Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Two Speed- have a safe and enjoyable hike.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Wondering how people like to hang their Cuben Fiber Tarp. Do people use a CRL and Prussics, or just long tie outs on either side? Do you like to have some amount of shock cord between the stakes and tie-outs to hold the tarp tight? What length do you like on either side? (I usually have one side’s tie-outs much shorter than the other for porch mode)

I’ll be weighing my things for a lighterpack page later today. Thanks for the help folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Does anyone have an opinion on stoves? I’m planning on starting with a cheapo amazon self-igniting Stove but wonder if people appreciate the upgrades to fancier ones. I just like the auto ignition feature, but see that my stove might not be very efficient, plus my REI dividend came in.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Two Speed- have a safe and enjoyable hike.
    Thanks! Happy Trails to you as well.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Wondering how people like to hang their Cuben Fiber Tarp. Do people use a CRL and Prussics, or just long tie outs on either side? Do you like to have some amount of shock cord between the stakes and tie-outs to hold the tarp tight? What length do you like on either side? (I usually have one side’s tie-outs much shorter than the other for porch mode)

I’ll be weighing my things for a lighterpack page later today. Thanks for the help folks!

I use end only tieouts with dutch wasps on both ends for the ridgeline. You can also do this and just tie a tautline hitch on each side after going around the tree but the wasps are so easy to use and are marginal weigh addition. I do use line tensioners made of shock cord. I like making them like in the ultimate hang where you double the shock cord over and make one knot in it. I tried the way shug makes his on the video and they dont seem to work for me. I used 6-8' line on each corner. If I had a short side and a long side I'd never remember which was which. I also carry some extra line for using the side pullouts in windy areas. I wrote a short article about how I rig my hammock gear tarp with doors. It has all the details in it. This is the way I normally do it but there are many many more ways.

https://thetrek.co/hammock-gear-tarp-rigging/

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Does anyone have an opinion on stoves? I’m planning on starting with a cheapo amazon self-igniting Stove but wonder if people appreciate the upgrades to fancier ones. I just like the auto ignition feature, but see that my stove might not be very efficient, plus my REI dividend came in.

I took Shug's advice on this and used a fancee feast alcohol stove until I sent it home in Maine. It worked great. I think mine was $20 plus shipping. I never had a need for a super fancee stove but I'd get the lightest one they have. You can also make your own. I am sure there are several threads on here discussing this in extreme detail.

I've done a lot of miles on the AT with a hammock. What works for me might work for you (or not)

1) The best way to keep pack weight down is not by spending money on ultralight stuff, it's by not carrying the unneeded stuff to begin with :-) I've never felt a need for a pillow in a hammock but if need be, I use a jacket or my extra clothes bag.

2) I use the split Mountain Goat skins for my Hammock Gear CF tarp with doors. Works great being able to secure half down in the wind rather than having the whole thing flap around. If you want to try a cheap alternative, buy a couple of loofahs at Walmart. Cut the collecting cord in the middle and you have a 12 foot long mesh tube. Not very durable but you can play with full versus split skins for less than $5.

3) I tried Altra Lone Peaks but they were too tough on my Achilles after a hundred miles or so of walking everyday. YMMV

4) Obviously Ramen is a mainstay for many. Adding jerky or the various foil meat packets and Peanut Butter Powder makes it much better. I only cook for dinner so MetRX Big bars, RX Bars. Fritos, bean dip, etc. take care of the day. Cravings solved the rest. I do drink coffee in the morning and the Trader Joe coffee, creamer and sugar all in one packet work good (not a Starbucks fan so Via is out) Light enough that you can carry multiple weeks for almost no weight.

5) Every part of the trails has something to offer, Make sure to pick your head up and enjoy it (a challenge in some sections in PA.....)

6) My base weight without food, fuel or water is 14 pounds for April - September. Includes 20 degree TQ and UQ.

Have fun, you'll learn more after your first period of hiking multiple days in the rain.........just sayin.
    Last edited by Odiedog; 03-23-2018 at 13:51.

Similar to two speed I used the tie outs, but with Dutch stingerz instead of wasps.

As far as stoves; whatever works. There isn’t a huge difference.

I used the original pocket rocket.
    I saw lots of people using the cheap BRS stove and for the most part people liked it.
    You may get someone in here talking about BTUs and such but for the most part all the light and small stoves are similar.

Be aware that the self igniter may very likely fail before you finisher your hike. No biggie, just keep a mini bic in your kit

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I would be happy to answer any other questions you have but my response may take a while since im headed out the PCT this weekend.

Happy hanging and happy trails.
    Good luck! How can we follow along?

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaker View Post
    Good luck! How can we follow along?
    I have a post on here called two speed goes PCTing, the link in my profile goes to my YouTube which has links to Instagram and Facebook I'm sure there will be tons of updates. Apologies for any thread high jacking OP.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast