Are fabric weight ratings tied to a specific width?

Here's a question I haven't been able to find the answer to: the weight ratings listed for fabrics on RSBTR and other places, are those for a certain width of fabric?

I'm asking because I want to make a little UL seat (basically in the shape of a swingset swing, with tiny spreaders) for when I don't have my hammock with me. It will be around 8 inches in width. If I used, say, 1.6 hyperD, would it still have a weight rating of 300lb? Or does narrowing the fabric to much smaller than the width of a hammock compromise that?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    i figure 2/3rds the rating (roughly) for bridge hammocks. This seems 'close enough' to that application to apply.

On the plus side... with such small item bumping up fabric weight won't hurt you much on the scale.

I would at minimum use the Hybrid 1.7 over the 1.6. It handles load significantly better in bridges.... probably would help here too.

PS- Welcome to the forums!

Thank you! That's helpful. I guess I'll have to do some testing on my own, which could be tricky... 8x40" of fabric won't support a lot of items at once.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also critical is the angle of the suspension, same as with full-sized hammocks.

Hanging at 30° would provide 100% of rated strength whereas 5° would increase stress enormously and decrease rated strength to only a fraction.

Suspension hangle calculator
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I was actually thinking about that calculator... I could use hang angle as a proxy for weight. Basically, for safety I want it to be able to support more than my 150 pounds. So rather than trying to sit on it while holding 50 lbs, I could just shrink the hang angle and then sit... still not as good a test as being able to pile a bunch of weight into a hammock and leave it overnight, but better than nothing.

• + New Posts