Few Random Question to finish my kit

Background: From IL, 6'2 300 pounds. lowest i will camp in is 40 degrees overnight, and its rare. Been hanging in an 11' DIY Double layer Gathered end with a Fronkey bugnet when needed (never camped outside of high summer temperatures in a hammock).

Looking to add a Full Underquilt and a top quilt of some type that will allow me to get into the 50's and maybe 40's.

1. I'm torn between an RSBTR UQ Kit with 3.6 or 5 oz of Climashield (75$+shipping), or OneTigris Hammock Underquilt (61 shipped), or something else..open to recommendations. Looking to keep the UQ under 75$ if possible. Would prefer to order rather than make if the prices and specs are near the same. (OPEN TO BUYING USED IF SOMEONE IS SELLING!)

2. How does using some of the new XL ripstop from RSBTR affect the lay vs. the standard length? is there any downfalls if I was to remake my hammock with the wider material you can think of? I feel like the wider material would allow me to be more comfortable.

3. When dealing with Top quilts vs Sleeping bags vs woobies, etc... I was thinking about using A snugPack Jungle Blanket for simple warmth. any ideas for a simple low-cost option? (military woobie? Make my own with climashield in?)

4. What is the rule of thumb for Tarp Sizing? would something like 12' work correctly for by 11' footer...when dealing with rain etc...? something like... https://www.amazon.com/Outdoors-Wate...s=hammock+tarp

Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by phil823; 03-22-2018 at 10:13.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Greetings from a fellow Illini! If your choice is between the RSBTR Climashield UQ kit or the OneTigris, go with the RSBTR kit! The OneTigris is not what most folks would consider to be even a decent underquilt. The shape of it does not make it conducive to achieving a diagonal lay. So your level of comfort will suffer terribly. And it is not a good deal at all if you consider warmth/weight ratio. I personally would opt for the 5oz Climashield, as it will give you more of a buffer with temperatures. Plus, you may (and probably will) discover that you want to start camping in cooler temps. With the right gear, I've found cool/cold weather camping is very enjoyable! And if you do decide to camp in cooler temps, you won't need to purchase another quilt.

The flipside is, of course, if you're into ultralight backpacking. The 5oz CS will weigh a little more. If you're willing to shell out slightly more money, I would recommend Arrowhead Equipment's Kick A** Quilts. They are very well-tested and reviewed. Much higher quality than any quilt you will find on Amazon, and you wouldn't have to make it.

As for a top quilt, the Jungle Blanket is ok, but has its limitations. The great thing about an actual top quilt is the footbox. If you're fine with DIY, you can get a couple Costco Down Throws and make a decent top quilt out of them for little money. The woobie can also work, but is a bit heavy. Making a TQ out of Climashield would also be a pretty easy project, and would likely give you the best results for a small investment.

If you're using an 11' hammock, both an 11' or 12' tarp will work. It just depends on weight, and how much additional coverage you want. The tarp you linked to would work, albeit a heavier option. I'd recommend spending a little more on your tarp, and going with silpoly. It's extremely light, packs down very small, and works great. UGQ has their Penny Pincher tarps for a good price. I'd also recommend the Quest Tarp from Hammock Gear.

Good luck with your choices!
    Last edited by rweb82; 03-22-2018 at 11:16.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Addressing your 1 and 3 for now:

IMHO, the 5 oz CS is way overkill for a 40* quilt. I made the 5 oz from RSBTR to get to sub-freezing. It works great for that. But above freezing, I don’t carry it - too bulky. I much prefer the MMG Shamu for that (uses 2.5 oz CS). Unless you’re just an incredibly cold sleeper, the 3.6 will be more than sufficient.

On the TQ, I don’t have personal experience with the SPJB, but I do have their UQ. If the JB is made anything like the UQ, I bet it will work great for you at those temps - probably even lower if you’re wearing the right clothes as well.

thanks for the input! i actually found a sweat deal on a snugpack Upperquilt and got it for the same price as the blanket!

also im going to go with the RSBTR 3.6Oz at this time.

I have been thinking hard about silpoly tarps thanks for the post to the UGQ penny pincher i will wait and save a bit and see what i can find!

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I want to tackle number 4.

I made a very nice winter tarp 12' ridge and 10' wide with doors. I didn't like how high I had to hang it. My 11' hammock has about a 9 foot structural ridge so an 11' tarp worked much better for me. I made it 11' ridge and 10' wide. I also added a tie out every 20" with a beastie D so I can move the Easton Nano lite poles anywhere I need to for a multitude of setups.

IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0091.jpg

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I want to tackle number 4.

I made a very nice winter tarp 12' ridge and 10' wide with doors. I didn't like how high I had to hang it. My 11' hammock has about a 9 foot structural ridge so an 11' tarp worked much better for me. I made it 11' ridge and 10' wide. I also added a tie out every 20" with a beastie D so I can move the Easton Nano lite poles anywhere I need to for a multitude of setups.

IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0091.jpg
    I had the same experience. My first tarp was a 12’ tarp with doors and my 11’ hammock has to be hung too far below the tarp for my liking. My newest tarp is 11’ and works much better.

• + New Posts