Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    underquilt_quick_pattern.jpg
    I made a costco underquilt using this pattern. Will spandex work for this design? What's the minimum length of spandex needed?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by hfmac View Post
    underquilt_quick_pattern.jpg
    I made a costco underquilt using this pattern. Will spandex work for this design? What's the minimum length of spandex needed?
    You’ll probably need a carrier fabric to square off the vector lines. I’m working on something similar this week and will let you know how it goes.

OP, I love your blog and your article on the spandex and clew suspensions.
    From my understanding, you would suggest the spandex uq suspension when weight is not an issue because it is overall easier to make, less fiddly, and cleaner to store while the clew is lighter weight and better for modular systems. Would you say the sizes of the quilt will also affect which suspension is a better fit? Specifically, I am trying to see whether making a clew on a small quilt will be overall worth the effort if the weight savings are significant enough. However, it seems the clew works best with long & wide quilts and the spandex much more forgiving.

I already purchased a snap kit thinking I will add a clew suspension to an envelope sleeping bag, but I think the spandex suspension might be a better fit for me after reading this thread and linked article. The bag is roughly a 70in by 61in blanket with vertical wall baffles. Has anyone figured out a not too labor intensive way to test out different suspensions before committing to one? I am willing to butcher this bag as long as I have a quilt I like at the end of this.

Images
    You could go either way on this one. 70" x 60" is the same size as the famous "Costco Down Throw" blankets, so if you want to, you can use the instructions from the GEMINI Underquilt verbatim. It uses a clew suspension.

I went with the spandex thinking it would be less work than the clew. Although I cannot compare, this was actually a lot of work and I needed a lot of adjustments for the sleeping bag to stay up. The clew would make adjustments easier.

My main issue was that I would measure the stretch mesh, cut, sew, and end up with a lot of extra fabric. I would then cut the extra and make a whatever seam fold (since I stopped caring) and it would cause the edges to be loose. I think my fabric choice is too stretchy.

Overall, thank you OP for this great idea. If I end up tweaking this with more success I will provide an update. I slept in this last night next to open window, and most of he quilt was very warm. I definitely think it's the best idea for underquilt if my crafting skills were higher.

Sent from my PACM00 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Yoga pants for hammocks???
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    DIY 11' with bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY 11'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Hi

I'm working on a spandex triangle fan cap ends for my homemade (and already sewn) climashiled + 10D fabric UQ, following tutorial from Leiavoia (thanks to him for sharing)
    http://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/sp...nderquilt.html
    I'm just wondering if I should cut it so it would be stretched when installed (and then how stretched should it be - 10% / 25%...), or should I make it so the total length is the same as the hammock (11'), and it would stretch only when I'm inside.

Sorry if it has already been said but my english is no so well and I haven't found anything about that specific topic in the posts.

[edit]

By the way, I'm also wondering if I should cut it circular as said or more in a cat-cut. Circular would put more tension on the sides so it should turn into a nice taco, but isn't it too much?

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456