Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A basic outline of my own list

ULA Circuit (awesome)
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC (awesome)
    Top quilts by Mid Atlantic Mountain Works (awesome)
    UQs by Loco Libre fear (awesome)
    Cuben hex tarp from hammock gear (awesome)

Two sets of clothes
    One hiking one sleep/town
    I got 50% off of Patagonia stuff so that drove a lot of my decisions but I’m also a patagucci fan so, bonus

Exofficio sport mesh boxer briefs FOR LIFE
    Outdoor Research Helium rain jacket...kinda sucks but it keeps you warm (not many backpacking rain jackets will keep you dry) and it’s light. Very common on trail

Darn tough socks

Patagonia thermal weight hoodie and leggings. Awesome pieces of gear. The hoodie is lighter and more compressible than a fleece but not as warm. Breathes well so you hopefully won’t be a sweaty mess when you climb. The hood was perfect for me.

Patagonia UL puffy - awesome. An ounce or two heavier than the Ghost Whisperer but also covers your butt.

You know, this post will be me up being longer than it should be. I’m going to add some links to my Gear stuff and you’re welcome to check em out.

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...trail-hammock/

https://youtu.be/Yj2bLKs1vtk

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I haven't been on the AT (yet), but several shorter ones. I can't offer help in every area but maybe this will help.

Concerning issue #1- if you are taking a vest/jacket anyway, it can serve well and being a multiuse item it cuts weight. Having said that, my go to pillow (after owning dozens) is the one from Simply Light Designs. Cheap and functions perfectly. I never travel without mine.

Concerning issue #3- I use Altra Olympus 2's and Hoka Stinson ATR's, no issues at all. My max mileage is usually 18 miles with 10 being a minimum per day.

Concerning issue #6- My summer weight is usually between 12-14lbs, and my winter weights are usually 18-24. I know it's a wide range, but maybe will give you an idea.

Hope some of that helps! Best of luck, and enjoy the journey!
    Hey Pep, could you elaborate a bit on the differences between the stinsons and the Olympus? I tried on a pair the other day and I’m not sure how I feel about them, but the new Altras are a bit smaller than the old ones and finding a size 14 was already hard enough!

Lone Peak vs Olympus

I can't comment on the Hokas but I do have experience with the previous versions of Altras. In 2016, I hiked the PCT. I did the first 700 or so miles in Altra Lone Peaks and after developing plantar fasciitis, switched out the regular footbed for the thickest Sole brand one that I could find at REI and started stretching the bottoms of my feet multiple times a day. One or both of those things solved my plantar fasciitis problem. Then maybe at mile 800, switched to the Altra Olympus (and kept using the same Sole footbed). Wow, what a difference! So much more cushiony comfort. And the Vibram sole is way more grippy than the Lone Peak sole.

If you go for an Altra shoe, definitely swap out the footbed that comes with it. Buy a footbed that comes close to matching the width of the included footbed. You'll have to cut like an inch off the length but the new footbed won't have an annoying gap beside your toes. No one seems to make footbeds wide enough for wide shoes.

And if you're planning on starting with a taller shoe like the Olympus, I highly recommend doing a lot of practice hiking on uneven surfaces. Until you develop the ankle strength and a technique for walking on uneven surfaces, it's much easier to roll an ankle.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’m lucky enough to be getting the Speedgoats and the Lone Peaks free from each company b/c I work at a running shoe store and essentially begged their reps for them. I own a patagonia R1 hoody, a smartwool top and bottom, and a patagucci nano puff jacket, so I’m definitely debating the best ones to bring to stay warm. Also have a pair of windpants that I love. Any thoughts on two base layers over a base layer and jacket? If my r1 hoody was warmer I’d skip the smartwool one too probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Also, upon weighing an initial base weight, I’m at 10.2lbs! Not bad.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Hey guys, I had a few specific questions in preparation for my hammock jaunt on the AT. I’m looking to head north to Maine in the beginning of May starting in PA, and I may be able to start at MAHHA (after the raffle and dinner of course) if my schedule lines up.

Anyway, here are a few questions:

1) Pillows: What hammock pillows can people suggest for lightweight, comfortable options while hiking? I’m looking for something to stabilize my head so I don’t strain my neck or need to put my arm behind my head. I haven’t had any luck with my clothes bag double-tasking as a pillow, but if you’ve had good experience with a Zpacks or similar fabric lined drybag option, I’d love to hear.

