Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Structural lumber hammock shelter ideas?

Hi all. Looking for ideas on building a hammock shed. I’m building it in porch mode, 2x6 and plywood, 3 walls, a roof, and ridge pole. 14’ Long unless y’all think different. I’d like it to be compact enough that it can be moved if needed, but not feel cramped. When I say moved I mean having buddies come over and help move it. It’s going to have a little bitty wood stove and canvas tarp to cover the porch side when weather gets real ugly and I’m thinking 7-8’ peak roof height continuously sloping down from there. I’m 6’1” and want to be able to stand under cover and not crouch.

This is being done on my own property along a riverbank and will be setting up something similar at a buddies. My hammock is a Blackbird XLC. Would love to see a picture if someone has built a shed for hanging. I wouldn’t even ask, but y’all can be pretty crafty.

Sounds very nice and doable. Regarding length of said shed, my knee jerk reaction is to go 16', that gives plenty of room to hang about anything you might want to, uses even sheets of plywood or other siding, leaves room to vent the stove, ect..I hope you get this going soon, as I need(actually want) something similar. Good luck with the project.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Cowlitz, you are building something that I have often dreamed of making for myself. Here are my thoughts…

I would make a simple shed roof pitched down toward the rear of the shelter, rather than anything with a gable. This way I'll precipitation and debris is diverted to the back side instead of the entrance. Whay have A roof volume above you and the more complex roof line for shingling when you could have a single plane made out of less material and with a better view of the sky with your canvas awning retracted? A more complex roof would also be adding weight when the time came to move your shelter.

Since your shelter is going to have some kind of horizontal beams traveling from one side wall to the other, you should be able to design your shelter with less expensive 4x4 or even 2x4 lumber if you are judicious in its use.

I would attempt to eliminate any ridgepole or beam directly over the hammock in favor of strong horizontal beams along the top of the back wall and over the open front entrance; some 4x4 posts supporting strong diagonal end plates ( I have the only place you might want to use 2x6s) could do the heavy lifting, and you could frame out the rest of the walls with fairly light lumber. Eliminating any overhead beams also confers the advantage of removing any places where birds are likely to try to roost.

Similarly, I would do all of the cross bracing for your shelter on the outside surfaces of the three walls to help avoid avian infiltration; as you probably know, if you give our feathered friends even a half inch ledge inside your sheltered space, they will attempt to roost and excrete all over your hammock.

HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Sounds very nice and doable. Regarding length of said shed, my knee jerk reaction is to go 16', that gives plenty of room to hang about anything you might want to, uses even sheets of plywood or other siding, leaves room to vent the stove, ect..I hope you get this going soon, as I need(actually want) something similar. Good luck with the project.
    I agree with everything old4hats said. FWIW, bridge hammocks generally need 15' between anchor points should you or someone else want to give one a try.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Google shelter plans and then select images for a variety or plans and ideas.
    adk01.gif

Images
    Those are good ideas, thanks. Tried to reply earlier, I don’t know where I sent it. Anyhow...the cottonwoods are dropping stuff on my brand new tarp as I type this. Trying to keep my tarp in porch mode because I like to peak at the river. big gust of wind came up, pulled a stake and smacked me with one of my porch sticks. Gets down right western hangin on a river bank under 100 year old cottonwood.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    We’ll be over around 5 pm Tuesday to help you test it and make sure you have optimal sight lines of the river.
    Just kidding of course. Sounds like a great project and can’t wait to see pics.

With what I am imagining in my mind for what you describe, you better bring a whole lot of really strong buddies to move that thing. Maybe if you built it in sections otherwise I think it would be nearly impossible to pick up and move.

Hammock
    double eagle and grand sumo stand
    Insulation
    Snugpak TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    What about some of the old army tents 12ftx12ft springs to mind
    Have ability to take a stove
    Made of heavy alumininium tubing and heavy canvas
    Dismantable and movable
    Or even disaster type shelters
    Doesn't have to be made out of wood

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Not sure what you want for a roof, but I'm planning to put clear polycarbonate ("suntuff") panels on a chicken coop / run.

Those might be worth exploring for a hammock shed if you want more light. They are supposed to block UV.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast