WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system

Sparrow or Darien??

I can't seem to find a comparison between the Sparrow and Darien. I see the obvious differences being the better dual zipper and removable bugnet, zipper hoods and price, on the Sparrow. But, is there any difference in the way they are cut/sewn? For instance, if you choose asym right, would the lay feel the same in both hammocks? Is the "view" any better in one? And is the approximate 9 oz weight difference in the hoods and zippers?

I've been wanting to try a DH for a while now. It's just tough choosing which one. I definitely want the asym right lay. Once I get this figured out, I'll have to decide between regular or XL width. I'm 5' 11" 195.....and have a WB XLC right now, that I really like. But, i like trying new gear, too.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I believe they are cut a bit differently, because the Darien has a specific head end, whereas the Sparrow does not. I don't know how that affects the lay though.

Here's a link to the "compare models" section on their website.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/compare_hammocks.html

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I believe they are cut a bit differently, because the Darien has a specific head end, whereas the Sparrow does not. I don't know how that affects the lay though.

Here's a link to the "compare models" section on their website.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/compare_hammocks.html

Thank you. I saw that comparison chart. I was just curious as to whether anyone had hands on experience with both.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I have no hands on experience, but I did a bit of research before recently ordering a Sparrow. The dedicated head end is simply referring to the fact that there is only one zipper pull, so you really need to lay with your head nearest to that zipper pull so you don't have to reach all the way down to below your feet to get out or to zip up when getting in. The asymmetrical models have the same hammock body, only the top net or fabric portion is cut differently from a symmetrical model. If you are going wide or symmetrical, the tie outs are recommended.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I have no hands on experience, but I did a bit of research before recently ordering a Sparrow. The dedicated head end is simply referring to the fact that there is only one zipper pull, so you really need to lay with your head nearest to that zipper pull so you don't have to reach all the way down to below your feet to get out or to zip up when getting in. The asymmetrical models have the same hammock body, only the top net or fabric portion is cut differently from a symmetrical model. If you are going wide or symmetrical, the tie outs are recommended.
    That's interesting, because on the Darien page it says it now comes with zippers that meet in the middle on one side. I wonder if this does away with the whole "head end" thing now. Perhaps the Smurfs can clarify.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Sparrow or Darien??

Oh, I think I get it now! That’s because the Darien is a symmetrical hammock that can only be exited from one side. Some folks like the zipper on the foot side for easier getting in and out because you don’t need to swing your legs over the calf ridge and some would rather have the zipper on the head side so that the zippers are closer to reach. Combine that with the symmetrical cut of the top net/cover and you lose the option to rotate your lay (unless you don’t mind the zipper being on the opposite side when this happens).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    That's interesting, because on the Darien page it says it now comes with zippers that meet in the middle on one side. I wonder if this does away with the whole "head end" thing now. Perhaps the Smurfs can clarify.
    The Darien does have a full length zipper on one side with 2 "facing" zipper sliders. The sliders zip toward one another and can be positioned anywhere along the side.

You can lay with your head at either end depending on which side you prefer the zipper to be on. The Ultimate Hang had an article that discussed this very topic a while ago that might provide more info. https://theultimatehang.com/2014/03/...location-spin/

Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Randy

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    The Darien does have a full length zipper on one side with 2 "facing" zipper sliders. The sliders zip toward one another and can be positioned anywhere along the side.

You can lay with your head at either end depending on which side you prefer the zipper to be on. The Ultimate Hang had an article that discussed this very topic a while ago that might provide more info. https://theultimatehang.com/2014/03/...location-spin/

Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Randy
    Thanks for the clarification! So the Darien really doesn't have a dedicated head end- unless the user requires the zippers to always be on the same side of their body.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks for the clarification! So the Darien really doesn't have a dedicated head end- unless the user requires the zippers to always be on the same side of their body.
    Yes, or you add things like pockets on one end. Otherwise it really doesn't matter which end you claim as the head end. I myself like to sit in the hammock and lay straight back in a right lay position, keeping the zipper on my right side.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Yes, or you add things like pockets on one end. Otherwise it really doesn't matter which end you claim as the head end. I myself like to sit in the hammock and lay straight back in a right lay position, keeping the zipper on my right side.
    Makes sense. That is also how I prefer to lay. Don't have to swivel my body around. Just lay back and lift the feet in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast