WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

UQ Protector--Ridgerunner

Initial review of my new 2QZQ underquilt protector that I plan on using with my Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock. Details: Burnt Orange color in Argon 90 fabric. (All my Warbonnet stuff is either brown or green so I wanted to add a little color.) Cost in May 2018 was $45 and that included shipping. Weight, 5.2 oz. The stitching and work of the product is exceptional. Material, stitching and seams are all high quality.

Want to show you some pictures and provide some initial feedback on my experience with it so far...

Weight 5.2 oz

To put the UQ Protector on the easiest way is to flip the Ridgerunner over (Pro-tip, this is the easiest way to put on your underquilt too. Hopefully my fellow Ridgerunner owners have figured this out already!)

To attach the UQ Protector, the directions say to "Place the spreader bar end pin through the tab on one of the corners of the underquilt protector before you place the spreader bar in the rectangular metal suspension bracket of the Ridgerunner and repeat on the other three corners." So that's what I did. So no clips or caribiners.

There are eight tabs (one on each corner and a second tab about 10-12" along the side). The ones on the corners next to the shockcord and lock are the "first set of tabs." The ones down the side a bit are the "second set of tabs." I have the "first set" (corner tabs) attached. You can see the "second set" on the side. I'll get back to this and how using the first set or second set affects adjusting the UQ Protector.

UQ Protector on before any adjustments. Ridgerunner is still bottom side up.

Ridgerunner flipped right side up now. Still before any adjustments.

Things tightened up. What I found was with the "first set" of tabs attached to the spreader bar, I needed to pretty much tighten the side adjustment shockcord about all the way to get the sides taut. Didn't have to adjust the head and foot end shock cords as much. You can see how the sides are gathered. Don't know if you can see it, but there is a cordlock for the shockcord in the middle of each side. The shockcord does not extend all the way to each corner, but about half way to each corner.

I've moved to the "second set" of tabs now. You can see how the sides are not gathered now. I could tighten the side shock cord a bit, but it wasn't really necessary. I did have to tighten the head and foot ends more now (almost all the way). So to reinterate, when I used the "first set" of tabs I had to tighten the sides a lot, but not the head and foot ends as much. "Second set" of tabs, didn't have to tighten the sides as much (if at all), but had to tighten head and foot ends alot!

The head and foot ends both have a left side and right side shock cord and cord lock. This is at "second tab" setting.

Continued in the next post.....
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 05-26-2018 at 19:00.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Another view of the head end adjustment

Picture of side adjuster cord lock. There's one on each side.

Laying in the hammock the UQ Protector does come up the side 5-6". I'm hoping this unexpected feature will help block wind a bit. It does block the view out somewhat.

The side of the UQ Protector are not super tight against the sides of the hammock. One thought I had that may or may not prove valid is I am going to want to make sure I have really good weather protection to keep water from getting into the gap.

UQ Protector on with the bugnet now deployed. You can tell I'm using the "second set" of tabs by the minimal amount of gathering on the side.

Laid out on lawn. The adjustments are in. (Shockcord tightened.) Kind of reminded me of a pack cover. I think once I "dial in" my adjustments, I won't really have to do a lot each subsequent time I put it on as long as I use the same set of tabs. (Changing tabs will require changing adjustment.)

I've taken all the adjustments out (loosened all the shockcord.)

Balled up

Final thoughts:
    I was expecting the underquilt protector to be a little more tailored to the Ridgerunner. The instructions state it can by used on either the RR or the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. It's not hard to do the adjustments and as I stated above once those adjustments are set it's not going to be hard to take the UQ Protector on and off. It's just that there is a lot of tightening of the shockcord that has to be done to get it to fit.

Second, I was thinking maybe a sewn on pocket to pack the UQ Protector into itself would be a neat feature. You know kind of like how some down jackets can pack into one of their pockets. I don't think it would add much weight and would be neat to have a convenient and easy way to store the UQ Protector.

I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces and seeing if the extra weight and volume are justified in my pack.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 05-26-2018 at 19:07.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Very nice review and photos. I have a black one. I like your color choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I almost went with black. Like I said I wanted to add a little color to my earthy Warbonnet palette.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    I have the exact same UQP! I love it! I actually attached both tabs together with zing-it and added a mitten hook on each corner. This allows for easy on easy off. Great review! I loved all the pictures, it made me feel like I was looking at my set up.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I don't own a ridgerunner (but am ridgerunner-curious), so could be completely off base here....but what about putting the saddle bags on the outside of the underquilt protector? That might keep it snugged in a bit closer, as well as stop it riding high and blocking the view.

I guess this would only work with some weight in the saddlebags though...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott8691 View Post
    I have the exact same UQP! I love it! I actually attached both tabs together with zing-it and added a mitten hook on each corner. This allows for easy on easy off. Great review! I loved all the pictures, it made me feel like I was looking at my set up.
    Thanks for the comment. I've thought a little about how to attach it in other ways. You'll have to post some pictures of your setup.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I don't own a ridgerunner (but am ridgerunner-curious), so could be completely off base here....but what about putting the saddle bags on the outside of the underquilt protector? That might keep it snugged in a bit closer, as well as stop it riding high and blocking the view.

With adequate weight in the saddlebags that might work. Not sure what "adequate " would be though. There's enough gap between the UQ Protector and saddlebags I think it might prove impractical. I'll try it next time I set up though.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    A fantastic review of what looks like a neat product. I appreciated the structure and detail of your report. I hope your new UQP serves you well.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post

The purpose of the UQP is to keep “splash up” from hard rain or rain blown sideways from getting your UQ wet. It also has the added benefit of keeping wind that is coming under your tarp from stealing your heat. So it is not meant to be snug like an UQ, nor does it need to be to serve its purpose. As far as view is concerned, I just loosen the shock cord along the sides to let the UQP sag down. Then when I want more protection, I tighten the shock cord.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast