Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loco Libre Gear vs. Hammock Gear

I just pulled the trigger on a new quilt set for 3 season use. I went with a 30 degree 73" LLG Habanero 900 fill UQ and a 30 degree 75" LLG Ghost Pepper 900 fill TQ. I'm super excited about these quilts because they will be my first from George and LLG, whose quality I've heard is unparalleled.

These will be for 3 season use. I'll take them on my CT thru hike this July and my prospective AT thru a year after that. I know that the standard is 20 degree for 3 season use, but I am a fairly warm sleeper and it seems that the LLG quilts are very conservatively labeled. I considered HG, UGQ, and Wilderness Logic as well but through my research HG and LLG came out to the best quality and value. Now why did I choose LLG over HG? Here's my thought process when comparing a HG Incubator 20 with a LLG Habanero 30.

HG INCUBATOR 20

73" L
    44" W
    11oz. 850 fill down
    20.25oz total weight

LLG HABANERO 30

70"+3" = 73" L
    44" W
    10.5oz + 0.6oz = 11.1 oz 900 fill down
    18.9oz +~1oz = 19.9 oz total weight

These numbers lead me to believe that the LLG quilt being rated 10 degrees higher than the HG is not only going to be warmer (11 oz of 900 fill should in theory be warmer than 11 oz of 850 fill) but is also lighter.

The top quilts I considered:

HG BURROW 20

74" L
    50" W
    12oz 850 fill
    18.66oz total weight

LLG GHOST PEPPER 30

75" L
    52" W
    9.5oz + 1oz overfill = 10.5oz 900 fill + hotbox footbox (??)
    16.6oz + 1oz + 1.5oz = 19.1oz total weight

Again, appears to be a higher temp rated quilt that would in theory be warmer, and approximately the same weight. Is my logic flawed, or does LLG just measure their temp ratings much more conservatively? I've purchased the quilts already and I'm sure they will keep me warm in the conditions I plan to camp in, but I'm looking for some of your opinions and some confirmation that my thinking is justified.

Thanks for the time! I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Your logic is good. LLG quilts are amazing. Fantastic quality and a good bang for the buck. Especially his Reapers. This spring I'm selling all my HG and other brand quilts and going all LLG.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Honestly, it is hard to go wrong with any of our fine cottage vendors, but Loco Libre Gear absolutely rocks, and you will never be cold in one of George's quilts! I am confident that you chose wisely and will enjoy those new quilts when you first get a chance to use them.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    Your logic is good. LLG quilts are amazing. Fantastic quality and a good bang for the buck. Especially his Reapers. This spring I'm selling all my HG and other brand quilts and going all LLG.
    I almost pulled the trigger on a Reaper, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a heat stroke in one of those bad boys! Trust me though when its time to buy my -10 degree set, it will be a Reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Honestly, it is hard to go wrong with any of our fine cottage vendors, but Loco Libre Gear absolutely rocks, and you will never be cold in one of George's quilts! I am confident that you chose wisely and will enjoy those new quilts when you first get a chance to use them.
    Yeah the next 3 months are going to be a tough wait but they should arrive just in time for my CT thru. I've never had a poor experience with any cottage vendor, but LLG seems to be everyone's favorite!

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Papasmokes View Post
    I almost pulled the trigger on a Reaper, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a heat stroke in one of those bad boys! Trust me though when its time to buy my -10 degree set, it will be a Reaper.
    The grey one in the for sale sectoion? I was late. I wanted that quilt first time it was posted but missed it then too. lol
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Loco Libre Gear vs. Hammock Gear

I too noticed this when comparing these two companies. I have an underquilt from loco live gear and a top quilt from hammock gear. both quilts are exceptional and I'm very pleased with each. I have 100 percent confidence in each to get me to the claimed temperature ratings, but I think id trust the LLG underquilt to go a bit colder than its claimed rating.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have never owned a HG quilt. But I have 3 Loco Libre's. I'm sure HG makes some really nice quilts. But honestly, it would be very hard for me to not go back to LL for my quilt needs. George's work is just too good to pass up!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Locolibre : warmer, better comunication for any custom work or problem you might have. You talk to the designer directly.

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    Agreed with all of the above. LLG is amazing. You’ll love them. I’m working on figuring out what colors I want for 2 DIY 900 fill quilt sets. One 40* and one 10*. Luckily I’m making a bunch to sell and I can pick among the range of colors ��

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast