Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    This sounds like an interesting idea for a gathered end hammock. Has anybody thought about the use of spandex with bridge hammocks or is that just silly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambop View Post
    I have a CDT that I have seam ripped, put in the faux baffles and double stuffed. Now I'm looking for the best suspension for it. I have some nylon and shock cord at home and am intrigued with this idea. Is it attached to your hammock with the shock cord? Did you use Jellyfish's measurement of 87.5% of the hammock length?
    I'm also very late to this conversation and you did what I'm planning to do. I have two CDT on the way and I plan to seam rip them, add more down fill and put in faux baffles. What did you end up doing for the suspension?

I haven’t hung it yet. I’m thinking of using clews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time to revise my shock-cord PLUQ...

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I think what hutzelbein is trying to explain is the biased lay of the Wooki. The carrier fabric on the Wooki is the full width of the hammock, even though the warming area is a narrower area on a diagonal inside.

A regular rectangular quilt will tend to slip under the head and feet if it is a "normal" width (~44-50") and doesn't have any additional doohickies to keep it pinned at the sides.

I have noticed with both clew and spandex suspensions that wide is definitely better. 60" wide costco quilts would be nutsy on a regular suspension. But with clew or spandex, it becomes quite nice.

I'm one of those people that thrash a lot, so the Wooki actually wouldn't work well for me. I need something with more coverage, so a crazy 60" rectangular quilt actually serves me better.
    I have a CDT I have seam ripped - I'll double stuff with an extra 3 ounces of down and I was debating faux baffles. However, faux baffles would reduce the width to something less than 50 inches. I was wondering how the stretch mesh would work with the shape that faux baffles cause to the UQ. But, it seems like probably not worth adding the faux baffles if using a CDT and stretch mesh?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhitter View Post
    I have a CDT I have seam ripped - I'll double stuff with an extra 3 ounces of down and I was debating faux baffles. However, faux baffles would reduce the width to something less than 50 inches. I was wondering how the stretch mesh would work with the shape that faux baffles cause to the UQ. But, it seems like probably not worth adding the faux baffles if using a CDT and stretch mesh?
    You can use faux baffles with either stretch mesh or clew suspensions just fine. If you do that, do the baffling first, then suspension.

There are limits to what a single CDT can do, though. Two blankets working together in layers will work better than faux baffles.

Thank you, here is the completed (still need to figure out how I want to attach it to the hammock. Using way to much heavy cord right now because it's what I had. Also need to add a loop/hook onto my hammock near the foot end because it kept sliding away in the night and leaving my feet exposed.

Costco underquilt.jpg
    IMG_20200719_132639.jpg

Couple thoughts after using it for the past couple of weeks (I have been sleeping in it pretty much every night. Note this pretty much only applies to the CDT). I am 6 foot and 185 pounds as reference for the following observations,

1. I think I have too much stretch mesh. I don't think it takes as much. I'll try something less. Maybe a 12 inch stretch panel and see how that feels.
    2. Sewn threw construction is a major weakness. To prevent CBS I need some amount of pressure on the CDT to cause the stretch mesh to actually stretch. That pressure caused the sewn through to be super obvious. It was super fiddly to get it exactly right and pulled up against me.
    3. I added a bunch of faux baffles, this reduced the width of the quilt to 43 inches. This almost works, but it is too narrow to be perfectly comfortable (like the 60 inch width was). It did make the under-quilt a lot better at dealing with wind and a lot less fiddly to set-up.
    4. 1 inch convex edge in the stretch mesh, didn't work for me to fix floppy edges. 2 inches might, but I have a feeling that 3 inches would work better. The edges are pretty loose. So far I have just folded the stretch mesh and pinned it in place.
    Last edited by Rhitter; 08-10-2020 at 12:46.

Images
    I like the way it turned out, though. Its got a really classy look to it. Kind of a fighter-jet vibe. Who else is going to have one like that? ;-)

I know you already faux-baffled it, but you can stack another blanket inside the stretchy quilt to beat the sewn-through issue. You just need to put enough slack on the stretchy quilt to not smash the inside blanket flat.

Oh, yeah. I threw the second CDT in and was shocked by the amount of heat it generated. It felt like there was a heater on my back. I couldn't get comfortable because it was so hot. I didn't think it would make that much difference. But it took a slightly too cold under-quilt to unbelievably hot. Trying to figure out a lighter / easier to carry single layer option next.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast