Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Recently started using 15’ dyneema tree straps with Becker hitch on my chameleon but.....

Today my wife sat in the hammock w me and the pup...within 10 min we were on the ground.....not sure what happened but can’t really screw up a Becket hitch....the webbing appears to have torn some...lil leary as was well within load rating as I’m 220, dog 20lbs and my wife is about 115lbs. Thoughts...recommendations? I have the stock amsteel CL on my hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** fat fingers.....becket hitch

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Recently started using 15’ dyneema tree straps with Becker hitch on my chameleon but.....

Looks like tree strap had friction burn caused by motion—becket hitch slipped and tree strap damaged. Replace tree strap.
    This happens on occasion.
    Caused by becket hitch not tightened enough.
    If you just tighten bunny rabbit ear or bight
    Slip can happen. You gotta pull tight on continuous loop and single strap at top of hitch too.

Slippage can also happen if tree strap is too soft and slick.

Consider Carolina Becket Hitch
    Larks head free end of continuous loop and insert tree strap through larks head. Adjust hammock and finish Carolina Becket with a slipped half hitch around continuous loop. Tighten
    Make bunny rabbit ear or bight longer.
    Tie a slip knot one inch from hitch on side of bunny rabbit ear that does not move, when free end is pulled.
    This slip knot unlikely to pull through hitch and absolutely will not pull through larks head.
    Good Luck

Slip knots are directional. Orient slip knot so that it releases when loose end is pulled and does not release if being pulled into loosely tied hitch.
    Check amsteel loop for damage—blackened and or shiny and glazed.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-17-2018 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Looks like tree strap had friction burn caused by motion—becket hitch slipped and tree strap damaged. Replace tree strap.
    This happens on occasion.
    Caused by becket hitch not tightened enough.
    If you just tighten bunny rabbit ear or bight
    Slip can happen. You gotta pull tight on continuous loop and single strap at top of hitch too.

Slippage can also happen if tree strap is too soft and slick.

Consider Carolina Becket Hitch
    Larks head free end of continuous loop and insert tree strap through larks head. Adjust hammock and finish Carolina Becket with a slipped half hitch around continuous loop. Tighten
    Make bunny rabbit ear or bight longer.
    Tie a slip knot one inch from hitch on side of bunny rabbit ear that does not move, when free end is pulled.
    This slip knot unlikely to pull through hitch and absolutely will not pull through larks head.
    Good Luck

Slip knots are directional. Orient slip knot so that it releases when loose end is pulled and does not release if being pulled into loosely tied hitch.
    Check amsteel loop for damage—blackened and or shiny and glazed.
    If it’s a common occurrence not sure I want to pay $32 for straps that have only been set up a few times with lil hang time...less than 10 days old!....ugggg.....I guess I should have stuck with the whoopies....

Is it ok to use dyneema straps with amsteel continues loops?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes it’s ok dyneema strap with amsteel loops

Possibility—-you might have finished around strap rather than around amsteel loop——making a different knot altogether. Someone on Hammock Forums showed a picture of this easy to happen error.
    Were you able to visualize and tie Carolina Becket Hitch with my description?
    Myers Tech has a YouTube video showing almost completed Carolina Becket Hitch—-it only needs the crucial slip knot added to supply braking power to this knot. His video will get 95 percent to complete knot I’m describing. His knot is actually different—-since addition of slip knot makes a whole nother 🦓 🦔 animal.
    Good luck

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    If it’s a common occurrence not sure I want to pay $32 for straps that have only been set up a few times with lil hang time...less than 10 days old!....ugggg.....I guess I should have stuck with the whoopies....

I kinda saw this coming after using these straps. Why I quickly switched to MSH direct to CL. While I also don't like using hardware/bling when there is a perfectly good knot or hitch, in this instance it seems justified. A Ti toggle on a cord tied to the end of the strap won't get lost.

Edit to add: All MVHO, of course. I realize that compared to some I've been hammocking for what seems like 10 minutes.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-18-2018 at 06:41.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I kinda saw this coming after using these straps. Why I quickly switched to MSH direct to CL. While I also don't like using hardware/bling when there is a perfectly good knot or hitch, in this instance it seems justified. A Ti toggle on a cord tied to the end of the strap won't get lost.

Edit to add: All MVHO, of course. I realize that compared to some I've been hammocking for what seems like 10 minutes.
    I’m thinking this is a workable solution.
    And form larks head on free end of continuous loop and pass strap through larks head—-leaving all that assembled—-now continuous loop can’t fall off marlin spike hitch.
    I’ve looked at using excess strap length accordion folded as toggle replacement——-takes longer to do and will not work if all of strap is used between trees. It does work—-slower than titanium toggle

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    +1 on whatever Phantom Grappler suggests about knots. He is the knot master.

Also suggest taking a look at the J bend. I've had some great personal success using this knot with zero slippage.

The guy with some eyebrows shows you in this video:

PG, is this very much like the Carolina Becket, only msh on the strap, as opposed to larks head on the continuous loop?
    Last edited by Cabmanhang; 03-18-2018 at 08:51.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast