Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I also recommend the superfeet insoles I use the green ones. The stock ones that come with trail runners get as thin as paper for me but I've found the superfeet last as long as the trail runners do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Wondering how people like to hang their Cuben Fiber Tarp. Do people use a CRL and Prussics, or just long tie outs on either side? Do you like to have some amount of shock cord between the stakes and tie-outs to hold the tarp tight? What length do you like on either side? (I usually have one side’s tie-outs much shorter than the other for porch mode)

I’ll be weighing my things for a lighterpack page later today. Thanks for the help folks!
    I haven't done any backpacking, but can help a bit with cord length.

It's been said that cuben fiber tarps do not require shock cord since the tarp doesn't stretch.

I have 12-15' of 1.8mm spyderline cord on each side for the ridgeline. Lately, I've been considering Dutch Wasps or Flyz for each side. With my silnylon tarp, I also use shock cord on the ridgeline.

6x 1.25mm zpacks guylines are 4' with shock cord as well. I carry 2x 6' 1.25mm guyline extensions for porch mode. Bowline hitch knots are used at nearly all cord-ends to make quick work of attaching them to each other or to the tarp.

Here's a link to my shock cord method that I learned from other users. One can always keep it simple; though, I was merely exercising my mind..

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-Tensioners

By the way, I also use MountainGoat mesh tarp sleeves. However, I only use half of it since I don't need to wrap the entire tarp.

Best of luck with your hike!!

I’m sure you’ve gotten great advice thus far, but figured I’d throw in my 2 cents anyway.

Whatever shoes you decide on, make sure you leave a little room for the swelling you may experience, as well as for a pair of inserts. While I personally prefer ventilators, if I were going to be hitting a heavily rocked area, I’d swap to a mid-top hiking boot since I could get a harder sole and they’d provide me with some ankle support. If you slow down on the rocks, then you can probably get away without the ankle support, but I hike fast, so the ankle support is something I’d prefer on that section. I’m not a one-shoe-fits-all-terrain believer. Love my ventilators, but I ain’t hitting rocks with them, nor the sugar sand found in FL.

Base weight...just carry what’s comfortable for you. I’d take base weight advice with a grain of salt if I were you. Cracks me up when people brag about a 10lb base weight and then I see them humping an 80L pack. I seam to have a problem getting below 20lb. It’s not due to hiking with the kitchen sink, but rather a money issue...lightweight gear costs more. I’m currently experimenting with a new way to lug my gear and disperse the weight more evenly on my body. This is a necessity for me due to a bad back and right arm (shoulder and elbow). It’s either I come up with an alternative way to carry my gear or I no longer hike, so I’m trying whatever I can.

Anyhow, hope all goes well for you during the hike.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any of you guys that do note long distance hiking with a hammock - can you post your equipment list? Curious to see how you get there. I'm running around 18 pounds but I'm sure there's room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    Any of you guys that do note long distance hiking with a hammock - can you post your equipment list? Curious to see how you get there. I'm running around 18 pounds but I'm sure there's room to improve.
    Here’s a write up from last year’s hike.
    If you check the long distance sub forum at hammockforums you’ll find a few more good breakdowns also

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...trail-hammock/

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Here’s a write up from last year’s hike.
    If you check the long distance sub forum at hammockforums you’ll find a few more good breakdowns also

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...trail-hammock/

How have I overlooked this forum for 9 months?
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345