I used one from sea to summit and then one off amazon from instacamp. I like one with the fill valve on the side not in the middle like the sea to summit one.

2) Snakeskins: what suggestions do you have for snakeskins on a Cuben Fiber doored Tarp? My Hennessy ones seem too tight, have people sewn mesh ones for CF tarps that work well?

I got some mesh snake skins from Dutch for like $20 I think. They work great for my CF door tarp. You can also make them yourself.

3) Shoes: has anyone hiked in Altra Lone Peaks or Hoka One One Speedgoats, and have any feedback on them?

I tried Altra Lone Peaks for a few hundred miles. They are comfy but dont have anywhere near the traction my saucony pregerines have. I'd recommended a pretty aggressive tread to keep from falling down a lot.

4) Food staples: I’m not planning on pre-buying much food other than what I’ll start with, but come my first resupply, what are your favorite suggestions to be found in a grocery or convenience store?

So so many things: Peanut butter, tortias, rice sides, pasta sides, pepperoni, you can get lots of stuff at the grocery store. Convenience stores are lame for resupply.

5) Starting in PA: I’ve done some of the AT in VT and NH, but not much in PA and NJ- can those who’ve braved the rocks tell me a little bit about the section? It seems seemingly non-glamorous in comparison to New England but I’m certainly still excited to start here.

I am not gonna blow sunshine at you about the rocks. The rocks are not pleasant. I did the rocky section in PA twice last year and didn't like it either time. It reduces how many miles you can hike just by how sore it makes your feet.

6) Total pack weight suggestions: can those that have hiked big mileage clue me in on base weights that they were content with carrying?

This is kinda of a loaded question and depends on how much you weigh and how fit you are. I started with 33lbs. As I hike I found the most comfortable total pack weight range for me was 20-25lbs. If you are in the 35-40 range you are packing something you don't need.

Let me know your thoughts
    I would be happy to answer any other questions you have but my response may take a while since im headed out the PCT this weekend.

Happy hanging and happy trails.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Woooo buddy I’m excited for ya! I hiked t last year with my trusty Blackbird. Let me tackle your questions here.

5) Starting in PA: the rocks really do suck, but they certainly aren’t worse than the rocks you’re climbing in the Whites. The thing about Pa is that the rocks (which still totally suck) often hit nobos right around the time the worst of the summer heat and bugs do. At least that was the cause behind a lot of my frustrations.
    The state in general is really quite flat, however, and offers some real nice camping spots as well as road crossings near a town or pub.
    There’s a fire station in Port Clinton that has its own bar and is really quite friendly to thru hikers
    The rocks were really only bad for the last 3 days for me, so the last 50 or so miles. Then you hit the Delaware water gap and you’re into jersey, which I quite enjoyed.
    1.) Hosey's is one of the most awesome stops on the AT in Port Clinton.
    2.) Shrewd always beats me on the AT questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    1.) Hosey's is one of the most awesome stops on the AT in Port Clinton.
    2.) Shrewd always beats me on the AT questions...
    You’re beating Ol’ Shrewd to the PCT, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    I’m lucky enough to be getting the Speedgoats and the Lone Peaks free from each company b/c I work at a running shoe store and essentially begged their reps for them. I own a patagonia R1 hoody, a smartwool top and bottom, and a patagucci nano puff jacket, so I’m definitely debating the best ones to bring to stay warm. Also have a pair of windpants that I love. Any thoughts on two base layers over a base layer and jacket? If my r1 hoody was warmer I’d skip the smartwool one too probably.

I’d say the R1 might honestly be too warm.

Maybe start with it and possibly trade it for the smartwool as a mid layer after you’ve gotten a feel for the trail?

I wore my windbreaker (Houdini) as an extra layer more than any other item not counting my puffy (which was worn most nights around camp and in town)

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Two base layers seem like a bit overkill to me as well. Remember your rain jacket can be used an an insulating layer during the day even if its not raining. I used this and it worked to keep me warm even with snow on the ground. I saw many many other ATers doing this as well. Save your down for camp or long stops. I had a half zip nike base layer but it was way to hot to hike in. Bring the windpants. Thats one thing I wish I had on the AT they are so light and even comfy to hike in when its chilly. Rain pants are like hiking in a sauna and regardless of what the tag says with enough rain they will wet out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast