Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Cranked out another Glasgow K.I.S.S. tarp this afternoon; things get easier the second time around...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 03-30-2018 at 18:49.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Wow, really top shelf! What a gift to be able to execute your ideas so well.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Wow, really top shelf! What a gift to be able to execute your ideas so well.
    Many thanks. I definitely dig how the coyote-on-coyote color scheme worked out.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    In the field... (Photo credit: cmoulder)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Whooo, that's purdy!

It's gonna get a workout on the Allegheny Front Trail next Thu-Sun.

I rigged it up today with two separate guy lines on the ridgeline tieouts, using some Blake's hitches to adjust tension. Used some Lawson cord which IIRC is polyester sheath with spectra core. This cord has much better grip with Blakes, Prusik etc. I'm using the 1.2mm Atwood Mirco Cord everywhere else with tautline hitches for adjustment and it grips just fine in this application.

Also, for fellow gram weenies, the total weight with guy lines and stuff sack is 297.3g (10.48oz). Made of 1.1oz silpoly.

I'll have more pictures and some info re the trail experience with it when I get back.

Cowboy_Glasgow_KISS_tarp_03_SMALL.jpg

Cowboy_Glasgow_KISS_tarp_04_SMALL.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 04-08-2018 at 14:00.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    To follow up, I used my Cowboy Glasgow K.I.S.S. tarp for 4 nights on the Allegheny Front Trail, 4/11-15, and was super happy with it.

The actual hike start was 4/12, but I hate a long-ish (4hr) drive followed by a decent day of hiking, so I got to the trailhead the afternoon of 4/11 and did some scouting around to check out the trail and to look for a campsite for the evening. My hiking partners would arrive the following morning, one with a shorter drive from Lancaster, PA and 2 others from the Cleveland, OH area.

The night of 4/11 got pretty cold, about 35°F overnight, and in the evening a light rain started spritzing me (with some wet snowflakes mixed in!) around 6pm and very gradually got a bit heavier through the night. However, it was very light for the first couple of hours and my small campfire was enough to keep the moisture at bay. Wind was about 10-15mph. It rained for about 6 hrs, and it when I got up to water the vegetation a little after 1am, stars were visible.

The Glasgow K.I.S.S. tarp performed admirably and no rain got to my hammock despite the fact that I had pitched the tarp broadside to the wind. The tarp was very quick to deploy, and I figured out that the guyline for the little offset "eave" functioned perfectly simply by wrapping it around the tree to which the ridgeline is attached... no need for separate stakes.

It didn't rain for the rest of the trip, although there were some sprinkles early in the evening on 4/14 when we were camped at Rock Run, but we did not get any more rain. But there were pine needles raining down for the 2 other nights of 4/12 and 4/13 so it was still nice to have a tarp.

AFT201804.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    To follow up, I used my Cowboy Glasgow K.I.S.S. tarp for 4 nights on the Allegheny Front Trail, 4/11-15, and was super happy with it.

The actual hike start was 4/12, but I hate a long-ish (4hr) drive followed by a decent day of hiking, so I got to the trailhead the afternoon of 4/11 and did some scouting around to check out the trail and to look for a campsite for the evening. My hiking partners would arrive the following morning, one with a shorter drive from Lancaster, PA and 2 others from the Cleveland, OH area.

The night of 4/11 got pretty cold, about 35°F overnight, and in the evening a light rain started spritzing me (with some wet snowflakes mixed in!) around 6pm and very gradually got a bit heavier through the night. However, it was very light for the first couple of hours and my small campfire was enough to keep the moisture at bay. Wind was about 10-15mph. It rained for about 6 hrs, and it when I got up to water the vegetation a little after 1am, stars were visible.

The Glasgow K.I.S.S. tarp performed admirably and no rain got to my hammock despite the fact that I had pitched the tarp broadside to the wind. The tarp was very quick to deploy, and I figured out that the guyline for the little offset "eave" functioned perfectly simply by wrapping it around the tree to which the ridgeline is attached... no need for separate stakes.

It didn't rain for the rest of the trip, although there were some sprinkles early in the evening on 4/14 when we were camped at Rock Run, but we did not get any more rain. But there were pine needles raining down for the 2 other nights of 4/12 and 4/13 so it was still nice to have a tarp.
    I'm glad you had a good trip, and I am happy to hear that the tarp performed to your expectations. I've been doing the same thing with the storm flaps, just tying them out to the anchor trees... "Keep It Super Simple!"

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Kitsap and Dutch are like the Woz and Jobs of the Tarp world. Simple Genius that works.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Kitsap and Dutch are like the Woz and Jobs of the Tarp world. Simple Genius that works.
    As a Macintosh owner/user for 31 continuous years, that is high praise indeed, sir. Dutch has certainly earned that. I will use it as inspiration to keep being as creative as I can and share anything useful I find here with all of you.

Happy trails, TH.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Tried altering my BearButt today. Randomly chose 7” and it didn’t help much. Wrong angle as well.

I could still stick my toes out.

Added a second tie out at 14”. Better. Probably could have moved another 3-4”.

Have to add an additional line on both ends. Missed the ribbon on the inside of one tie out so I have to re do that one.

Have a second one to prep as well.

Really just motivates me to make one from scratch. These are junky but I’m trying to make them work for now.

Thank you for the suggestion!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast