Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total noob!!!

Total noob!!!

Howdy yall love this place I'm from Florida just moved to ATL
    And I want to hike the A.T. in a few years and I want to hang out lol I was wondering what kind of hammock I need the hennessy hammock system looks nice and I like the one stop shop for my first time any input and advice would be awsome also I was thinking a 2 layer so I can use a pad if I can't find some trees

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. I'd recommend warbonnetoutdoors.com, as well as http://simplylightdesigns.com/, and dutchwaregear.com as places to start looking for some of the best hammocks.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! I love Simply Light Designs, Dutchware, And Warbonnet. I’ll throw Dream Hammocks, Town-End Bridges, and Little Shop of Hammocks in the mix. My favorites are my towns-end bridges, Dream Hammock Sparrow, LSOH Warrior, And SLD Trail Lair! Best of luck!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    I'm a 2 year old noob. I've got a Hennessy and it has allowed me to learn about hanging, figure out some preferences, etc. I quickly found that I don't like the coverage of the stock Hennessy tarp and ended up using my 9 and 12 foot Kelty's (not the best tarp but have enabled me to learn about the world of tarps). With a couple years now under my belt, I'll soon be upgrading from the Hennessy and have pretty much locked-in on a Simply Light Designs. I've got nothing but good things to say about HH and think its a great hammock to learn about hanging. Some will stick with it forever. I'll soon be passing it on to my 14 year old to suck him into our non-ground dwelling world.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Camo CF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    Check out this link specific to Newbie Setups:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Hammock-Setups

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridaboy676 View Post
    Howdy yall love this place I'm from Florida just moved to ATL
    And I want to hike the A.T. in a few years and I want to hang out lol I was wondering what kind of hammock I need the hennessy hammock system looks nice and I like the one stop shop for my first time any input and advice would be awsome also I was thinking a 2 layer so I can use a pad if I can't find some trees
    Here are a few of my general thoughts. Keep in mind I have no stone tablets and these are opinions only:

1. Don't worry about brand so much as size, type and components. For instance, I prefer 11', gathered end, and with net and top cover that can be taken off. Most of the cottage vendors offer that and many other configurations.

2. Stay with a cottage vendor if possible in that you get a hammock made by and for avid users. Also a knowledge of what works for their customers and a willingness to share this info free. Big chain stores and mega corporations won't have much interest in you as an individual or knowledge of what really works for your body shape and planned use.

3. Pay the freight for top tier stuff the first time. If you need to sell it later it will have some value where stuff off amazon or ebay wont.

4. Study the guys like Shug and his hiking pals. There are lots of good videos by him, and others on here. You can see how the uses and styles of equipment vary from user to user.

5. Be realistic with your plans regarding weather and frequency. You won't need a zero degree quilt set for 2-3 trips in the spring and the same in the fall. But; if you plan on cold weather camping, don't try to get by with summer gear due to cost, then get discouraged and quit.

6. Wade in, don't jump in on gear. Gear is the easiest stuff in the world to overbuy and knowledge of how to use it in all situations is the hardest thing to attain. Learn as much as you can before you spend money that ends up wasted. The experienced guys on here know how to set up camps in places newbies don't. But they learned that over time. You will too.

Welcome aboard. This is so much fun, I hang/camp out in my basement and on my back deck just to hang more. But seemingly simple as it is, there is lots you can learn to make it more fun and safer. Watch some videos on site and tree selection. There are some horrible accidents due to picking unsafe trees. It isn't a high risk hobby, but it isn't for folks that have no common sense either.

Again, nice to have you aboard.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dual
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti 40, Wooki 0
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hello from the ice box of America (MN). Lots of great suggestions here. Also check out Sintax77 on youtube, as well as shugemery. Shug has a lot of great gear reviews and ideas, and Sintax is a UL guy, that would have lots of suggestions for lowering that base weight, and helping you cover more miles.

Welcome from just down the road. Hennessy is a decent system, a tad on the heavy side but well made. I used the expedition model for several years before passing it along to my daughter. If you are 5`9" or less the expedition will probably work for you. If taller than that, go with the explorer. Long term get an 11 foot hammock.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Marnoc Manatoc Hammock
    Tarp
    Marnoc Mark 1
    Insulation
    Snugpak/Marnoc
    Suspension
    PYS Tree Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I'd recommend warbonnetoutdoors.com, as well as http://simplylightdesigns.com/, and dutchwaregear.com as places to start looking for some of the best hammocks.
    How much of an opening does warbonnet have at the seem of the 2 layers?
    Is it like 2 hammocks stacked free or are they stitched together along the sides.
    "For these things your heart shall yearn
    for these things your soul shall burn
    and in the end my friend you too shall learn
    that to these things you must return"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnoc View Post
    How much of an opening does warbonnet have at the seem of the 2 layers?
    Is it like 2 hammocks stacked free or are they stitched together along the sides.
    They are stitched along the side for the most part but there's an opening along the side so you can slide a pad in if you use pads.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast