tarp worms on the two ground corners, as I do on all of my tarps. At the ridge I usually use a single diamond knot at each end, that attaches to the RL of choice but on this tarp I need to be able to quickly switch between the ridge tie it points. I could tie a diamond knot on each of the four points, or replace the diamond knot with a biner.. I have a few Dutch tarp biners.

Before before I commit, I am curious how others are setting up this tarp, what you carry in the way of extra cordage for the storm flaps and how you attach them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    This morning I sewed an asym in 1.1 silpoly, following this design. Hung it inside the garage just to get a feel of the coverage.. quite pleased.

I added an additional pair of points along the long side to side in pulling the sides down.

I plan to use tarp worms on the two ground corners, as I do on all of my tarps. At the ridge I usually use a single diamond knot at each end, that attaches to the RL of choice but on this tarp I need to be able to quickly switch between the ridge tie it points. I could tie a diamond knot on each of the four points, or replace the diamond knot with a biner.. I have a few Dutch tarp biners.

Before before I commit, I am curious how others are setting up this tarp, what you carry in the way of extra cordage for the storm flaps and how you attach them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You ever get to use the tarp much? Got any photos?

I never did get mine out in the wild but rigged it all up for use. I always carry a few extra zing-it pieces with bowline knots pre-tied in them that would work perfectly for storm flap use.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    You ever get to use the tarp much? Got any photos?

I never did get mine out in the wild but rigged it all up for use. I always carry a few extra zing-it pieces with bowline knots pre-tied in them that would work perfectly for storm flap use.

Funny you ask... I had it pitched over this past weekend. I didn't overnight under it. I think I took a few pictures. I'll check.

I ended up with zingit/lashit diamond knots on all the tie out points except the ground points. Split ridge lines worked fine. Z-Packs 1.2mm Z-Line with Tarp Worms at the ground points and Z-Line for the flaps.

Earlier this winter I added a HammockGear Cuben Standard with Doors and a Cuben Winter Palace. The Asym will be for trips where I want to go fast and light and whether will be good.

I actually started looking into replicating it in cuben.

That cuben fiber is like crack cocaine..
    Last edited by MikekiM; 03-06-2019 at 21:35.
    Bob's brother-in-law

I'm coming to this late. I see discussion of how this simplifies Dutch's Asym tarp concept, and that you were going to have a "how to" article on Dutch's site. I can't find said "how to" and it now looks like Dutch's asym concept is very similar (two difference ridgelines available).

So, is Dutch's "wide asym tarp" kit following your design now?

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreocereus View Post
    I'm coming to this late. I see discussion of how this simplifies Dutch's Asym tarp concept, and that you were going to have a "how to" article on Dutch's site. I can't find said "how to" and it now looks like Dutch's asym concept is very similar (two difference ridgelines available).

So, is Dutch's "wide asym tarp" kit following your design now?
    Kitsapcowboy is no longer active on the forums unfortunately, and to the best of my knowledge his Dutchware asym tutorial never came to fruition. That said, Dutch's own asym tutorial here would produce a tarp with very similar functionality, albeit not identical in design.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Thanks! That’s a shame, kitsapps posts have usually come up when I’ve had ideas for a tarp and been googling to see if someone has done something similar, so although I rarely post here I’ve seen a number of their posts.

Thanks for clarifying - I saw Dutch’s asym tutorial and that was what sparked me wondering “isn’t that the same as that fellows on hammockforums” - wasn’t sure if there was some fundamental difference I was missing. Cheers.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreocereus View Post
    Thanks! That’s a shame, kitsapps posts have usually come up when I’ve had ideas for a tarp and been googling to see if someone has done something similar, so although I rarely post here I’ve seen a number of their posts.

Thanks for clarifying - I saw Dutch’s asym tutorial and that was what sparked me wondering “isn’t that the same as that fellows on hammockforums” - wasn’t sure if there was some fundamental difference I was missing. Cheers.
    He's an innovator, that's for sure. Many of my DIY builds have been inspired by his designs. Good luck with your tarp project!
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I made one a year or two ago.. maybe this will be useful.
    Asym_Page_1.jpg
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I made one a year or two ago.. maybe this will be useful.
    Asym_Page_1.jpg
    I know this has been a dormant thread for some time.

I have a question:

Your drawing seems to indicate an optional ridgeline with attachment points 18" in from the corner. That ridgeline is shown at a hair under 125". Have you made use of it? If so, how did that work out?
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-20-2022 at 17:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345