Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down

Double layer Hammock - Is 2 layers of 1.6 Hyper D Too Much

Just getting ready to start on a Chameleon style (wide) double layer hammock .... all the materials are sitting on the work table and I find myself second guessing the layers I planned.

I bought 1.6 Hyper D and now am starting to wonder if I should consider using it in a single layer configuration. I am about 230#s so no issue with weight safety margin ... I am worried the 2 layers may be too stiff ... but I like the idea of 2 layers (last trip a single layer let go on my buddy, ended up having to head out early).

Any thoughts.

Brian

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If you are on the higher end of your fabric's single-layer load capacity, adding a second layer will definitely increase the firm, supportive character of your gathered-end hammock, in addition to increasing its versatility and convenience when using a pad for insulation inside of an underquilt. I have built quite a few double-layer hammocks now (about a dozen to date), including three Chameleon-style ones. On several DIY DL hammock I chose to use a lighter inside layer, typically pairing a 1.1 inner layer with a 1.6 oz or 1.9 oz outer layer; this gives a little extra firmness, a little boost to the load capacity, and the convenience of a pad-wrangling layer without adding too much weight or bulk to the hammock. This might be something you want to consider for your own build. HTH...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ameleon-Style)
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    At the end of the day this fabric is so inexpensive just try it out. If two layers is too firm try again with lighter fabrics.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Even though it far exceeds my capacity needs I went with two layers 2.2 Hex70XL on the last hammock I ordered. I like the Hex70 and I like heavy duty. Heavy duty does mean that it weighs a lot more than the wimpier fabrics. I just prefer the extra insurance just in case, say, a jeep ends up in my hammock somehow.

Double-layers keep the mosquitoes from biting thru too. But I think Id pair it with a lighter fabric. Do the hyper d xl with the 1.0 robic xl. That should give you around 440# capacity according to RSBTR. I think I am going with the hyper d as well really great feel to it smoother than the 1.7. I ordered samples of all of the fabrics from ripstop just to get a idea of the differences. another thing i do to cage the weight. I go to dream hammocks and use there hammock calculators and get a ball park weight of a double layer. They have most of the ripstop fabrics. with teh lighter fabrics a double layer isnt that many ounces more.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Modified HH HexFly
    Insulation
    Bubble Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie>Continuous
    What about two layers of 1.0 Hyper D?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Thanks for the feedback, I just needed some perspective I think.

Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    At the end of the day this fabric is so inexpensive just try it out. If two layers is too firm try again with lighter fabrics.
    Thank you, I was second guessing myself and this comment put things back into perspective. I am just going to proceed with the build and see what happens ....

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    My current hammock is a DIY two layer 1.6 HyperD. It works well, and is pretty firm. I'm preparing to start one for my wife that will be 1.6 outer/1.0 inner.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I just prefer the extra insurance just in case, say, a jeep ends up in my hammock somehow.
    I hate when that happens!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I just needed some perspective I think.

Thank you, I was second guessing myself and this comment put things back into perspective. I am just going to proceed with the build and see what happens ....

Brian
    I was guilty of the same indecision earlier in my DIY career and finally just realized I spend less on a hammock project than I do on most other hobbies I have ( or even some meals ). Plus you can repurpose many projects if you don't like them if needed. When I let go and just started 'doing' instead of 'thinking' it made the hobby a lot more fun. Nothing wrong with planning of course, but don't let it overtake the project.

If you don't like your dual layer 1.6 take the top layer off and use a different fabric. You can use the original top layer as a single layer hammock. You haven't backed yourself into a corner even if the original idea doesn't work the way you intended.

Enjoy the process !

• + New Posts