Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch

Questions on Ozark Highland Trail for 3-night trek

I am planning a trek for my 3 oldest and me, along with a few friends. These are all fairly hardy outdoors people, but not extremely experienced with backpacking. We are planning a 3 night trek over Memorial Day weekend, and I am looking for recommendations on starting and stop points. The thing that adds a wrinkle to it is that one of our number will need to join us the 2nd night due to another engagement he has.

Our plan is to arrive on night 1 and just camp. Then we will hike day 2-4, hopefully ending fairly early in the day on the fourth day to give us time to get home (2 hour drive) since most of us will have to work the next day (lucky kids!).

Thanks for the help!

JB

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Following this thread. I’m interested to here what recommendations are given...

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    You didn’t specify mileage goals, so I’m going to assume modest daily goals. The challenge your group will have is your late arriver having a trailhead access point that intersects with your group’s route.

My suggestion is starting at the Cherry Bend trailhead on highway 23 and hiking west-east. For your first night after you arrive there is a nice little camping area just off the highway. After crossing the highway, go to the trailhead sign and turn left (west). About 1/8 of a mile there is a rock house shelter where you can camp for the night. There is no water source, so make sure you y’all have enough. The next day head back eastbound toward Lick Branch trailhead, a little over 19 miles.

Your late arriver can meet you at Hare Mountain trailhead at Morgan Fields, which is on FR 1504, also known as Fly Gap Road. It is off Hwy 23 also, and about 7 trail miles from the Cherry Bend trailhead.

This is a pretty section with plenty of water sources and bail-out areas if necessary, and some great campsites.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Sorry for the omission. Yes, mileage goals are moderate. I was wanting something 20-25 miles, depending on terrain. That sounds like a really good suggestion.

• + New Posts