Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

robic 1.2 hammock

Hi guys !

Im 238 pounds and I want to know if I will push to the limit a a robic 1.2 single layer? Max load capacity is 250 according to ripstop by the roll. They told me that it depends of the method I will use to make this hammock.

I want to stitch my gathered ends, maybe 3 or 4 stitches, should be enough ?

Any suggestions ?

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A whipped end may be the safest imo. Some will do a small channel - enough to pass a zip-tie or cord through to “gather” your end easily. Then larks head your continuous loop around that. I believe X-Trekker has a video with this method. That way there’s not actual stitch lines to compromise the fabric. Alternatively I would use a long stitch length. But the first method would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So much to explore, so little time!

Hogshop.ca

I did some 1.6 whipped end with zip tie, but I dont like it... Its... Ugly �� but yes its stronger.

So stitching it is not reslly a good idea

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I'm 230lbs, haven't used it a ton but I do a sewn end channel on mine.

In my medium bridge (way more stress) I did see enough seam elongation and signs of potential problems to not use 1.2 at my weight in that application.

Whipped is safe, and if you whip it up a bit long you could always sew it later.

If you're not confident in your ability to put in three clean, evenly spaced @ 1/4" apart rows then I would not sew.

I think it's worth a try, I prefer them a bit soft and find Hybrid 1.2 very comfy as a result. I don't dislike the Hybrid 1.7, but it is a bit firm for my taste at my weight.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I concur with HOGShip. I would only use a whipped end on a 1.2 ROBIC if I weight 238, given its advertised 250 rating. 1.2 ROBIC is very strong stuff and offers quite a firm, comfortable lay in a lightweight breathable fabric; I love the hammock I made from it, but I weigh 175 pounds. If you insist on trying sewn end channels, I suggest strongly that you consider using the full length of a 4-yard run with no trimming to make it 11 foot hammock with triple-stitched double-layer end channels. And it may still eventually blow out on you.

I think a smarter move would be to simply move up to the midweight 1.6 ROBIC with nearly double the load capacity, which will let you build a hammock that virtually no one ever has to worry about using or wearing out. Yes, it will cost you an ounce and a half, but the peace of mind gained and not having to end your back country trip early make that a good trade-off.

That said, HYOH. Let us know how it works out (or doesn't).
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

I just finished making a 1.2 hammock and spent some time looking at the different options for finishing it. I went with the warbonnet style, probably partially because that's what I currently have. Eyed up doing a channel with CL, but after you touch the fabric I don't think you'd still consider it. I didn't, and I'm a fair bit lighter.

I also haven't hung it yet, so take this with a grain of salt. I do think the peace of mind is worth it, and it still looks kind of like a channel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Thanks Noldor for asking this questions, I was considering 1.2 Robic also. I am about the same weight but really like a firm hammock. Everyone really helped and I can cross that idea off my list. I did do some searching, but does any one have handy a good video on "Warbonnet style whipping"? I have built 5 hammocks so far (3 as Christmas presents), but I used a sewn end channel, but I would really like to whip the ends properly. I kind of want to pull out the ends and experiment with these hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I did do some searching, but does any one have handy a good video on "Warbonnet style whipping"? I have built 5 hammocks so far (3 as Christmas presents), but I used a sewn end channel, but I would really like to whip the ends properly. I kind of want to pull out the ends and experiment with these hammocks.
    There's a sticky in the DIY sticky subforum with knotty's how to do a gathered end, he has a YouTube video with it.

Basically you run a line through the channel, wrap it around the outside once to make a ball at the end, pull it all tight and tie it off. Then larkshead your suspension on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Thanks Wisscy! It sounds like something I can do without screwing it up. Thanks again!

Thank you guys, I will play safe and go for a stronger fabric, I dont like firm fabric so I guess I will continu with hexon 1.6 or hyper-D 1.6

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast