Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5

WWYD with this Amazing Sleeping Bag Deal

Some advice is needed for my situation.

I found a great deal on a sleeping bag on Amazon, and I'm not sure if it is right for me (for several reasons).

The bag in question is a Backcountry Bed bag by Sierra Design. I found a deal for a 600 fill (2 season) Dri-Down bag, for only 137 dollars. The caveat is that the cheap version was the long version. The normal length bag was just over 200 dollars. I ordered this thinking that the length wouldn't be much of a problem, but now I am not so sure.

My height is 5'6". The bag is much more than I need. I have no chance of poking my feet outside through a convenient flap on the foot-box. Also, the larger bag is more weight and volume to carry. I'm not an ultra gram weenie, but every one does add up. Also, I am worried about large dead pockets of air, that they might create cold spots on exceptionally cold nights.

Sure, I can probably double over the extra foot flap, and get a little additional insulation below my feet. But, I just received the bag recently and am still in the refund and exchange period.

What Would You Do?

Would you pony up the extra 70 bucks and get a properly sized bag, or would you enjoy making a great deal work?
    Or, Would you suggest a different bag completely? I do imagine that the bed and comforter style would be easy to use in a hammock.

As for how I enjoy the Backcountry Bed ...... I've slept on it one night. It felt like heaven with my Nemo Insulated Cosmo and Pillowtop beneath me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Looks like a nice bag, but kinda heavy too. It would certainly work, but for just a bit more, you could get a UGQ Bandit, which is a great quilt.

I assume “2 season” means 40° comfort rating. For $165 you could get an 800fp 40° 50”x66” in the basic configuration and it would weigh 12.24 oz.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    For $165 you could get an 800fp 40° 50”x66” in the basic configuration and it would weigh 12.24 oz.
    Can you show me where you find that bag?
    I'm assuming that you're talking about a normal mummy bag. I'm not against getting a normal bag, but I also think the bed style could be easier to use in a hammock. I have no experience with this, so it's assumption.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    I would also like to add, that I am not looking for this bag to be my complete sleep system. I have a number of liners, quilts and bivies to help with lower temperature.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    The bag also lists itself at a comfortable temperature of 37 degrees, and a Limit temperature of 27 degrees.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/bandit/

It is a traditional topquilt. It requires an underquilt or a pad, but’s a proven system for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    That's a nice UQ, but the 72 inch would be needed, since the smaller is just up to 5'3". I don't think that I am going for an UQ solution, because I also intend to do some ground camping. I appreciate the suggestion.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    That's true, so it would be $175. You are compressing the insulation under you whether you're in a hammock or on the ground. The idea of a topquilt is to remove that material to save money and weight and to make it easier to get in and out of.

Even if you plan on going to ground sometimes, the topquilt is still a very popular choice because the pad is what insulates you, not the insulation that's compressed under you in a bag design. Likewise, you can take a pad with you in a hammock instead of an underquilt. This would allow you to have top and bottom insulation covered in both situations. Double layer hammocks are nicer to use with pads because you can sandwich the pad between the hammock layers, so it stays put and feels nicer having that fabric between you and the pad.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got the EMS simmer down 25* bag (long) for $120 a couple years ago. I think it’s 750 fill. It’s rather heavy (40 oz?), and I’m good with my quilts now.

I’m not sure if I used a 20% off coupon on that one or not, but it’s a fantastic sleeping bag. Silky smooth and plenty warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Maybe I should actually answer your questions. Lol!

Ok, I kept my sleeping bag because I knew I could have ground-dwellers hiking with me that don’t have good gear yet. I don’t mind investing in my hobby, having flexible options, etc.

5-10 years ago, when I wasn’t in this financial position or interest level, I would’ve returned it for quilts. I really don’t use that bag very often, it just hangs in my basement.

I would suggest considering your investment in the hobby, potential hiking/camping partners, and financial status. Probably in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast